Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did any "good" hosts go downhill?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Did any "good" hosts go downhill?

hostnoobhostnoob Member
edited June 2015 in General

I mean of all the hosts that are deadpooled, and hosts with awful reputation like BlueVM, Goodhosting, etc. were any of them ever highly rated/recommended (by the majority) like Ramnode, VPSDime, Prometeus, drserver etc.?

And if so, what caused them to suddenly go from being one of the best to one of the worst?

Comments

• DamianDamian Member

They got sold to someone who didn't care about the craft.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

BlueVM used to be highly rated believe it or not.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish jvnadr
  • @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    One of them often went on vacation.

And was "good" :)

Thanked by 1WickedGamingUK
  • ATHKATHK Member

@Traffic said:
    And was "good" :)

To be fair, before recent events the service was solid.

• MikeInMikeIn Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    BlueVM used to be highly rated believe it

or not.

+1

• Yes BlueVM was good, they even developed free panel Feathur.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • MikeInMikeIn Member

Feathur was also listed for croud funding. But did not get a good response. Still, @BlueVM didn't lost hope...

And developed Feathur.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yeah, I was a staunch supporter of bluevm. Had service with them for many years and still have, in theory, but not using now :(

Thanked by 2MikeIn linuxthefish
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited June 2015

Did BlueVM change ownership then? As for goodhosting, I know it had some OK reviews, but I always thought there was something a little off about that company (jcaleb's thread made me create this thread and I certainly wouldn't put my job on the line by recommending GH).

• ATHKATHK Member

@hostnoob said:
    Did BlueVM change ownership then?

Yea CVPS bought them, nothing's changed its deadpooled IMO.

• GoodHsoting was good but owner went on permanent holidays.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited June 2015

EDIS?

From my point of view they tried to clean up all the abuse a little too late.

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • telephonetelephone Member
    edited June 2015

Brandon and his company eNetSouth (and eNSCloud).

They were highly recommended, so much so that LET was even hosted by them (via a sponsored VPS).

They eventually met their demise after posting the very FIRST $7 for 2GB RAM offer. Not long after, their servers became overloaded, and Brandon eventually did a runner.

IIRC, this was also the situation that caused LEAdmin to no longer host on sponsored VPS, and move to Linode.

LET Down: LowEndTalk’s Current Situation at eNetSouth

Dead Pool: Dead Pool November 2011

Thanked by 3MikePT Steve ihatetonyy
  • @JoeMerit said:
    EDIS?

From my point of view they tried to clean up all the abuse a little too late.

EDIS is still a great host in my experience, I think the main problem is they stopped offering cheap low RAM boxes (minimum is 512mb now for 5eur/mo)

• @telephone said:
    Brandon and his company eNetSouth (and eNSCloud).

They were highly recommended, so much so that LET was even hosted by them (via a sponsored VPS).

They eventually met their demise after posting the very FIRST $7 for 2GB RAM offer. Not long after, their servers became overloaded, and Brandon eventually did a runner.

IIRC, this was also the situation that caused LEAdmin to no longer host on sponsored VPS, and move to Linode.

LET Down: LowEndTalk’s Current Situation at eNetSouth

Dead Pool: Dead Pool November 2011

That's too far back for me never heard of them! The first time I ever discovered LE boxes was when BuyVM did 128MB for $15/yr

I saw it on WHT and they all said it was stupid and wouldn't last lol.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • comXyzcomXyz Member

BlueVM was good, but it's too close to Green color

GoodHosting was good. But it didn't have good owner.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited June 2015

telephone said: IIRC, this was also the situation that caused LEAdmin to no longer host on sponsored VPS, and move to Linode.

Those were the times! LEA knew that BuyVM were a good host but didn't want to use them since him using an LEB provider would dimish his trustworthiness and integrity.

Compare that to nowadays where the admin literally gets paid by the host of many LEB providers, accepts free credit from LEB providers and has affiliate links to LEB providers in his signature

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

gsrdgrdghd said: Those were the times! LEA knew that BuyVM were a good host but didn't want to use them since him using an LEB provider would dimish his trustworthiness and integrity.

He always had the issue with QuickWeb and another brand he used before them where he had to always be clear that the site was hosted via sponsorship with said provider. It was always a pain for him so when eNetSouth went bust he took it as a chance to move everything to Linode.

eNetSouth's owner (Brendan? Brandon? Sorry!) showed up again a while back and supposedly had lots of stories to share but then disappeared just as quick.

Francisco

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

2KHost were quite well thought of for a while, then the owner shit the bed, disappeared for a few months then turned up here offering his services as a mod/contributor. Disappeared again shortly after.

Another fall from grace appears to be Iniz. Top 3 in every poll for a year or so, then Patrick sells and nobody likes or recommends them anymore. Not sure that's a reflection of a dip in quality or not as I'm no longer a customer, but the descent was pretty rapid.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

hostrail :) and I don't mean the one that turned up in 2015, I mean the ORIGINAL hostrail.

To my knowledge no host has failed in such a spectacular way ever or with as much drama, you guys think GVH was silly.... boy oh boy if you don't remember the hostrail fail you know nothing...

This one is a beauty http://lowendbox.com/blog/hostrail-1-05-256mb-openvz-vps/#comment-16872 unix bench score of...... 79 :p

• gkzgkz Member

Oh right, at that time, Hostrail, RackVM, Enetsouth, were giving a good service at low prices.

Contatinous went ddosing and dissapear. Rackvm can't keep the low price and dissapear. Enethsouth, they provide vmware vps with a good service too.

• gkz said: Oh right, at that time, Hostrail, RackVM, Enetsouth, were giving a good service at low prices.

To be fair, their business model was basically to provide good services for 2-3 months, sell as many yearly plans as possible and then disappear with the money leftover from the yearly plans

• has that model died off? I do not believe we are seeing a lot of that anymore.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@JoeMerit said:
    has that model died off? I do not believe we are seeing a lot of that anymore.

If it is dying off a bit it is only because the larger hosts are doing VPS with more features than the kiddie hosts can compete with, and at a great price too.

• JoeMerit said: has that model died off? I do not believe we are seeing a lot of that anymore.

I guess it's because people are more careful with hosts now. People seem to be more averse towards providers offering too-good-to-be-true plans, however there are still enough idiots who purchase servers from obvious fail hosts.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2015

gsrdgrdghd said: I guess it's because people are more careful with hosts now.

Actually, no, i think the model is dead because even with yearly plans there are way too little money to be made, it does not tempt even kids which want to double their pocket money.

eNetSouth went south after very strong performance, IIRC was the last host that managed to make me believe was here to stay and deliver good performance. LEA got duped too.
    Later on, Brandon came here and seemed incoherent and like on drugs, I suspect he wasnt the guy which run it or the illness or drugs caught up with him.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Carstensz Pyramid Server. I don't know what happened til now. I think some kind of emergency

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited June 2015

I guess you could say EDIS went downhill in the lowend market. Everyone used to have one and now nobody talks about them anymore or really recommends them.. except you!

• cociucociu Member

+1 for the Goodhosting, this time is a verry verry long vacations :)