Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 rDNS via API
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 rDNS via API

I am searching for a provider that offers IPv6 rDNS updates via API.
Vultr does but I am about to dump them.

Nope for: Digital Ocean, Linode, EC2 and Rackspace. none offer it.

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Ask them to delegate your subnet to us and use our API (see signature)

Thanked by 1wuzamarine
  • If for some reason they wouldn't do that, what VPS providers have you worked with that would delegate rDNS to you?

• @gbshouse said:
    Ask them to delegate your subnet to us and use our API (see signature)

^^

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

To be honest no idea

• @gbshouse said:
    To be honest no idea

Because it can't be done. The gateway of the network must be configured for that network before it can accept traffic. rDNS is specifically designed to prevent any tricks/hacks in naming.
    Nice try though.

• WilliamWilliam Member

wot are you talking about? You can subdelegate a /48, RDNS has zero to do who routes this block.

Subdelegation of /48 and larger should be done via the RIR, smaller should be a subdelegation on your own NS.

• @William said:
    wot are you talking about? You can subdelegate a /48, RDNS has zero to do who routes this block.

Subdelegation of /48 and larger should be done via the RIR, smaller should be a subdelegation on your own NS.

rDNS hits the NIC, following a step by step (in reverse) query of your name. If my name = ip address, the only way I get that traffic is if my gateway knows about my network. Routers connect network, so without a router or a tunnel, you can forget achieving http://www.dollardns.net/cgi-bin/dnscrawler/index.pl?server=&name=4.6.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.4.1.8.0.0.c.6.0.f.9.1.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa&type=PTR&class=IN&lr=12&submit=Send+Query#report

• wuzamarinewuzamarine Member
    edited May 2015

that final step is a setting at your ISP binding your name to your IP address at the very last network hop before your NIC.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

So you are a new user, start to bash on many provider thread + bash on Vultr service that meet your API needs? Pretty good entry on LET community......

• WilliamWilliam Member

wuzamarine said: that final step is a setting at your ISP binding your name to your IP address at the very last network hop before your NIC.

Your info is simply not true - The RIRs have the zone for their own larger blocks which give back the DNS of your ISP which either reply the query or forward it further. At NO POINT EVER is it required that the network is announced or in use.

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    So you are a new user, start to bash on many provider thread + bash on Vultr service that meet your API needs? Pretty good entry on LET community......

I'm just looking for a new provider and not really finding any talent.
    Just a developer on a mission.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

It's not how it's work here.

Make a thread, ask you real requirements and wait for people to answer you. Stop to spam provider thread with "No API" call without telling what you need.

• @William said:
    Your info is simply not true - The RIRs have the zone for their own larger blocks which give back the DNS of your ISP which either reply the query or forward it further. At NO POINT EVER is it required that the network is announced or in use.

smirk it's called arpa and the network is in the name -> 235.43.126.75.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer cyberciti.org.

• WilliamWilliam Member

which means... nothing? Why would it ever touch your network?

I have multiple /48 IPv6 with working RDNS which are announced nowhere, works perfectly fine - RDNS resolves to RIPEs NS for the /20 netblock, RIPE gives my NS as its subdelegated there, request is resolved on my NS (which does not and should not be located inside the netblock it resolves).

• @wuzamarine said:
    smirk it's called arpa and the network is in the name -> 235.43.126.75.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer cyberciti.org.

Granted if the admin at vultr were willing to surrender reverse dns, a redirect is possible but I don't see any admin doing that for anybody.

• @William said:
    which means... nothing? Why would it ever touch your network?

I have multiple /48 IPv6 with working RDNS which are announced nowhere, works perfectly fine - RDNS resolves to RIPEs NS for the /20 netblock, RIPE gives my NS as its subdelegated there, request is resolved on my NS (which does not and should not be located inside the netblock it resolves).

forgive me partner, I read the apnic rDNS manual and I appear to of missed that trick. How do you get RIPE to point directly to your NS on not your ISP?
    https://www.apnic.net/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/9792/Reverse-DNS-manual.pdf

• I would love to unplug this dependency on a API feature. But it's the only solution I found. I run my own DNS, never came across a way to configure bind to do what you are saying. I thought it was impossible.

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

just signed up to tunnelbroker (free) get a /64 or a /48 and in the HE panel set your nameserver for rDNS delegation (where rage4 comes in) and then you can control all via an API. Or better yet just delegate to your own DNS server for automatic management.

Thanked by 1kkrajk

@wuzamarine said:
    How do you get RIPE to point directly to your NS on not your ISP?

You get the ripe maintainer of the IP block to create a 'domain' object setting the reverse name servers.

• wuzamarinewuzamarine Member
    edited May 2015

@Zappie said:
    just signed up to tunnelbroker (free) get a /64 or a /48 and in the HE panel set your nameserver for rDNS delegation (where rage4 comes in) and then you can control all via an API. Or better yet just delegate to your own DNS server for automatic management.

Thank you very much!
    I gather IPv4 is the same way, but I don't see any IPv4 info on the Hurricane Electric website.
    Who's the best IPv4 tunnel broker?

I work with a lot of email which requires both IPv4 and IPv6 rDNS.

You probably misunderstood how tunnelbroker works. Its a free services that you can get a /64 (or /48 on request) routed to your server (regardless where and with who it might be) over IPv4.

So in theory you will stick with your current provider or what not having IPv4 API support and to solve your issue with IPv6 rDNS api support (this thread) you could use tunnelbroker for this as they can do delegation. Just something to think about :)

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @Zappie said:
    You probably misunderstood how tunnelbroker works. Its a free services that you can get a /64 (or /48 on request) routed to your server (regardless where and with who it might be) over IPv4.

So in theory you will stick with your current provider or what not having IPv4 API support and to solve your issue with IPv6 rDNS api support (this thread) you could use tunnelbroker for this as they can do delegation. Just something to think about :)

I know how a tunnel works brother. I configure Cisco and OpenVPN frequently.
    they give you a /64 and you choose 1IP from that block to announce to the world where my domain is and HE forwards the traffic down the tunnel.
    I have the same rDNS requirements for IPv4
    i.e.
    https://www.vultr.com/api/#server_reverse_set_ipv6
    and
    https://www.vultr.com/api/#server_reverse_set_ipv4

so either HE or another broker needs to provide me with a new IPv4 address to point my domain to and then tunnel it to my NIC.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

Would you be so kind as to explain "how a tunnel works" as I am sure that it will benefit some of us that are less knowledgeable, like me ;)

• @FrankZ said:
    Would you be so kind as to explain "how a tunnel works" as I am sure that it will benefit some of us that are less knowledgeable, like me ;)

You drive in one end, and come out the other. That's basically it.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

funyuns_are_awesome said: You drive in one end, and come out the other. That's basically it.

Thank you. I kept looking for the light at one end. I guess I was over complicating it. /hijack

• @FrankZ said:

Imagine 'running' across the Inet with a imaginary Cat5 wire in hand and hardwiring the 2 devices together.

Same thing

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2015

If you are looking for a provider that delegates IPv6 to your own NS @wuzamarine we can help you out. We can even arrange for a PI subnet from RIPE if you have such needs and are willing to pay RIPE fees.

You can then go ahead with @gbshouse, they have a great Anycast DNS platform, to manage your reverse DNS for IPv6 via their API.

Let me know if I can help.

• Why is IPv6 rDNS important at this time? Mailing?

• rds100rds100 Member

deadbeef said: Why is IPv6 rDNS important at this time?

My best guess is: fancy IRC hostnames.