Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delimiter Slot Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Delimiter Slot Hosting

Just got this email today from delimiter. Seems like a very interesting concept, and the pricing isn't bad either. I would like to know where it is hosted, and the email says 4tb bandwidth but the order page only shows 1tb?

What are you're guys thoughts?

@MarkTurner

I lost count of how many times, I've been asked whether customers can ship us their disks. We've finally got a solution, we call it Slot Hosting.

Your disks around mounted to a KVM VPS with dedicated cores and memory. The basic package contains 1 dedicated L5520 core, 1GB RAM, 10GB boot disk, 4TB bandwidth and 1 disk slot; you can add and aggregate them as you need. The disks are presented to your VPS as raw devices so you can mount your choice of filesystem, setup software RAID or even encrypt the filesystem.

You can ship us pre-populated disks or just brand new ones right from retailers like Newegg or Amazon, SSD or regular spinning disks, you choose the size 1TB, 4TB, 6TB, its the same cost to host them. Alternatively we can provide you with the disks for a one-time payment.

The cost per slot is $30/quarter ($10/month) or $100/year ($8.33/month). All resources: RAM and CPU are fully dedicated, there is no sharing/fair share. You can order it here.

Comments

• Damn now that's a deal is ship a spare hdd and use that. Cheap and great for storage

• @cmsjr123 said:
    Damn now that's a deal is ship a spare hdd and use that. Cheap and great for storage

That's what I wanted to do with it, don't need that much processor or ram for a backup server :)

• MikeInMikeIn Member

Something bit different and pricing is also good. Maybe they can also provide HDD for 1 time payment for those who only need it for backup.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • ATHKATHK Member

@MikeIn said:
    Something bit different and pricing is also good. Maybe they can also provide HDD for 1 time payment for those who only need it for backup.

Says that in the OP..

Alternatively we can provide you with the disks for a one-time payment.

Thanked by 2CFarence MikeIn
  • Does Delimiter count bandwidth usage inside of the network against bandwidth used, or just data that transits their network edge?

I have a dedicated server there that I would love to use as a Plex server, and this would be handy for raw media storage.

• Pretty sure @MarkTurner can answer all your questions.

• Can't comment on the internal bandwidth but Mark has confirmed that it's 1TB/slot

• Be interesting to see what they charge for the drives if you ask them to supply them, I'd hope it would be close to what you could buy the drives for + a small markup for the hassle of ordering one for you.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited June 2015

CFarence said: I would like to know where it is hosted

You will need to ship to our datacentre at:
    55 Marietta Street
    Atlanta, GA 30303
    USA.

• Steve
  • CFarence said: email says 4tb bandwidth

I had this out with Steve because he has this in 3-4 different places. Here's the compromise. If you order before tonight 23:59:59 PST then you'll get 4TB in the package. Once you've ordered and paid, email [email protected] and you'll get the free bandwidth upgrade.

CFarence said: don't need that much processor or ram for a backup server

Its dirt cheap for what it is. Its 1GB because then customers can run larger NAS appliances on it, Plex servers, etc

DeftNerd said: Does Delimiter count bandwidth usage inside of the network against bandwidth used, or just data that transits their network edge?

Its bandwidth over the port from the VPS node, so even if the traffic is internal its being charged. The better option would be to get a private VLAN from the VPS to your server then its 1Gbps unmetered between them.

Umcookies said: Can't comment on the internal bandwidth but Mark has confirmed that it's 1TB/slot

See above on the 4TB compromise

• @MarkTurner said:
    See above on the 4TB compromise

Ah my apologies, was going off of what you said in the other thread. Glad to hear you've worked something out.

Just as a little heads up, the S3 link in the email sent doesn't appear to be linked to anything. All the other links are fine but the S3 is entirely blank. It may be just for me but fair warning as everything else appears to be fine.

• I dont have a copy of the email, but the URL is http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/objspace/

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • So, each slot gives you 1GB of RAM and 1 CPU?

• @luissousa - 1GB RAM, 1 dedicated core

Thanked by 1luissousa
  • @MarkTurner Kind of tempting. I've been researching about using FreeNAS with this, but they recommend at least 8GB of RAM and more 1GB for each 1TB of Disk. Wanting to use software RAID and Encryption, I am not sure if 2GB of RAM would be enough for 2x2TB

• @luissousa - FreeNAS runs on ZFS so you want more RAM rather than less. I wouldn't want to run ZFS on 2GB RAM, so unless you can setup another FS type then I would budget for more RAM. There are other NAS projects that use things like EXT4 which is less memory hungry.

• @MarkTurner Can you recommend one?

• @luissousa - I have never used any of them so can't give you an informed recommendation

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited June 2015

@MarkTurner You also accept external drives?
    Edit: Somebody knows a good price comparison site for the US?

• @tr1cky - No, nothing to plug them into. They need to be 2.5" or 3.5" so they can be placed in a caddy and racked.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited June 2015

MarkTurner said: @tr1cky - No, nothing to plug them into. They need to be 2.5" or 3.5" so they can be placed in a caddy and racked.

Often external drives are cheaper. Can't you just throw the case away?

• @tr1cky - you can ship them caseless, or you can pay remote hands to have some strip it down, but not worth it, by the time you've paid hands it was cheaper to buy a raw disk

• @MarkTurner

Do you know the pricing if we buy the drives from Delimiter?

• CFarence said: Do you know the pricing if we buy the drives from Delimiter?

Probably similar to Amazon/NewEgg.

If there is a specific disk you want, I can try to find out. FYI for my disks, I just ordered on Amazon and they were there next day.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited June 2015

Can anyone recommend some cheap drives from NewEgg/Amazon?

Is this one ok?

• @Droidzone - what size do you want?

• MarkTurner said: @Droidzone - what size do you want?

3 or 4 TB

• FYI - these are quite good:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-7200rpm-3-5-Inch-Internal-PH3400U-1I72/dp/B00OP2PKHW

You can get Delimiter to supply them directly if you don't want to deal with Amazon. I should be around $150 as Amazon will charge sales tax for delivery in GA.

• @luissousa - I checked on what others have been using and it seems to be:

• Plex server
    • Openfiler
    • NexentaStore (2GB)
    • Cloudbyte (2GB)
    Thanked by 2luissousa ehab
  • @MarkTurner can I ship an external drive to you and you have the case then bring to server room? XD