Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who are millionaires/billionaires in the webhosting market
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who are millionaires/billionaires in the webhosting market

The title says it all. It would be more interesting if there are any millionaires from the low end market

Comments

• Thanked by 1Rapta
  • I'm - based on the currency

• @rmlhhd said:
    linuxthefish

No no, he becomes a billionaire selling fishes.

• comXyz said: No no, he becomes a billionaire selling fishes.

So that's what his nickname means? He sells fish to penguins?

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • From the low end market? Not unless they got a bunch of clients/revenue (without specific regard to actual profit) then had someone buy them out.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @rds100 said:

His customers are rich penguins that know linux.

• ehabehab Member

i would say its @ItsChrisG one day i am sending him my CV :)

• earlearl Member

OVH.. Im sure Oles made a mil or two..

Thanked by 2MikePT netomx
  • al3xtal3xt Member

oh my, good question! i'm interested to know who too, but definitely i'm not one of them.

• Build up a company to sell or get a share/partnership building up a company is the only way to get like this

• ben78ben78 Member

earl said: OVH.. Im sure Oles made a mil or two..

Yeah, i'd have said Oles too but who knows.. Plus he did try to keep a lot of money in the company to make it bigger...

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

yup - real $$ comes at the exit really. Though, some have made good money getting there as well.

• @click4easy said:
    The title says it all. It would be more interesting if there are any millionaires from the low end market

From my point of view I don't think you can become a millionaire by selling Low End Boxes. But it's quite easy, look at the market, see what the demand is and offer it. For example back in 2012 I started in the email marketing Business as it was hard for mailers to get ips from the U.S. So they started looking offshore. I rented the ips from Romania for $100 / 256 ips and sold them to U.S customers for $300 / 256 ips. This was a great Year. made a couple of tens of thousands of dollars, and in my Country, based on the currency I was a millionaire for 2 Years :)

As I said, if you find that "something" that is desired on the market and can add your tax and make a %200 profit ... then yes, I think you can become a millionaire.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Colocrossing?? :-P

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Most millionaires probably won't share that publicly. If you want to earn a lot of money it's usually a lot easier by getting a job than by starting your own business.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited April 2015

Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: Colocrossing?? :-P

King of spam and fake product web sites

• What about EIG owner?

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

@rokok said:
    BharatB !

...or @jnguyen ?

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

What about @abermingham and co over at Online.net . They must have made a bob or 2

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited April 2015

@hawc said:
    What about abermingham and co over at Online.net . They must have made a bob or 2

The owner of the company, Iliad, is owned by Xavier Niel and he has billions EUR.

• @vfuse said:
    Most millionaires probably won't share that publicly. If you want to earn a lot of money it's usually a lot easier by getting a job than by starting your own business.

It's secretive. Why would you want people to know?

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2015

I am! Like I said in a previous post (I don't remember where) I build an New Space station to pass summer vacation! :P

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    I am! Like I said in a previous post (I don't remember where) I build an New Space station to pass summer vacation! :P

Can I visit?

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@Jonchun said:

We sold ticket for $7 by day. However, you need to book your own flight from your local Space Program Station ;)

• Maybe the Sultan of Brunei's son runs some hosting in his spare time.

• creepcreep Member

why don't you open a new thread of how many thousands or millions have you spent on paying hostings and servers? I have spent $130k USD since 2004.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @ricardo said:
    Maybe the Sultan of Brunei's son runs some hosting in his spare time.

Technically does; the sole ISP they have is of course state owned.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited April 2015

State owned, that's a lot of customers.

For providers who advertise here...

You could make a decent stab at guessing provider's income. Some have public accounts and you can make an educated guess of revenue per customer.

WHMCS will give you a userid so you have a rough idea of how many users a company has in its system.

Give it a large margin of error and at least you have a ballpark idea of revenue per year. With some work put into it you could have a decent stab at valuating companies. The mystery is in their expenditure, and the owner's take home pay.