Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did any "good" hosts go downhill? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Did any "good" hosts go downhill?

2»

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@cociu said:
    +1 for the Goodhosting, this time is a verry verry long vacations :)

I don't like to be a grammar nazi, but it's 'very', just one 'r'.

• How about veerrrrryyyyyy long vacations? :p

• @AnthonySmith said:
    hostrail :) and I don't mean the one that turned up in 2015, I mean the ORIGINAL hostrail.

To my knowledge no host has failed in such a spectacular way ever or with as much drama, you guys think GVH was silly.... boy oh boy if you don't remember the hostrail fail you know nothing...

This one is a beauty http://lowendbox.com/blog/hostrail-1-05-256mb-openvz-vps/#comment-16872 unix bench score of...... 79 :p

Am I the only person who quite liked HyperVM?

@JoeMerit said:
    I guess you could say EDIS went downhill in the lowend market. Everyone used to have one and now nobody talks about them anymore or really recommends them.. except you!

I think it's because before you could get an LEB in nearly every part of Europe for about 20eur/yr. I still use it now because they're OK with warez (and performance is great), even if it costs a little more than other hosts.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Nekki said: I don't like to be a grammar nazi, but it's 'very', just one 'r'.

you mean "berry"

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@4n0nx said:
    you mean "berry"

Your mum meant berry.

• yomeroyomero Member

gsrdgrdghd said: Those were the times!

Yep =)

AnthonySmith said: if you don't remember the hostrail fail you know nothing...

Hahaha! True. Personally I was lucky and had avergae support and average performance on my 3 boxes with Constantinos =P

telephone said: eNetSouth

A good one too, and still one of the few doing vmware stuff. I recovered my money in a paypal dispute. I think I was lucky heh.

DalComp said: Yes BlueVM was good

I wasn't lucky like that. Had a cheap KVM there and I was never happy with the performance. And I think the pricing scheme was too good to be true, from the start.

hostnoob said: EDIS is still a great host in my experience, I think the main problem is they stopped offering cheap low RAM boxes (minimum is 512mb now for 5eur/mo)

Isn't about price only. The new ToS are very restrictive for most activites.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

ATHK said: Yea CVPS bought them, nothing's changed its deadpooled IMO.

Many of changes have been/are being made and it is not deadpooled. Its the first time its had support in quite some time.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

jcaleb said: Carstensz Pyramid Server. I don't know what happened til now. I think some kind of emergency

Oh man, I almost forgot about them, I had first VPS there.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • bobbybobby Member

Hopefully just temp, but:
    Torqhost, which i found excellent before, are not anymore after being bought.
    Same with FileMedia.
    Both had excellent services for peanuts.
    Signs of improvement on both, though, but still not convinced.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

bobby said: i found excellent before, are not anymore after being bought.

It is called pump and dump. You runt he show at breaking even or making a loss, then you sell and get a lot of money.

Of course, it is not always like that, but many "business plans" in the industry include this, even bigger players such as DO or Vultr seem to think this way, at least from the initial and more recent moves.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Maounique said:
    It is called pump and dump.

Not in the case of TorqHost. They were genuinely very good for years and didn't seem to really give a shit about the LE* market (they've made one or two offers in the last three years). It just seems to be the new owners don't give a crap about providing half-decent support.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yeah, not always the case, but, if it is, then the new owners are in a very bad position, they must make money out of it, so something got to give, either increase prices ro lower quality.

• Anyone else remember that Egyptian host which was actually pretty decent for a few months and then shut down for a few weeks due to the Egyptian revolution?

• @gsrdgrdghd If you're talking about CityNetHost (only LET Egyptian host I know), it is alive and my VPS has been running fine since I got it (6 months ago).