Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delimiter Slot Hosting - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Delimiter Slot Hosting

2»

Comments

• mycloud said: @MarkTurner can I ship an external drive to you and you have the case then bring to server room? XD

If you want but there would be a remote hands charge to remove the casing. It would be a LOT cheaper for you to ship it with the case removed.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

What if a drive dies in warranty time? Will you do the replacement process?

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @tr1cky - We can ship it to an address at your cost.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@MarkTurner said:
    tr1cky - We can ship it to an address at your cost.

So amazon return label you would ship it for free back to Amazon? No remote hands for that?

• @tr1cky - The cost to install disk is free, the cost to remove it, package it for return is $20. There are no additional costs.

If you wanted to ship the disk back to Amazon then you would need to arrange a prepaid shipping label or pay the shipping cost.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

And if I pay you a one-time fee for the disk? Do you handle warranty on your own then if the disk dies before warranty is void?

• @tr1cky - if we supply the disk, we will take care of returning it for you and unracking it without cost. Obviously the manufacturer's warranty applies, we are not warrantying the disk.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

I'd presume this is Atlanta only? No ETA on any EU locations for this?

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited June 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    luissousa - FreeNAS runs on ZFS so you want more RAM rather than less. I wouldn't want to run ZFS on 2GB RAM, so unless you can setup another FS type then I would budget for more RAM. There are other NAS projects that use things like EXT4 which is less memory hungry.

I've run ZFS in ubuntu on an Atom D510 machine that only had ~2.5GB ram and never noticed any problems and that was Raid-Z and all the drives on a PCI sata card.

Just do NOT turn on de-duplication as that really does need a lot of ram and the performance will tank if you do.

Also if this server is remote are you really going to be feeding it data fast enough that the ZFS becomes the bottleneck?

• BruceBruce Member

adding bring-your-own-disk feature to dedicated servers would be good. ;)

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @Bruce said:
    adding bring-your-own-disk feature to dedicated servers would be good. ;)

That would be nice

• rmlhhd said: I'd presume this is Atlanta only? No ETA on any EU locations for this?

There will not be an EU location for this product. Its been explicitly rejected because of insurance issues.

• Bruce said: adding bring-your-own-disk feature to dedicated servers would be good. ;)

CFarence said: That would be nice

Maybe this will lead to it, but it will mean that server needs to be in a different environment to our hosting environment. Like these slot hosting services, the servers are mounted in a different room with the colo customers.

We did float this idea around to a few customers, but there wasn't any big interest in it. If there is then of course we can try to get the discussions back on the table.

• @MarkTurner said:

Will there be other US locations? Would be nice to have my main server in Atlanta and the back up in like New York

• @CFarence - it will happen but the timeline is unclear right now. If there is sufficient uptake then the product will be expanded, if not it will just go into a sustaining mode in Atlanta and remain there. Part of this first phase is to get some real feedback from customers using the product then iterate it, so if you're already signed up then feel free to send feedback, this is uncharted territory so everyone will end up finding their feet as we go.