Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest place to get WildCardSSL - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest place to get WildCardSSL

2»

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

twain said: I thought I've seen posts on other threads indicating this was not an issue with the vmbox wildcard cert.

Again:

• Technically possible
    • Not allowed by the upstream TOS
  • @mpkossen said:
    In all fairness, other providers seem to offer them for free with VPS and whatnot, so this could be viable. I've got three of these wildcard SSLs for free with servers and I didn't get the feeling I'm ripping off the providers that gave me these.

In the end I decided to go with them because at the end of the day if I loose $5 its not a big deal. So far their support have been quite impressive, a lot of response times within 10mins. It just seems scam cheap when you look at some places charging $200-$400 for the same thing at the end of the day.

• twaintwain Member

@Nyr said:

• Not allowed by the upstream TOS

No mention of this in the TOS/aup:

http://my.vmbox.co/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=43.html

Please advise the source here.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Microlinux said:
    1000th "Cheapest Wildcard SSL" post of the month!

I know it's off-topic, but isn't that from Romney's campaign? I'm pretty sure I see his R logo in the photo there. Either way, I'll keep my mouth shut before this turns into a political cest pit.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

twain said: Please advise the source here.

Follow the chain:

VMBox -> SingleHop -> AlphaSSL

Even if VMBox says nothing in their TOS, SingleHop has partenered with AlphaSSL to offer certificates only for services within SingleHop's network.

You can use them externally for now, but don't be surprised if one day they start cracking down on this. AlphaSSL/GlobalSign was the same CA revoking the fraudulent Chinese and Indian certificates sold here.

• WilliamWilliam Member

twain said: Please advise the source here.

Singlehop is fairly clear on that.

• NihimNihim Member

@Nyr said:
    We don't know where they are obtained from, but with those prices I doubt they are an authorized reseller for the CA.

Pardon my ignorance so at worse it might get revoked? There is no "security concern" right? And yeah I am not hosting anything that would matter even if that was the case (aka if I did I would get one from a trusted seller).

@SNetworks1 said:
    In the end I decided to go with them because at the end of the day if I loose $5 its not a big deal. So far their support have been quite impressive, a lot of response times within 10mins. It just seems scam cheap when you look at some places charging $200-$400 for the same thing at the end of the day.

I am slightly confused, can you specify which one you went with? The price does match GVH and not VMbox but...

Cheers

• @Nihim said:
    Cheers

Went with GVH just down to cost... $5 for a wildcard certificate is silly cheap from what I had seen.

• yomeroyomero Member

Nihim said: There is no "security concern" right?

Right. And yes, they may revoke it and that's all.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Self signed ssl is cheapest ssl.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@SNetworks1 said:
    Went with GVH just down to cost... $5 for a wildcard certificate is silly cheap from what I had seen.

Have you got your SSL ?

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Have you got your SSL ?

Currently waiting for them to fix a problem with the issued certificate... First time it was my fault, this time I have got a 7 year certificate for a domain thats not a domain... So yeah, just waiting for them to fix that, otherwise so far its been a reasonably painless experience.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@SNetworks1 said:
    Currently waiting for them to fix a problem with the issued certificate... First time it was my fault, this time I have got a 7 year certificate for a domain thats not a domain... So yeah, just waiting for them to fix that, otherwise so far its been a reasonably painless experience.

Sent you a PM.