Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you use Docker? If so, what for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you use Docker? If so, what for?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm curious if anyone here is using Docker on their VPSes and what you're using it for.

I've screwed around with it but haven't found a need for it. Then again my VPS tasks are pretty mundane - web/database, backups, monitoring, etc.

I'm curious if people are doing cool things with docker that I may have missed...?

Comments

• jrsmithjrsmith Member

Locally I've been using it for development instead of vagrant for the last year and a half or so. It's lighter on resource usage than vagrant, which by itself is a big win. I'm also trying to get kubernetes up and running on one of my online.net servers so I can start learning that without paying exorbitant prices for GKE or Amazon's container engine.

• My favorite setup is: One big ass server with everything dockerized, reversed proxied locally then reverse proxies on tiny boxes.

nginx on edge <-> ngingx on main <-> docker containers

Now I want to add docker swarm to the set up to have multiple "main"s.

Docker is so so so so so so so so cool.

Thanked by 2jar vimalware
  • cassacassa Member

I use it local for development. I also use it on servers because I don't want to be busy installing software, one command and it's up :D

Thanked by 1telephone
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2015

I fear that I do not fully understand the concept behind docker. But I must admit that I never did any research before and just read about it on the forums.

Is the following assumption right?
    I imagine Docker as "some kind" of Hypervisor that has to be installed on a server. Once done, I can throw in ready-made application containers to fullfil different tasks, like a webserver container, a database container, a complete and turnkey wordpress install or whatever. Is this (at least) half-correct?

• @Amitz said:
    I fear that I don not fully understand the concept behind docker. But I must admit that I never did any research before and just read about it on the forums.

Is the following assumption right?
    I imagine Docker as "some kind" of Hypervisor that has to be installed on a server. Once done, I can throw in ready-made application containers to fullfil different tasks, like a webserver container, a database container, a complete and turnkey wordpress install or whatever. Is this (at least) half-correct?

Pretty much yes.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2015

So, can I take a random docker container and start it on a totally different docker "node" (or however the mothership is called) without any modification to the container itself? What about network settings (I imagine DHCP would be necessary) and so on? Does anyone have a proven good "Docker for complete Dummies" ressource for me to do some reading? Would be very much appreciated!

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited May 2015

@Amitz said:
    So, can I take a random docker container and start it on a totally different docker "node" (or however the mothership is called) without any modification to the container itself? What about network settings (I imagine DHCP would be necessary) and so on? Does anyone have a proven good "Docker for complete Dummies" ressource for me to do some reading? Would be very much appreciated!

a) Yes.

b) Done for you by the docker daemon

c) Use the docs, Luke!

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • BruceBruce Member

so, similar to OpenVZ containers, but with less isolation between containers? that is, suitable when you have "friendly" neighbours

edited May 2015

@Bruce said:
    so, similar to OpenVZ containers, but with less isolation between containers? that is, suitable when you have "friendly" neighbours

Zero overhead, plus you don't usually use docker for multiple users but for separating your own things, so no problem with neighbour quality. But you can do multi-users with resource restrictions if you like.

• @deadbeef said:
    Zero overhead, plus you don't usually use docker for multiple users but for separating your own things, so no problem with neighbour quality. But you can do multi-users with resource restrictions if you like.

It's not exactly zero overhead. In particular in terms of networking you must modify the standard Docker setup to overcome the Docker bridge slowing things down a lot (https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/7857).

Thanked by 2deadbeef vimalware
    edited May 2015

@zeitgeist said:
    It's not exactly zero overhead. In particular in terms of networking you must modify the standard Docker setup to overcome the Docker bridge slowing things down a lot (https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/7857).

Compared to OpenVZ, it is. Obviously not zero, as in "exactly the same as bare metal". As for the network, I did not know that bottleneck, never had an issue in practice but I 'm not doing shitloads of traffic.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Bruce said: so, similar to OpenVZ containers, but with less isolation between containers? that is, suitable when you have "friendly" neighbours

Think of Vmware, KVM, etc. as presenting a "virtualized machine".

OpenVZ presents a "virtualized kernel/operating system".

Docker provides a virtualized platform. Its chief advantage is that I can setup processes on my desktop or system 1 in its container, and then move the container over to system 2 and they just work, without worrying about if the correct libraries are installed, if we're at the same OS version, even the same OS type, etc. I don't have to think/worry about anything outside the container. Also, container maintenance is a lot lighter...I don't have to patch/update the OS inside the container, etc.

• ehabehab Member
    edited May 2015

Docker tips can be a big asset in the lowendguid wink wink

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ehab said: lowendguid

Is that a Global Unique Identifier that has a lot of duplicates? :-)

• SadySady Member

Can we run docker on an OpenVZ container?

• ehabehab Member

@raindog308 said:

docker is #2 in my never ending todo list, if i managed to do something without reinstalling the whole pc i'll try to be the hero :D no promises for now.

• ehabehab Member

@Sady said:

only saw on KVM maybe someone else can tell his adventure.

• @Sady said:
    Can we run docker on an OpenVZ container?

"Since OpenVZ kernel 042stab105.4 it is possible to run Docker inside containers."

Source: https://openvz.org/Docker_inside_CT

• yomeroyomero Member

@Sady

Yeah, you can, with the freaking slow vfs storage, doing lots of copies of the files wasting space.

Also, you will need to find a provider giving you a veth network interface instead of a venet one, which I am still waiting to see (buyvm is doing it for some purpose irrc? And that's the only one).

Thanked by 2deadbeef vimalware
  • From what I can tell Docker is more for large deployments. Most of us don't need to install the same container/server 100's of times. LXC meets my LEB needs just fine ;) I wonder who the first LXC LEB provider is going to be? Or has it happened and I missed it????

• virulentvirulent Member
    edited May 2015

I use docker to host everything separately (web/mongo/mysql/etc) as well as for development. I'm used to jails on FreeBSD so this kind of separation w/ containers on linux is really awesome.

Tools like e.g. docker-compose make setting up dev/test/live environments a breeze to do too. compose in particular is really easy to use :-)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@deadbeef said:

Multi-tenant setups with Docker are not a good idea. It is not designed for that.

Thanked by 2deadbeef jar
  • Ryan22Ryan22 Member

docker made it easy to deploy multi stack apps like discourse forum

• I like docker, but does it help with high scalability and replication of the DB for example?

• @elwebmaster said:
    I like docker, but does it help with high scalability and replication of the DB for example?

Totally irrelevant. Docker is about scaling deployments, not scaling ... databases. Use a darn cluster for that.

• @deadbeef said:

I don't think it's irrelevant. You can use Docker to spin up any DB server. You can also put Dockers in a cluster. My question is if there is an easy way to have the Docker cluster spin up DB Dockers on demand, the spin them back down.

• @elwebmaster said:
    I don't think it's irrelevant. You can use Docker to spin up any DB server. You can also put Dockers in a cluster. My question is if there is an easy way to have the Docker cluster spin up DB Dockers on demand, the spin them back down.

You can spin up the containers, but you have to automate the cluster configuration. If your cluster does service discovery and sharding automatically, I suppose you're ok.

Thanked by 1elwebmaster
  • Just dockerized Deluge and Plex last weekend for fun - great learning experience.

I'm starting to dockerize anything new I make - unfortunately I need a KVM container or similar, but most of my leb's are OpenVZ's.

• @Silvenga said:
    Just dockerized Deluge and Plex last weekend for fun - great learning experience.

I'm starting to dockerize anything new I make - unfortunately I need a KVM container or similar, but most of my leb's are OpenVZ's.

Yeah, I am going this way as well. I think this will be a good use for my DO credits: setting up a Docker swarm between dedis and DO.

As far as OpenVZ, it is still good for reverse-proxy / tunnel to the KVMs...with its pathetic privacy I have always been reluctant to use OpenVZ if not in control of the host node.