Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean becomes the second largest hosting company in the world - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean becomes the second largest hosting company in the world

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member

How about clean CC IPs? DO atleast is clean.

• SpiritSpirit Member

How about to stick with the topic?

"DigitalOcean becomes the second largest hosting company in the world" - is the topic in case anyone didn't notice.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Spirit said: How about to stick with the topic?

• So much competition these days, especially in this industry :)

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Looks like DO become a bad host, they take all your personal data but account activation still on hold for a more than 5 days as user reported.

• I assume this still makes OVH one of the largest hosts then?

• @fitvpn said:
    Looks like DO become a bad host, they take all your personal data but account activation still on hold for a more than 5 days as user reported.

What ????????????

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

That. Probably they pass personal data to nsa first :)

• WilliamWilliam Member

That is because your country is known for fraud.

I NEVER had to send ID or address prove to ANY ISP - Including Vultr and DO. No problems.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • I didn't have to wait that long to get activated.

Never have problems with DO.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited May 2015

I believe their country is fraud. No one asking for provide Twitter and GitHub account details for activate account. For what? They collect personal data.

martip07 said: I didn't have to wait that long to get activated.

Older accounts yes, instantly activated. But now they asking for Credit Card and connect Facebook Twitter etc to them.

• WilliamWilliam Member

Considering they are VC funded they went through multiple checks. Highly unlikely.

• @fitvpn said:
    I believe their country is fraud. No one asking for provide Twitter and GitHub account details for activate account. For what? They collect personal data.

>

No problem with that, heroku not only ask you for github details to link accounts, it also can check in your repositories so ............... whats the problem if DO ask you for it ???

To be honest, DO still dont ask me for twitter.

Or perhaps you had bad experiences with them and becuase of that for you DO is bad ???

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited May 2015

martip07 said: whats the problem if DO ask you for it ???

Problem is we not have GitHub Facebook and Twitter accounts as well :)

• martip07martip07 Member
    edited May 2015

@fitvpn said:

Edit:

They ask for it, I was wrong. But still it is good to filter possible fraud. So it is normal in my opinion.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited May 2015

martip07 said: So it is normal in my opinion.

May be for you but not for us No need to be lamb

• getvpsgetvps Member
    edited May 2015

I have multiple DO accounts. And this verification is only if you not have same IP (edit:geolocation) as register data, or your browser agent is 'Backtrack Linux' and "I'M HAXOR".(or smiliar issues)

I tryed to activate one fake account, registered from random region proxy and different data on register. And after 5min of speaking with support about my current location and register location they activated my account, but payment failed (just,beacouse i used random card number..) , so .. is not disturbing OR hard.

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited May 2015

[removed]

• @fitvpn said:

us? define us ? ...................... :P

• cassacassa Member

Maybe @Jar can give us some details on this?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@cassa said:
    Maybe Jar can give us some details on this?

I don't want to be the punching bag if you catch my drift, but anyone is welcome to contact me anytime :)

Thanked by 1earl
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I had no problems with DO, but was never able to use OVH.

So, nationality bias varies by country, neither russia, nor romania are listed as high risk countries anymore, so, those are decisions various companies are taking.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2015

neither russia, nor romania are listed as high risk countries anymore

And your authorative source on this is.... what? Russia is still considered high risk in much software, same for Romania (i.e. Maxmind WILL reduce the rating for both)

"high risk"!="risk". We are not talking vietnam here.
    When you discriminate against EU countries within EU, that is also illegal.

• DO probably has the perfume spammer that jumps across all the providers now (all his domains reference "odorizante" in some manner, might want to check your WHMCS for RO customers)

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

When you discriminate against EU countries within EU, that is also illegal.

and that leads to everyone having to go through vigorous screening so no one is discriminated against. Thanks very much EU risk countries

edited May 2015

4n0nx said: everyone having to go through vigorous screening

So no fraudulent or anonymous orders will pass. This is a high risk industry, lower your guard and you are swamped.
    That being said, vigorous screening =/= denial of service on the basis of country of residence alone.

We have a very low rate of abuse after starting extremely bad. And that is not because we block China, India, or even Vietnam/Nigeria. We are not blocking anyone at all. Xenophobia will only create more hate and wars from which thugs will profit, so, boost hate, you reap what you have sown.

Thanked by 1fitvpn
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Maounique said: you reap what you have sown.

If anything, I'd say the risk countries reap what they have sown by having to undergo more vigorous screening than others.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited May 2015

William said: Maxmind WILL reduce the rating for both

Some kind a hammer of justice made in US? :D

• Maounique said: Xenophobia will only create more hate and wars from which thugs will profit, so, boost hate, you reap what you have sown.

Sorry that's a long stretch equating risk analysis to xenophobia / racism. Why can't people in those countries work and stop taking a crap on the Internet with scam, spam and other nonsense.