Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you use Docker? If so, what for? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you use Docker? If so, what for?

2»

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

elwebmaster said: As far as OpenVZ, it is still good for reverse-proxy / tunnel to the KVMs...with its pathetic privacy I have always been reluctant to use OpenVZ if not in control of the host node.

KVM and Xen aren't exactly private either.

• Reading a lot about the docker, and still trying to figuring out the use case.

The traditional DevOps uses the orchestration toolset like puppy, chef, saltstack, ansible to provision the environment, then use fabric, Capistrano to deploy the code, and rely on uwsgi and gunicorn(I am only familiar with python wsgi server) to automatically reload the web app once the last request is served. This is a proven practice for zero downtime deployment.

The new world gears towards deploy a container, just like deploy an AMI in AWS: you provision, deploy the code and build a docker image, then swap the old image with the new image in the production.

It confuses me that:

• how do you keep track and automate the package deployment? The DSL used in docker seems pretty primitive compared with salt or puppy.

• how do you achieve zero downtime deployment? I don't want the user see a 502 error when the deployment is in action.

Also managing the production network is quite challenging. You really don't want to use DHCP in the production as you have no control of the host IP address. Everything should be explicit.

• Docker is awesome for rapid application deployments. For instance, I can fire up a Dockerflix proxy within seconds on a low-end VPS. However, for reasons outlined here, I'd never use it for something like a production MySQL installation.

• @pechspilz said:
    Docker is awesome for rapid application deployments. For instance, I can fire up a Dockerflix proxy within seconds on a low-end VPS. However, for reasons outlined here, I'd never use it for something like a production MySQL installation.

One of the good & bad things about the Interwebs is that anybody can write whatever they want, there is no "peer review process". The blog you are referencing is one such example: the author has no clue what he is writing about. As is mentioned in the comments on his blog: upgrading MySQL live with apt-get outside will docker will incur the same overhead as spawning a new docker with upgraded MySQL. In addition, it is orders of magnitudes riskier (if you have ever had to deal with MySQL upgrades involving config file changes...).

For Dockerflix do you just use KVM or have you been able to install it on a low-end OpenVZ box?

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • BruceBruce Member

micronuggets

ROFL

• @elwebmaster said:
    For Dockerflix do you just use KVM or have you been able to install it on a low-end OpenVZ box?

I have 0 experience with Docker on OpenVZ. I always prefer KVM so I can use things like ipset and StrongSwan.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited May 2015

@bookstack said:
    Also managing the production network is quite challenging. You really don't want to use DHCP in the production as you have no control of the host IP address. Everything should be explicit.

If you bother reading the docs on the site, you'll see that it lets you the do the networking yourself if you so choose instead of relying to its dhcp. Other people let networking on its own and do service discovery - much easier imho.