Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostBill vs. WHMCS - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostBill vs. WHMCS

Comments

• @vpsnodebox

Kris has an opportunity to compete and even beat WHMCS but he isn't willing to invest in terms of man power, resources, etc..therefore damaging the brand. In regards to bugs, at least they get fixed and we are always on the look out for new ones.

• @stylexnetworks Not being competitive while he is ahead is plenty stupid, let alone how hard it is to get noticed and known. I guess it's his loss.

• What would you guys say the bottom line is?

• vatolocovatoloco Member
    edited October 2012

@vpsnodebox said: What would you guys say the bottom line is?

whmcs ftw!
    With HostBill focusing now also on a Cpanel alternative (yes, they introduce bytecp - some sort of cpanel) I don't think HostBill team is big enough to handle this. He should have been better integrating some kind of slimmed down solusvm alternative into Hostbill.

Just my 0.02$

• First of all, sorry for grave digging, but I can't make a decision either.

@vatoloco said: He should have been better integrating some kind of slimmed down solusvm alternative into Hostbill.

That's plain BS, HostBill has better SolusVM integration than WHMCS.

But still my idea of WHMCS is a buggy full of vuln software for people that think they can get rich with cPanel resellers, that's how their community good big too.
    Hostbill is a more professional solution for hosts, and not cPanel resellers and summer hosts.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

WHMCS imo

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited January 2013

@dominicl said: WHMCS imo

A typical response of a WHMCS fanboy who has never tried something else, never doubted the quality of WHMCS simply because they didn't want to face it and without any arguments why it's better than Hostbill: a typical worthless reply.

• jhjh Member

@BronzeByte said: A typical response of a WHMCS fanboy who has never tried something else, never doubted the quality of WHMCS simply because they didn't want to face it and without any arguments why it's better than Hostbill: a typical worthless reply.

Actually he's just moved from HostBill.

• I'll throw my two cents into this.

We operate a WHMCS installation service with 3000 - 4000 active clients at any given time. Although WHMCS provides a pretty stable solution I never found it to offer everything for our needs from a hosts point of view. The way it handles certain things just go against plain decent business/accountancy practices (I know it's not an accounting system; however it shouldn't work against you). The vulnerabilities are also of concern. I know a number of them were in the smarty templating engine so affected any system using it (including hostbill). From the client site, it is not the most intuitive piece of software. It does however do its job well and feels a well rounded solution. Support has been hit and miss. It can be speedy and helpful or it can be slow and quite patronising.

We're currently trialling hostbill and although it is not as polished as whmcs and seems to contain a number of bugs, it seems to put more power in the hosts hands. It also seems to have been setup with a hosts business practices in mind. The client area also appears to be more intuitive. We're still not sure if we'll stick with Hostbill. Support is also hit and miss here. Some tickets sit there for days, while others are replied to quickly. From their release cycle and threads on forums it does look like they try and integrate suggestions/fixes quickly.

• @jhadly said: Actually he's just moved from HostBill.

Still he replied in two words, that doesn't help at all

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

I agree. It's not that I don't like HostBill. Actually, I love it...for clients. The client side is beautiful, very well executed. It's a very refreshing change from WHMCS. But there's a saying "Don't fix it if it ain't broken." WHMCS works, and their operation is scaling up with the whole cPanel deal.

Here's some key points:

1. Peace of mind in the event of any kind of failure.
      You can't guarantee that HostBill support will be there for you in an emergency. That emergency may never happen. It also might happen tomorrow. WHMCS isn't the best at it either, but they are more active and therefore more likely to be there when you need them.

2. Third party developer support.
      WHMCS has it, HostBill mostly does not. What you do find is often years old, never updated, not supported.

3. Community involvement.
      Look at the forums for both of them. One is far more active with quality content from inside the range of the last year.

• @jarland

1. Funny how you say peace of mind while WHMCS is full of vulns of old crappy modules that they needed to IonCube per se and never care about it anymore.

2. http://wiki.hostbillapp.com/index.php?title=Hostbill_Software_Development_Kit Looks pretty neat and detailed and even has a working cPanel module as example

3. WHMCS forums is full of cPanel reseller kidies, it was made for cPanel kids: WHM (as in Cpanel) complete solution...

@BronzeByte said: Funny how you say peace of mind while WHMCS is full of vulns of old crappy modules that they needed to IonCube per se and never care about it anymore.

It's basically the same thing on both sides of this fence. HostBill feels the same way, it's just not as frequently targeted. My fear is that if/when it is targeted by someone the way WHMCS was during the big database dump, they'll throw their arms in the air and walk away from it. I honestly fear that scenario, I'll leave you to judge whether or not my fear is justified. It's just a gut feeling.

@BronzeByte said: Looks pretty neat and detailed and even has a working cPanel module as example

A lot better than it used to be, certainly.

@BronzeByte said: WHMCS forums is full of cPanel reseller kidies, it was made for cPanel kids: WHM (as in Cpanel) complete solution...

If it does the job...

edited January 2013

Oh and to be clear, we used HostBill for several months. I'm not speaking as an outsider. Still have the license.

• @Jarland Want to share ;)

@NHRoel said: Want to share ;)

License is definitely up for sale, e-mail Ryan if you're interested ;)
    [email protected]

• Not sure they are transferable now?

edited January 2013

@ShardHost said: Not sure they are transferable now?

I think they've changed their agreement more than I've changed socks, but I don't see anything against it. Not sure they have the man power to police it if they had a problem with it.

• @Jarland 2 questions,
    1-> How old is this baby?
    2-> You can't transfer license, can you?

@NHRoel said: 1-> How old is this baby?

2012-05-23

@NHRoel said: 2-> You can't transfer license, can you?

You can change all of the account info which looks like an acceptable way to me. You can reissue the license as well.

edited January 2013

http://forum.hostbillapp.com/showthread.php?2154-Can-I-buy-someones-license-and-transfer-it-to-me

This answers the question fine for me. Can't answer this question on their own forums in more than half a year, doubt they really care what happens.

• edited January 2013

Hostbill would be better, only if they had decent man power and support to fix issues. Another thing that bugs us is when they release patches things that are currently working will stop functioning properly.

Ruining a very good brand.

• @stylexnetworks said: Hostbill would be better, only if they had decent man power and support to fix issues. Another thing that bugs us is when they release patches things that are currently working will stop functioning properly.

Ruining a very good brand.

If you had the choice between Hostbill with its faults (and hindsight) and WHMCS, what would you choose?

• @ShardHost

Still hostbill, WHMCS doesn't work well with OnApp.

• HostBill seems to be releasing updates left and right, almost every week. Do they even properly test these updates before releasing them so fast?

And it seems their site is broken

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@lele0108 said: And it seems their site is broken

Not for me at the moment.

• Hostbill has its pros and cons, just like WHMCS.
    For anyone that's interested in testing I can issue monthly leased licenses for $8/month as an add on only.

• Never tried WHMCS, but using HostBill right now, as it was slightly more affordable for us.
    HB have very nice order pages though.

https://simpleno.de/hostbill/cart/kvm-vps/ -> Very, very sexy indeed.

• hostbill has a better looking interface but quute buggy with automation.If you manually create fills for automation it'll break something.whmcs is dull looking but works.

my pick is hostbill, if you dont fiddle with extra fills for automation it works like a charm.

• ModulesGardenModulesGarden Member
    edited January 2013

We work with both WHMCS and HostBill since several years. True is that HostBill looks better and offers more interesting features than WHMCS does, but HostBill quite often has problems with automation and support.

WHMCS is more harsh and doesn't have fireworks inside but it works decently and it's always stable.

I hope that I was helpful at least a little bit.