Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rackspace Email hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rackspace Email hosting?

UmairUmair Member

Hello,

Anyone here using RackSpace email hosting? I have a client who is interested in email solution like this. I looked around and found their prices to be reasonable for the features they have listed. (Plus they do have a good reputation and my clients also like them).

Anyway, I was about to signup but I looked at their status and kinda shocked. Looks like their email hosting was having issue for almost 7 days. (status.apps.rackspace.com)

So my question is, Anyone here using them?
Do they really honour SLA?
And lastly how is their spam filtering??

Thanks

Comments

• I think @shovenose is using them.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I've been using them for over a year now with no issues at all. Nice web client.

• MisterGMisterG Member

We have been using them for over 2 years without any issues. I have one client who has over 2000 mailboxes and a number of smaller clients with just a few. Their support has been great and answers questions quickly. I have not seen any outages that I know of. A lot of users do like their web client and they just added an SMS recovery for passwords. That has helped.

As for spam filtering I have not had any complaints and I would guess catches almost everything it needs to. One some domains I was proactive and white listed some domains we wanted to be sure were not blocked.

As for the issues a few days ago I was not aware of that but seems to be only some users. I have seen notices in the past about an issue but really have not had any problems.

-G

(by the way this is my first post, please be nice)

Thanked by 1Umair
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Been using it and also reselling it for years now. Had one outage about 15 mins in that whole time span. Spam filtering is great, I get tons and 0 ever in my inbox, but false positives are rare. Support is excellent - once spent two hours troubleshooting a problem with me that ended up being on my end. Webmail interface excellent as well. Highly recommended! If you only need 1 mailbox I resell cheaper, if more than 5 go with them direct.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • jhjh Member

We use Rackspace Apps. Spam filtering is great, never had any outages, good prices too.

• ReeRee Member

Technically it was just one issue that took a week to resolve, so it's not like they were having multiple failures over that period of time.

I'd be more concerned about their incorrect usage of EST :)

• RizRiz Member

+1 for Rackspace though -- managing a handful of companies emails through it currently and it's working great so far.

• mikeimikei Member

Rackspace has a minimum of 5 mailboxes. Anybody knows if it's per domain or multiple domains? Thanks!

• MisterGMisterG Member

They require you to purchase 5 mailboxes but after you set up the first domain name you can move some of the boxes to a different domain. I think you have to contact support for that.

• mikeimikei Member

Thank you, MisterG. I think it's worth trying.

• I use Rackspace Email and Rackspace Hosted Exchange -- works fine (most of the time) and keeps it hassle free for me!

• alice2kalice2k Member

http://mailgun.com - 10 000 email free SMTP
    You can start a lot of accounts and just change the connection settings.

• @mikei said:
    Rackspace has a minimum of 5 mailboxes. Anybody knows if it's per domain or multiple domains? Thanks!

One way around this minimum requirement is to use a reseller.
    I use www.thexyz.com where you can purchase individual mailboxes. The service 100% Rackspace, you can access your account via the Rackspace webmail portal at apps.rackspace.com

• sinsin Member
    edited May 2015

Does anyone have any recommendations on Rackspace E-mail resellers? I'm using Fastmail which is fantastic but I would love to try out Rackspace's services without paying $10/month since I really only need 1 mailbox.

I might go with www.thexyz.com but wanted to know if there were other resellers out there.

• MisterGMisterG Member

You can get Rackspace email for $1/mo if you ask their rep on another site. I googled "rackspace email discount" and found on another site I could ask the Rackspace rep on there and they discounted the email to $1 a month (recurring). You set up your free trial of RS email then give them your account number and they adjust your billing.

Was not sure if I am allowed to post the link or not? Maybe in PM?

Thanked by 3Umair MikePT sin
  • I have been using this service since the couple of years, working accurately without facing any troubleshoot.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited May 2015

sin said: I would love to try out Rackspace's services without paying $10/month since I really only need 1 mailbox.

Their email hosting is $2/user/month. It's hosted Exchange that's $10.

Thanked by 1Droid
  • AeneAene Member
    edited May 2015

@Dylan said:
    Their email hosting is $2/user/month. It's hosted Exchange that's $10.

Yes, but you need a minimum of 5 users so that's $10/month unless you find MisterG's site.

• UmairUmair Member

Thanks everyone :)

BTW, while I am testing things out with Rackspace, I think their interface is rather way too basic.

Webmail of zoho.com seems pretty good though. Anyone using them? (Paid account) ?

• Umair said: Webmail of zoho.com seems pretty good though. Anyone using them? (Paid account) ?

One of my friend using them, they're pretty solid.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@MisterG said:
    You can get Rackspace email for $1/mo if you ask their rep on another site. I googled "rackspace email discount" and found on another site I could ask the Rackspace rep on there and they discounted the email to $1 a month (recurring). You set up your free trial of RS email then give them your account number and they adjust your billing.

Was not sure if I am allowed to post the link or not? Maybe in PM?

We have been using Rackspace Emai for years, could you please PM me ?

• MisterGMisterG Member

@maoyipeng That's it. Just email their sales rep and as for the discount. Include your account number. They add it to your account and it recurring. It discounts to $1 for email and to $8 for Exchange.

• does mxroute support calendar/contacts? (which webmail?)

Are there some german/EU alternatives?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

@Die_Quelle said:
    does mxroute support calendar/contacts? (which webmail?)

Are there some german/EU alternatives?

Still having some trouble with contact/calendar sync over Z-Push, but still planned. It's easier to just say I don't support it and surprise people with it later, better than making any promises I can't keep.

However, if you don't mind adding separate calendar/contact sync URLs from OwnCloud, every IMAP account includes free OwnCloud storage. OwnCloud does have built in CalDAV/CardDAV.

Webmail options are roundcube and squirrelmail with horde in the near future.

• akbakb Member

MisterG said: That's it. Just email their sales rep and as for the discount. Include your account number. They add it to your account and it recurring. It discounts to $1 for email and to $8 for Exchange.

What about the minimum 5 email addresses limitation. Can that be by-passed somehow?

• @akb From what I can tell I don't think so. You should reach out on their online chat and see what they say.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@akb said:
    What about the minimum 5 email addresses limitation. Can that be by-passed somehow?

Hit up @shovenose to get around it easily. Show some love to a reseller :)

• brgsbrgs Member

Also interested in Rackspace, but I'm concerned by the 5 mailbox minimum as well (I only need one). Is there any reputable reseller that can offer only one mailbox ?

• DylanDylan Member
    edited June 2015

@Jar said:
    Hit up shovenose to get around it easily. Show some love to a reseller :)

Your recommendations are usually spot on, but man, shovenose? His services have always been super flaky -- I'm sure you remember all the ShoveHost false starts and restarts and closed services drama.

He even said he stopped doing Rackspace email last year, so if he's selling it now he apparently restarted this venture too. There are dependable and reputable Rackspace email resellers out there. I don't think you should send people to someone undependable just because they post on LET.