Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just got a backdoor virus alert from avast while opening php-injection thread ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just got a backdoor virus alert from avast while opening php-injection thread ?

2»

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

4n0nx said: pfft that never happens.

Yes, it does. Constantly.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

joepie91 said: Yes, it does. Constantly.

no

• telephone said: I hope you've never plugged in a friends USB drive before then. I've seen nasty rootkits spread unknowingly through friends/co-workers while passing documents on USB.

I haven't indeed, thanks for the pointer, will make sure that won't happen.

joepie91 said: Then you've almost certainly already gotten owned. The majority of modern malware doesn't make itself known, and to sufficiently protect yourself from it, you'd have to know the entire stack you're running from top to bottom, and constantly monitor everything. That's a full-time job.

I keep a close eye on running processes and stuff marked to boot with the PC. Not really too concerned with malware anyway. I stay away from shady links, have plugins in Chrome ask for my permission. I simply can't imagine such a sophisticated virus not being able to hide itself from an AV, so why bother losing performance

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2015

@4n0nx said:
    no

If you're not looking for it, it only needs to happen once. Just once. That day may never come, or maybe it was yesterday. Rolling dice with security tomorrow because you know what was common last week is not a valid tactic :)

That said, if you're sandboxing everything you're probably fine. But at some point you're going to get lazy/comfortable or forgetful and miss a step. The point is you may not know when you win the lottery, if you ever do, until it's too late. An antivirus is absolutely a positive layer of potential security. Even I keep clamav handy these days after years of going antivirus free. Further reducing probability.