Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS vs Blesta - Why did you choose one over the other - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS vs Blesta - Why did you choose one over the other

2»

Comments

• Been using WHMCS since day one and already have extensive knowledge in it. I'm happy with WHMCS so don't need to change.

• Clientexec still around? :-P

• I dropped WHMCS when I joined the Blesta v3 Beta tests...been using Blesta ever since. The huge security issues that WHMCS has, as well as the weird way they did some aspects of things is really what made me go with Blesta. The fact that the Dev team is awesome and really likes to get input from the community is a huge plus as well.

While it may not be as full featured (yet), the code is pristine and having actively involved developers is hard to find these days.

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • edited May 2017

Sorry to drag up an old thread - but I am considering the move from WHMCS to BLESTA. I particularly like the Blesta Owned Lifetime license at $500 - that will save a heap from WHMCS over the years. I also love the open source concept - really dislike WHMCS obfuscated code.

So - those of you who have moved to Blesta - are you still there? Were you glad you made the move? What - if any - are the fish hooks to look out for?

• jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep

Blesta is solid so long as their lack of 3rd party module availability doesn't bother you. If you can code a bit yourself or don't mind paying for some plugins, go for Blesta.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@jonathanspw said:
    Blesta is solid so long as their lack of 3rd party module availability doesn't bother you. If you can code a bit yourself or don't mind paying for some plugins, go for Blesta.

That is if the plugins are available at all.

Thanked by 1varunchopra
  • jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

That's why I said "code a bit yourself" implying you might have to make your own plugin/module or pay someone to do so.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

I chose WHMCS because in 2010 Blesta did not exist, now in 2017 I see no real advantage in migrating to Blesta either in significant financial terms or in terms of performance or functionality.

Bleata has significantly out of date documentation, a migration path that has no regular testing and does not see an issue using their end users as beta testers, they also have a core community of hosts who are incredibly spiky which makes it hard to constructively discuss the product.

So in short, Blesta is a WHMCS clone with only disadvantages when paired against its original.

If a billing panel comes out that can offer more than WHMCS even at 2x the price tag, I am all ears.

For the record, I think WHMCS is a complete pile of shite and I think the devs/business leaders within WHMCS are in an echo chamber, they have made a worse and worse product that suits the model of WHMCS themselves rather than listening to the needs of actual customers more and more with every major release, at some point Blesta might become the less smelly turd entirely by accident.

• teamaccteamacc Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Bleata

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

lol updated.

I am using the Grammarly Chrome plugin, getting used to it still.

• I really like how everyone keeps barking on about the Blesta dev team being supportive but I've seen almost no progress in updates to the software in years.

Problems that customers complained about 2 years ago still exist and all that the developers have to say it is that they're working on it. Documentation that didn't exist then still doesn't; everything needs to be figured out via trial and error. Maybe in 10 years when Blesta gets to where WHMCS is now, I might use it. Till then, let the developers "work on it".

If I wanted to put this much effort into billing, I'd still be using excel sheets.

• i like whmcs but is very limited and doesn't meet my needs so i made my own :)