Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean becomes the second largest hosting company in the world
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean becomes the second largest hosting company in the world

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

DigitalOcean has grown to become the second-largest hosting company in the world in terms of web-facing computers, and shows no signs of slowing down.

The virtual private server provider has shown phenomenal growth over the past two-and-a-half years. First seen in our December 2012 survey, DigitalOcean today hosts more than 163,000 web-facing computers, according to Netcraft's May 2015 Hosting Provider Server Count. This gives it a small lead over French company OVH, which has been pushed down into third place.

Source: http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2015/05/01/digitalocean-becomes-the-second-largest-hosting-company-in-the-world.html

Thanked by 1jar

Comments

• ButtersButters Member

Until GVH takes it all over

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2015

Could we see a comparision on paying customers? ;-)
    However, I am not a DigitalOcean hater at all. They just don't fit my needs with the plans they offer, but I do not begrudge their obvious success.

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Amitz said: but I do not begrudge their success.

I do :)

• ShivamShivam Member

Those promo codes = bringing in so many customers haha!

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

They now like a mad with verifications.. add Credit Card (prepaid not accepted) add Twitter, add Github, still not enough than await for manual verification, what next? Look into asshole? :)

• sinsin Member

@fitvpn said:
    They now like a mad with verifications.. add Credit Card (prepaid not accepted) add Twitter, add Github, still not enough than await for manual verification, what next? Look into asshole? :)

Yeah they're pretty tough on verification for some people and god help you if they find you have a second account lol.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited May 2015

I hate them really. Many better companies and offers around. Dumb mass market made in US

• @fitvpn said:
    I hate them really. Many better companies and offers around. Dumb mass market made in US

As Yoda said: Them dumb, genius you, obvious is.

• @fitvpn said:
    Look into asshole? :)

Hahahaha, good one.
    For luck I got my account with them for quite some time, so hopefully I dont need to do all the verification stuff. I like using them if I fastly need a server for something I don't want or can't use one of my existing ones. E.g. if I need a server to download a torrent - Linux images, for sure!

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @fitvpn said:

Can you please tell us the better alternatives?

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Issam2204 said: Can you please tell us the better alternatives?

Vultr and Linode (sarcasm)

• FiddeFidde Member

@sin said:
    Yeah they're pretty tough on verification for some people and god help you if they find you have a second account lol.

I have two accounts with them :P Just verified my second account today. They just told me that if I need more accounts I should let them know in advance next time :)

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Fidde said: I should let them know in advance next time

Told them next time don't touch balls at least..

Thanked by 1switsys
  • Funny what some VC will do. Sounds like a pump and dump

• @fitvpn said:

This really comes to mind.

• The reality will be starting next March after the 1 year max on promo funds kicks in. THis should weed out all the prior free credit hoarders and they will be left with a manageable 1 year promo budget number. Plus with the tightening of user validation requirements, it looks like they are cleaning up the startup phase of the organization and are moving to a more steady growth enterprise. Of course, some won't like them because they are American with large market share- but they beat the drama fueled providers who have "16 year old arrested CTO's" and those who get their WHCMS hacked. And since they have more than a few employees they don't vanish when a machine goes down or someone gets sick or bored with the entity. Pretty good deal for 5 bucks a month.

Thanked by 1jar
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

I know of a lot of business users using them as an alternative to Amazon, for many the redundancy offered by Amazon is an overkill and the reliability of DigitalOcean is sufficient.

I think their biggest asset is their reliability. Its unheard of to have any large HN outages, they do go down, but usually just for minutes (i.e HN crash, reboot), a few minutes more if you get mitgrated to a new HN.

• I do wish they had easy to set up load balancers like linode though.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2015

Seriously2015 said: 5 bucks a month.

That's about the only selling point of theirs. "Hey you can have a VPS for 2x cheaper than Linode".
    Because at $10 you have Linode. And what DO does better than Linode? Nothing.
    Now that they pulled the coupon bait-and-switch, even the old users who advocated DO in the past will likely jump at the first opportunity to leave.

• However, they do allow you to set up an affordable structure. You can have a low cost linode structure and a low cost DO structure. Then you can overlay DNSeasy anycast (with failover) and with a redundant DNS provider (such as NSOne or godaddy or dediserver). Then you have a robust solid cheap solution across multiple architectures and not dependent on one company. Given labor costs even Linode $10/mo and DO $10/month are great bargains. Obviously the big dance around of friend on promo recommending another friend on promo will stop in a year and people will need to start looking at value per actual spent dollar rather than value for free service. I'm wondering when DO will drop paypal (I can still pre fund) and go to a pure credit card/debit card model.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Haters gonna hate but DO had a lot of funding and their default image includes a webserver, so almost all VMs installed by newbies will have it.
    Not to mention the coupons and referrals and all.
    Reality check will be sooner than march, but, if it goes on like this, their strategy worked, even if it is a pump and dump scheme, as long as it is successful and they have a niche, why not.

• I fail to understand how DO is better than anything else out there? Even Scaleway has more "value-added" features than a DO KVM, and for less money. My opinion is that DO has two types of customers: uninformed ones who fall for the SEO honeypot tutorials DO has, and coupon-hoarders. DO killed the second group, so let's see how many will be left.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2015

They also have a lot of money for advertising and free service.
    May not be good, but who cares when you have investors.
    Besides, they are kinda stable, which proves again that the simpler things, the less the break.

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited May 2015

Just my thoughts on my exp with DO (Digital ocean) and OVH

i don't commit with DO for hosting but u want a spin up a server for testing and playing they are one to look for test ur work an hour then make a snapshot destroy the VPS and come next weekend spin one VPS from snapshot they give me freedom i can pick the work work where i exactly left

i do like their Interface simple and clean And Anycast DNS And Awsome snapshot features and Awesome peering with major and small time ISP's

And OVH has dedicated servers with IP that facing the internet

but DO has VPS's with ip facing the internet

Both big time players

OVH for people opening business and need Dedicated servers for production

DO on other hand for Developers and like me geeks easy deploy easy destroy kind of people

Both are good on their trade

I think OVH is great and bigger than DO

i have experience with both OVH and DO

if you have have experience only with DO the may seem like BIG company but they are Great

company but NOT BIG

DO IS SECOND LARGE HOSTING COMPANY BY IP's FACING INTERNET

just my thoughts i hope to hear yours

• Scaleway france only. As A US small business to minimize risk I want my data in the us with a contract with a llc or inc entity. I owe it to my clients to minimize risk and minimize gov intrusion. As a hobbyist more power and features are cool but wasnt there many pages highly negative about scaleway? Cost performance etc? Additionally being a native english speaker having french as the controlling languages on contracts is unnecessary complexity. Finally DO servers are close to my clients. If i was in Europe I would have a different perspective

• The only people I've heard complaints from regarding DO are people who get pissed off because they can't stack 80,000 coupons and get their accounts closed - or people who aren't really pissed, they just need more performance and DO is no longer a good fit (price vs. performance dips when you get into 8GB/16GB VMs and can pick up a decent dedicated server).

The service is extremely stable since I started playing with it when they were fresh out of Techstars (friend got me some credits & playing with it early). Their VMs are extremely stable and with coupons/freebies and $5/mo price point they're a good entry into learning how to use a VPS. I owe a lot to folks like Slicehost (Rackspace), Digital Ocean and LowEndSpirit for allowing me to play with VPS's and learn.

I've got nothing bad to say about them, they clearly fulfill a missing piece in the industry for many people at a reasonable entry price. Going forward I'm unlikely to use them for anything serious, just because I now own & rent my own dedicated servers and have experienced many other just-as (or more) reliable hosts like Ramnode who I would rather give my money to.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@fitvpn said:

I cried with laughter reading that.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited May 2015

I have older activated DO account with $28 credit inside, don't needed. I can sell whole account for $18+PP fees. Bitcoin or PM possible. if someone interested, contact me. :)

• ATHKATHK Member

@fitvpn said:
    I have older activated DO account with $28 credit inside, don't needed. I can sell whole account for $18+PP fees. Bitcoin or PM possible. if someone interested, contact me. :)

$7

• DalCompDalComp Member

IMO at this point this is still nothing, anyone can get the largest market share by offering free stuffs. Wait till they stop doing the coupons and see how many stays.