Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest place to get WildCardSSL
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest place to get WildCardSSL

SNetworks1SNetworks1 Member
edited May 2015 in Requests

Hey All,

My current WildCard SSL Certificate is coming to expire, and it would be quite useful to get a new one. I have two idea's of how to go and hoping to get some advice here.

I have done some additional research into the options I have, and a WildCardSSL Certificate would be the best for usage. The problem is the places I have looked are relatively expensive for what I wanted to be spending. Currently im looking at anything under £50GBP per year.

If you have any recommendations of places to go / good deals I would appreciate it.

Comments

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited May 2015

lowendtalk.com/search?Search=wildcard

There's literally a thread once a month with this request. Here's a link to the latest thread started last week: wildcard or single SSL prices

Thanked by 3jar cassa Pwner
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

http://greenvaluehost.com/ unlimited wildcard SSLs!

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@perennate said:
    http://greenvaluehost.com/ unlimited wildcard SSLs!

Where ?

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Where ?

Im guessing this: https://portal.gvhclientarea.com/cart.php?gid=5#"

That does seem silly cheap...

• 1000th "Cheapest Wildcard SSL" post of the month!

Thanked by 3jar Pwner WebProject
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I can do Comodo PositiveSSL Wildcard at $75/year.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

What about one of those Chinese certs everybody seems to love so much?

@Nekki said:
    What about one of those Chinese certs everybody seems to love so much?

Not so bad, I've tried. Good Indeed.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

SNetworks1 said: That does seem silly cheap...

Looks very shady, specially coming from GVH.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

We've had pretty good luck with GoGetSSL so far.

• BruceBruce Member

anyone want free?

• frankfrank Member

@telephone said:
    lowendtalk.com/search?Search=wildcard

There's literally a thread once a month with this request. Here's a link to the latest thread started last week: wildcard or single SSL prices

Its more like a few times a week.

There really should be a sticky thread for SSL cert stuff as its a very common request.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2015

Nekki said: What about one of those Chinese certs everybody seems to love so much?

WoSign free certs are not wildcard, you need to make a list of all subdomains you will actually use (up to 100), but if you can come up with such a list, then sure you can easily use them instead of wildcard, and they're valid for up to 3 years and not just 1 too.

• DroidDroid Member

@Bruce Are you offering free?

• BruceBruce Member

@xClone84 said:
    Bruce Are you offering free?

well, I can try.

the deal is you have to buy a shared hosting account, which comes with free wildcard SSL. while in beta the account is free.

no promises though. not tested it yet

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Where you buy this shared account from? Can I get a PM?

• DroidDroid Member

Same here.

• ChalipaChalipa Member

@Bruce i would need one too if you can provide

• BruceBruce Member

just checking the setup. back in 10

Will be happy if you PM Me also or post it here :-)

• BruceBruce Member

PMs sent. markdown sucks, apologies for the formatting of the instructions. processing the CSR is offline, which I don't have control of (timing to receive SSL)

that's probably enough testers thanks

• BruceBruce Member

send the first request off. when I get it back I'll check to see if it works on other servers.

• NihimNihim Member

@Nyr said:
    Looks very shady, specially coming from GVH.

I have seen some, pretty much all of them, negative comments for GVH's vps / shared, but how exactly could they rip you off on that?

I am asking cause I am interested in getting a cheap wildcard cert (and not the wosign one).

So far the two best possible choices are them and VMbox, for the latter of two I am not exactly how well it would play out if I got a vps for a couple of months and used the cert outside their network.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Nihim said: how exactly could they rip you off on that?

We don't know where they are obtained from, but with those prices I doubt they are an authorized reseller for the CA.

There had already been two occurences here in LET:

• A Chinese scammer was selling certs obtained via hacking and they got revoked.
    • An Indian was just breaking the TOS of the CA and the certs couldn't be renewed/revoked as he promised.

Nihim said: VMbox, for the latter of two I am not exactly how well it would play out if I got a vps for a couple of months and used the cert outside their network.

Technically you can and nothing will happen, but is not allowed.

• @SNetworks1 said:
    That does seem silly cheap...

In all fairness, other providers seem to offer them for free with VPS and whatnot, so this could be viable. I've got three of these wildcard SSLs for free with servers and I didn't get the feeling I'm ripping off the providers that gave me these.

• BruceBruce Member

2 beta slots still open

• TomTom Member

@Bruce I'd love one

• lucastlucast Member

AlphaSSL works like a normal ssl?
    So cheap, so strange.

• BruceBruce Member

pm sent

• twaintwain Member

@Nyr said:
    Technically you can and nothing will happen, but is not allowed.

I thought I've seen posts on other threads indicating this was not an issue with the vmbox wildcard cert.