Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Price increases -any different than DO changing terms of its program? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Price increases -any different than DO changing terms of its program?

Comments

• salathesalathe Member

@Seriously2015 said:
    salathe per their TOS they can change prices at anytime without notice.

Sure, they can do that. It doesn't make the news any less disappointing.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • J1021J1021 Member
    edited May 2015

Storage plans are now running on the latest E5 gen processors, RAID10+SSD cache and 10GbE.

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

TarZZ92 said: i think that part is a huge give away

they where using high performance E3 core's now using crappy slower E5's

They also delete forum's posts. I tried to ask them to give info about RAID twice. 1st time they just closed the thread, second time (today) they just delered the post.

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

jaden said: Why are they increasing prices and reducing CPU speeds? It makes no sense. If you're going to increase prices, at least give people a reason. Their CPU speeds were one of the main reasons I used them.

Yes, totally agree.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

i did actually run a VM after my last post and it appears they where still using E3's maybe a mix of the two.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

TarZZ92 said: maybe a mix

When you have local storage and dont do failover you can have a mix easily. Otherwise you need different zones and you have a lot of headaches even so.

As for the trend being lowering the prices, yeah, but it is not so much as it once was. The cost of fraud is still high and cant go much lower now even if hardware/hosting is free.

The problem with increasing prices comes from the fact that current model is (no longer) sustainable. It can lead to this: higher prices->some people leave->less economy of scale->higher costs->higher prices-> more people leave, etc.

When a host increases prices, the risk of this is high. Some simply increase them because they can, Vultr seems to be in that category, but you may never e sure.

• getvpsgetvps Member

1CPU/768MB RAM/15GB HDD (5$) vs 1CPU/1GB RAM/20GB HDD (10$) , maybe better is to buy 2x at 5$, 2CPU/1.53GB RAM/ 30GB HDD ..

• Which RAID configuration uses Vultr again? Sorry, totally forgot it.

• DennisDDennisD Member
    edited May 2015

@IceCream said:
    Which RAID configuration uses Vultr again? Sorry, totally forgot it.

Nobody knows. Best kept secret in the world, highly doubt they use RAID, otherwise they would've told us already.

• lazytlazyt Member

I dunno about that. As much as it annoys some of the people on here I would probably keep it secret as well.

• @IceCream said:
    Which RAID configuration uses Vultr again? Sorry, totally forgot it.

RAID1337

<\jk>

• J1021J1021 Member

@DennisD said:

Also, Amazon AWS haven't disclosed whether they're using RAID.

• J1021J1021 Member

What's your point? That's a document outling how you can configure software RAID within your VM. It doesn't say anything about whether the hostnodes are utilising RAID.

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2015

?

k perhaps I wasn't being clear, I thought it was common knowledge that instances on AWS are provisioned mostly if not all using their EBS storage, which is distributed and offers i think 99.999%+(maybe more) reliability.

See: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/Storage.html which explains at the top level relationships between the amazon instance and its varies backend storage infrastructures.

There is no reason to not disclose information on how client's data are protected against the possibility of data loss due to drive/hardware failures.

@kcaj said:
    What's your point? That's a document outling how you can configure software RAID within your VM. It doesn't say anything about whether the hostnodes are utilising RAID.

edited May 2015

If one chooses to provision their vm using the instance storage backend. Then amazon explicitly states the following:

The data in an instance store persists only during the lifetime of its associated instance. If an instance reboots (intentionally or unintentionally), data in the instance store persists. However, data on instance store volumes is lost under the following circumstances:

Failure of an underlying drive;
    Stopping an Amazon EBS-backed instance ;
    Terminating an instance

Therefore, do not rely on instance store volumes for valuable, long-term data. Instead, keep your data safe by using a replication strategy across multiple instances, storing data in Amazon S3, or using Amazon EBS volumes. For more information, see Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS).

ref: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/InstanceStorage.html

So there is nothing mysterious about the amount of reliability you have, whichever storage backend you decide to go with.

• J1021J1021 Member

@hblee17 They're not commenting on RAID specifically. Vultr also have external solutions for redundancy. "Backups" take regular snapshots of a VM and store them on an external redundant storage system.

• Vultr really is solid. I've not had a single moment of downtime with them after around 9 months of using them (with about 10 different servers in different locations at different times).

However, they suddenly dropped support for their 3.6GHz processors overnight, and then increased the prices without warning. They also lack DDoS protection. For these reasons I am moving my servers away from them ASAP.

However, if you are happy with a 2.4GHz processor and their prices, you should go for it. I've had more problems with DO (their main competition) than I have with Vultr.

I used to get large latency spikes with DO which was happening for around 6 weeks, and they never apologised or even acknowledged there was a problem in support tickets. They simply kept saying it was at my end rather than theirs; but that doesn't explain why 40 other people had the same problems as me in different cities/ISPs. Wouldn't recommend.

• J1021J1021 Member

Josephhewitt said: For these reasons I am moving my servers away from them ASAP.

Out of interest, where are you moving to?

• @kcaj said:
    Out of interest, where are you moving to?

That's actually why I signed up here. Still looking. I made a post in the requests section to hopefully find a provider that would do better than Vultr did. I've gotten well established with Vultr which means now that I'm moving I can raise the budget a bit

edited May 2015

@kcaj :
    I am aware that this thread wasn't really about whether Vultr has RAID on the compute nodes.

I wasn't going to comment on this until you suggested that Amazon also does not disclose information on whether they use RAID. I just didn't want the readers to be misinformed and think that none-disclosure on how client's data are protected against data loss is somehow a standard practice in the industry, because it is not. In fact, I think its quite the opposite.

If, Vultr uses external solutions for backups, ex, taking regular snapshots of client's VMs as you stated. Then that implies that when there is disk failures, clients should expect to lose any data stored on their virtual machines prior to the last automatic snapshot backup; and the amount of data lost will depend on how often the snapshots are being taken. I don't have any references as to what method Vultr uses to ensure data reliability so I am not going to comment further on this matter.

I also did not mean to be offensive if any is perceived.

Best.

• end discussion user banned. Like Seriously

• Do the Vultr snapshots count towards credit?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    end discussion user banned. Like Seriously

Why? The op only contributed once after starting the thread, so it's clearly been doing fine without his input.

Thanked by 3J1021 Mark_R Pwner
  • NomadNomad Member

Uhh, I wish I had spent my Vultr credits before.

Vultr had the best cpu speeds when I compared it to other "cloud" providers I use. But if what @TarZZ92 says is true, they downgrading the CPU whilst increasing the price.

Makes it really much more expensive.

• @Nekki said:

was joke ;)

• @Josephhewitt said:
    That's actually why I signed up here. Still looking. I made a post in the requests section to hopefully find a provider that would do better than Vultr did. I've gotten well established with Vultr which means now that I'm moving I can raise the budget a bit

I've heard good things about iwStack. I've also had a good experience with myrsk who offer cloud services (although I'm just using openvz)

• sinsin Member

@funyuns_are_awesome said:
    Do the Vultr snapshots count towards credit?

They are free, I've had mine stored for awhile and you can deploy them anytime.

• nightshadenightshade Member
    edited May 2015

Thinking this well be the next thing they charge for. But then its an extra feature, so I would have no problem paying for it. Assuming it's priced correctly.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited May 2015

Did Vultr 3.60ghz vs Vultr 2.40Ghz benchmarks with other providers mixed in for comparison https://community.centminmod.com/threads/digitalocean-vs-vultr-vs-linode-benchmark-compare.2889/. Basically, if you can use 3.60Ghz ones, do so !