Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Price increases -any different than DO changing terms of its program?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Price increases -any different than DO changing terms of its program?

Seriously2015Seriously2015 Member
edited May 2015 in General

@nightshade pointed out in another thread that Vultr increased its prices. When you look at it some are fairly substantial (33% increase). Of course this is masked by a 20% sale so the impact is minimized until people adjust to seeing numbers that look fairly identical to Linode and DO for 1 GB VPS and above. Everyone screamed for grandfathering in on the Do coupon/credit stacking giveaway. Where is the outrage for grandfathering in on the original Vultr prices? Your coupon/credit money value at vultr just took a huge and permanent hit as it now can not buy as much. Now what makes Vultr better/same as DO and Linode? The differences seem to be blurring. So one company limits credit usage and is eviscerated on the forum, another jacks up prices- and...crickets chirping...

Comments

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited May 2015

Maybe more locations and faster speeds ?

Companies need to generate profit to provide good services ...

or Maybe a simple math is involved... If up to 20% left that will be compensated from increased prices but will left 20% more resources to customers which stay

Personally I do not like that policy of sell cheap then increase ... I do not like coupons etc

• Actually Vultr dropped cpu core speed down to 2.4. They used to advertise 3+ cores. I think the common was 3.4. I have one running 3.6.

• Seriously2015 said: Now what makes Vultr better/same as DO and Linode?

More locations... Custom ISOs... plus Vultr performance is still great.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

nightshade said: Actually Vultr dropped cpu core speed down to 2.4. They used to advertise 3+ cores. I think the common was 3.4. I have one running 3.6.

i think that part is a huge give away

they where using high performance E3 core's now using crappy slower E5's

• The Sata storage plans have increased too, but those don't even have a sale!

• Vultr has some features like Windows support, custom ISOs etc. which will attract some users. However, with this price increase, Linode / DO is a much better option for a majority. Both Linode / DO are launching more locations, and Linode is known for reducing its price periodically. I think Vultr is going to have a tough time competing.

• DH22DH22 Member

Can't believe anyone would pay those kind of prices to Vultr, at least the prices if they get rid of the 20% discount.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

DH22 said: Can't believe anyone would pay those kind of prices to Vultr, at least the prices if they get rid of the 20% discount.

Can't believe anyone uses services like that other than with free credit. Can just get a cheap VPS from here for a year instead of a month.

• J1021J1021 Member

4n0nx said: Can't believe anyone uses services like that other than with free credit. Can just get a cheap VPS from here for a year instead of a month.

Why can't you believe it? Linode have been doing well in this market for years.

Shock: I've 2x 1GB KVMs at $18/mo each.

• sinsin Member

@4n0nx said:
    Can't believe anyone uses services like that other than with free credit. Can just get a cheap VPS from here for a year instead of a month.

Because there's a lot of shitty lowend hosts out there, I would much rather spend the extra few dollars to get a host that I know is not going to deadpool, have a shit network or uptime, etc.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

sin said: Because there's a lot of shitty lowend hosts out there, I would much rather spend the extra few dollars to get a host that I know is not going to deadpool, have a shit network or uptime, etc.

I must have been always lucky.

kcaj said: Shock: I've 2x 1GB KVMs at $18/mo each.

Why not just get a dedicated server for that price ,_,

• DH22DH22 Member

@sin said:
    Because there's a lot of shitty lowend hosts out there, I would much rather spend the extra few dollars to get a host that I know is not going to deadpool, have a shit network or uptime, etc.

This. I'm often paying many times the typical LET prices. I would have no interest in using most lowend hosts if their services were free. Good, reliable service is not cheap.

I pay Castlegem close to $20 USD per month for a VPS with relatively low specs (768mb, 2CPU, etc). I also pay Steadfast $150 per month for a dedicated that is also much worse spec wise than many lowend host's' dedicated servers at a third of that price or less. Do I want to pay this much? Of course not. But I've had way to many problems across a large number of cheaper hosts and got tired of constantly to new hosts when service became poor.

These are extreme cases though where I need the best of the best as far as update, reliability, latency, performance, etc. For many purposes I can sacrifice a bit in areas other than uptime to get a more reasonably priced VPS such as Digital Ocean (very rarely use any VPS cheaper than that).

Thanked by 1ozfingwe
  • salathesalathe Member

Did Vultr send an email out to customers? According to my inbox, they forgot to notify me in writing.

Not that an extra couple of dollars is going to hurt (me) too much, when the providers in this area/price range are much of a muchness. The claimed downgrade in host machines is troubling, however.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

Vultr is reliable and fast, if a price increase is necessary to sustain this then i have no problems paying a little extra.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

funyuns_are_awesome said: The Sata storage plans have increased too, but those don't even have a sale!

and decreased. storage sizes are smaller on lower plan

• praveenpraveen Member

After long time I am seeing a provider increasing the price while others are reducing.

• godonggodong Member

Been spending hundreds of Dollars on Vultr, now that they increased their pricing, I'm more inclined to move stuffs over to Linode/DO moving forward...

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Mark_R said: Vultr is reliable and fast, if a price increase is necessary to sustain this then i have no problems paying a little extra.

that's the attitude of a dumb consumer (no offence) prices are going down in the industry overall, not going up

Thanked by 2rm_ FrankZ
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    that's the attitude of a dumb consumer (no offence) prices are going down in the industry overall, not going up

Ironic that you are the one bringing up the word attitude. Anyways, like i indicated before - im more than satisfied with their services and will support it even if that means paying more. For me it is worth it, who are you to judge?

Thanked by 3yomero J1021 netomx
  • jadenjaden Member

Why are they increasing prices and reducing CPU speeds? It makes no sense. If you're going to increase prices, at least give people a reason. Their CPU speeds were one of the main reasons I used them.

I've been using Linode since 2009 and with one exception, they have only increased performance at the same price. (The exception being no more 8-way CPUs, but really, that was kind of crazy to begin with). And they've gotten rid of the 1 and 2 year discounts.

I'll still use Vultr, but after this change, I'll probably stick with Linode and Digital Ocean.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Mark_R said: Ironic that you are the one bringing up the word attitude. Anyways, like i indicated before - im more than satisfied with their services and will support it even if that means paying more. For me it is worth it, who are you to judge?

Am not judging you i said no offence, but like i said prices are going down (rapidly) not up.

• I don't get it. I've used Vultr before because of their CPU speed and prices. But if there is nothing to make them stand out from the pack, I'll go with a more established and transparent company from now on. It's bad enough that Vultr's site is a ripoff of DO's, now they are copying the plans too.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited May 2015

@godong said:
    Been spending hundreds of Dollars on Vultr, now that they increased their pricing, I'm more inclined to move stuffs over to Linode/DO moving forward...

So you've been happy enough with Vultr to spend hundreds of dollars, but now their pricing is the same as DO/Linode you're going to move?

Although I must say I only use Vultr when I need to do some stuff on a Windows server or I want to run a gameserver, so price increases aren't that bad for me. I usually use the $5 plan anyway which has stayed the same

• godonggodong Member

@hostnoob It's all based on value, not loyalty. The reason we used them right now is the pricing in comparison to DO/Linode. They're less known than Linode or DO, and have a slightly less features as well. Which is OK given their old pricing and what we need, but when they raise their price, their value compared to DO/Linode change, and for me, right now, it is less.

If they can increase that value with other differentiator such as:

• Better CPU/Disk/HW in general
    • More community friendly approach
    • More clarity on what RAID (if any that they use)
    • Additional features such as managed DB/Load Balancer, etc ...

I see that you're using windows server, so yes, that maybe a differentiator that tilt them more to your favor. I will still use them if I need Windows server ... But for linux server, IMHO, their other direct competitors offer more value for the money.

Thanked by 2rm_ FrankZ
  • blackblack Member

godong said: It's all based on value, not loyalty.

Only if you can convince some of the Apple users that....

Thanked by 2martip07 Maounique
  • @salathe per their TOS they can change prices at anytime without notice.

• J1021J1021 Member

@black said:
    Only if you can convince some of the Apple users that....

Maybe Apple users value the strong focus on customer service in their stores. I for one do.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • PwnerPwner Member

@kcaj said:
    Maybe Apple users value the strong focus on customer service in their stores. I for one do.

Nah, it's more about the quality of our products. We don't need to worry about replacing our devices due to bad quality manufacturing, which costs a lot more in the long run.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited May 2015

@4n0nx said:

My DigitalOcean VPS has been more reliable than every single one of my LEBs (and I'm super picky with my hosts, so we're talking top providers).

DO also has very fast (like 5-15 minutes) and quite solid 24/7/365 support, which I and many others are willing to pay a premium for.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @funyuns_are_awesome said:
    The Sata storage plans have increased too, but those don't even have a sale!

I still have an active storage plan instance with 320GB for $8/month. It was always slow as heck, but useful enough for backups.

Looking at the new plans, there is now 250GB for $10/month. In other words, price per GB for a comparable instance increased from 2.5c/GB to 4c/GB - that's an astonishing 60 percent increase.