Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS vs Blesta - Why did you choose one over the other
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS vs Blesta - Why did you choose one over the other

Market research - I am trying to understand why you chose WHMCS or Blesta (not worried about the other billing systems out there).

Delimiter offers both Blesta and WHMCS but we see substantially more customers using WHMCS than Blesta even though we are offering Blesta for free.

Given the comments recently in the WHMCS topic about rate increases and people wanting to jump ship to Blesta, the number of WHMCS sales has remained the same for us; but the uptake of Blesta has not increased.

Comments

• Honestly I've been using WHMCS from when it first came out. Back then we also had WHM Auto Pilot V1 lol.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited June 2015

Blesta - clean cut, organized, however lack a lot of stuff. still my choice, don't find it confusing.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner lifehome
  • OnraHost said: WHM Auto Pilot V1 lol.

Thats a long time ago!

Thanked by 1OnraHost
  • @century1stop - do you get your license from your hosting provider or do you buy it direct from Blesta?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

There are so many integrations and modules for whmcs. If there is something you want to do with it chances are someone has already coded for it, if not there are a lot of people that create modules for it you can pay.

Also a lack of features in blesta that I use.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • I started using the blesta system again I got for free from @MarkTurner and I have to say that they have improved since the last time I used them.
    They have merging, splitting tickets already in the base support ticket manager.(wasn't like that the last time I used it)
    and they have just made more improvements I had been wanting in the base system.
    and I just decided to move from whmcs to blesta as I got the free license from @MarkTurner so why not lol(and furthermore like I said it has improved since I last used it.)
    As I can tell you multiple issues I was wanting in the base blesta system that they have implemented in the latest stable version.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @MarkTurner said:
    century1stop - do you get your license from your hosting provider or do you buy it direct from Blesta?
    I get it from my license provider lol, dc doesn't support billing app.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • WHMCS, - Leased

Blesta is overall good but lacks some major functions. Also all our guys are now used to whmcs, so migration will affect us a bit

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • timnboystimnboys Member
    edited June 2015

migration didn't affect me I had michael dance at licensecart to migrate mine for me(well that and I couldn't get the whmcs importer to work myself and was having to contact blesta dev's to figure out what is wrong and finally got it moved over clients & all.)
    I admit some of what I was used to in whmcs I have to relearn in blesta(not that I haven't used blesta before though)

• rds100rds100 Member

We are using WHMCS because this is what was available when we started offering online services to international customers. If we were starting today, Blesta would be considered too.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

Blesta looks better to me. We started using blesta on our few brands.

• i use both, whmcs for the main site and blesta for a small windows vps's site just because it comes with the free proxmox reloaded module.

• Our theme is integrated with whmcs....there will be significant effort to switch, fraud record plugin save us some time, we use some apis that blesta do not have, some billing provider is missing... and developer with which we have contact and trust enough to work on our scripting is familiar whmcs (trust is major issue)

P.S I plan to use blesta for our second project but main will remain with whmcs

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited June 2015

whmcs is so easy to setup, when i last tried blesta it was a pain to get everything setup properly however the guy from blesta is really helpful.

Software = WHMCS Win,
    Support = Blesta

• wychwych Member

I just didn't get on with Blesta when I tried it, not that WHMCS doesn't give me its fair share of headaches too.

• When we started WHMCS was the best solution, when we wanted to switch to Blesta (and still are looking to do it) the importer to blesta was a bit glitchy so we just gave up and stuck with WHMCS.

Depending on how WHMCS V6 comes out, blesta may end up coming out the stronger software.

• @MarkTurner said:

I don't even think 95% of the user base on LET was around for WHMAutoPilot v1-v3 :p hehe

• @Onrahost - there was also Platypus and Agilebill back in that era too.

• OnraHost said: WHMAutoPilot v1

I still remember that interface. LOL How far billing apps has gone. Now we are developing our own application for internal use.

Thanked by 1OnraHost
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Well if blesta gets its mass mailing many would move, not to mention we're freely allowed to manipulate the code according to our wish would be quite interested to use blesta over whmcs.

edited June 2015

@SNetworks1 said:
    When we started WHMCS was the best solution, when we wanted to switch to Blesta (and still are looking to do it) the importer to blesta was a bit glitchy so we just gave up and stuck with WHMCS.

Depending on how WHMCS V6 comes out, blesta may end up coming out the stronger software.

Really because I had a glitch with whmcs importer for blesta contacted the dev's at blesta and they gave me code to replace in the whmcsimporter.php to make my migration work.
    I can post the code and stuff the dev gave me to fix my problem

Timothy,

It looks like you have one or more service options in WHMCS that reference a term and currency which is no longer defined in your WHMCS database. You can skip importing bad service options from WHMCS by modifying /plugins/import_manager/components/migrators/whmcs/whmcs_migrator.php line 1194 from:

$pricing = $this->getOptionPricing($this->WhmcsServices->getTerm($option->billingcycle), $value_id, $currency);
    to:

$pricing = $this->getOptionPricing($this->WhmcsServices->getTerm($option->billingcycle), $value_id, $currency);
            if (!$pricing) {
                continue;
            }

That is how I managed to get my whmcs migrated over to blesta.

If you had issues like the above contact [email protected] and paul will help him you out as he cc'ed cody in the email and that is how I got the fix above.

• @MarkTurner said:

Platypus and Agilebill back in that era too.

Flashback to 2007 2008 lol. I just looked up Platypus...Seems ISP is developing it still --__-- http://www.ispbilling.com/integrations/

I do remember how ugly Agilebill was..along with WHT ad's for it hehe.

• @Onrahost - Platypus was late 90's when it came out. It was original supporting dialup billing too.

• MarkTurner said: It was original supporting dialup billing too.

Creation's inc. (my previous employer) was using it for billing (for dialup connections)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

WHMCS was chosen after Blesta failed to meet my needs. I won't go into any more detail or a certain person who sells Blesta licenses will show up and start hurling childish insults.

Thanked by 2mikho Jonchun
    edited June 2015

@Jar said:
    WHMCS was chosen after Blesta failed to meet my needs. I won't go into any more detail or a certain person who sells Blesta licenses will show up and start hurling childish insults.

I know who you are talking about licensecart correct lol?
    Isn't it sad we all probably on let know who you was talking about lol?

Thanked by 2jar cassa
  • lazytlazyt Member

@MarkTurner said:
    Onrahost - there was also Platypus and Agilebill back in that era too.

Now that is a couple of names I haven't heard in a while. Thank God.

• IMHO Blesta was just bland. When I looked at it I just didn't see anything, I actually got so upset with it that I got my friend a WHMCS license. I dunno just needs more features in my option.

• @MarkTurner I am using BrainTree with WHMCS. So, I am unable to switch for this reason. I might give Blesta a try with using Stripe. Blesta needs more gateway like Amazon, etc.,.

Also, I need to find out more about how to update the core of Blesta without breaking the template design. Anybody know?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

See the plugins, features available in Blesta, if you can live with them then Blesta is better, both in terms of costs and usability. Otherwise go for WHMCS, cluttered, ill-organized yet able to do most of the tasks you ever need to do.