Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need an expert to talk to about Virtualization on a dedi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need an expert to talk to about Virtualization on a dedi

alterlaialterlai Member
edited May 2015 in Help

I'm moving over to virtualized servers. I've been trying to get it working for the last couple days but i can't seem to be able to get the networking side of it working.

I would like someone who can help me, to contact me and help me via steam, PM on this site or skype to setup a subnet.

At the moment I'm running a dedi with proxmox installed on it with 1 public IP, but in order to run multiple virtualized servers, I want to setup a private network. So public ip might be 192.168.1.23(for example) and have a private network with a subnet of 10.0.0.0/24. The dedi is from the Hetzner server provider.
I've tried a lot of different configurations but when I try to ping google for instance, it only goes as far as the public IP. I have a moderate understanding of networking in general and virtualization but there's just a tiny detail i'm forgetting.

Thanks in advance.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/alterlai/

(I prefer steam).

Comments

• alterlaialterlai Member
    edited May 2015

I think that's one of the methods i tried. However in the post they say Proxmox by default creates one interface, vmbr0.
    However in my case this interface was called eth0, and could not be used as a bridge. When i tried to change it to vmbr0, i wasn't able to connect to the server any longer.

Do you have a solution for this issue?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    iptables -A FORWARD -s 10.0.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.0.0.0/24 -o eth0 -j SNAT --to 192.168.1.23

also make sure you have 'net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1' in your sysctl.conf

If you get really stuck I can do this for you at the weekend, I have a bit to much on right now to take on in kind work :)

• sc754sc754 Member

You could always try setting it up as per the networking section from my guide here:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/21980/a-quick-guide-for-setting-up-windows-on-the-new-kimsufi-range

Thanked by 1alterlai
  • alterlaialterlai Member
    edited May 2015
    > iptables -A FORWARD -s 10.0.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT
    > iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.0.0.0/24 -o eth0 -j SNAT --to 192.168.1.23
    > 

also make sure you have 'net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1' in your sysctl.conf

If you get really stuck I can do this for you at the weekend, I have a bit to much on right now to take on in kind work :)

What about host and guest interface settings?
    I followed the documentation i found. Don't know if this is the correct way of doing this though.

This is what i have now:
    HOST:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 5.9.44.39
    netmask 255.255.255.224
    gateway 5.9.44.33
    broadcast 5.9.44.63
    up route add -net 5.9.44.32 netmask 255.255.255.224 gw 5.9.44.33 eth0
    auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 5.9.44.39
    netmask 255.255.255.255
    pointopoint 5.9.44.33
    gateway 5.9.44.33
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 1
    bridge_hello 2
    bridge_maxage 12
    auto vmbr1
    iface vmbr1 inet static
    address 10.0.0.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    bridge_ports none
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

GUEST:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 10.0.0.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    pointopoint 10.0.0.1
    gateway 10.0.0.1

• @sc754 said:
    You could always try setting it up as per the networking section from my guide here:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/21980/a-quick-guide-for-setting-up-windows-on-the-new-kimsufi-range

I'll be sure to check it out! thanks!

• @sc754 said:

I followed your blog post and it's working perfectly now! thank you so much.