Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Suggestion] Create positive thread titles and content
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Suggestion] Create positive thread titles and content

click4easyclick4easy Member
edited April 2015 in General

Hello community.

Rather than just letting the community know about any news on a natural calamity, create a thread with positive thread title; for ex: "May god bless","May peace be evolved...". So when someone reads the thread title, a thought is generated in his/her mind. Likewise a few hundred of positive thoughts are generated by the readers in this process. All these thoughts can add up and manifest for the good. Therefore, we can help better a situation just by reading a thread title or its content.

P.S: I'm not offending anyone. This is just a suggestion.

Comments

• I have the feeling someone will feel offended very soon.

Thanked by 2Jonchun Mark_R
  • Why not do double negatives? "May God not curse Nepal". "May peace not dissolve".

Quad negatives would be good too! "May God not not not curse Nepal"

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited April 2015

I know religion is generally taboo here, so I'll keep it short... how exactly does titling something like "May god bless Nepal" help anybody? If god wanted to bless Nepal, shit wouldn't have happened in the first place...

It's like meeting a handicapped person and telling them that you'll keep them in your prayers... All you've done is effectively make them feel bad and emphasize that there's nothing that can be done about their situation

A better alternative would be to remove religion from posts like these, and have titles like "You can support the disaster in Nepal now!" or similar titles that call people to action.

Finally, if you're helping people or thinking about people BECAUSE of your religion, there's something wrong. You should be helping out of sympathy or kindness, not because a higher power ordered you to live that way. Now, if you actually want to help, here's a link from NY times listing a lot of different places soliciting donations:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/27/world/asia/where-to-donate-for-nepal.html

I'm not trying to bash on religion itself, but am mentioning things that "religious" people do that make no sense. I realize that not every religious person does the things I state above, but from my experience, many of them do.

@joodle said:
    I have the feeling someone will feel offended very soon.

People are going to say I was offended, but just to clear things up. Offended? No. Annoyed? Yes.

• @Jonchun said:
    Finally, if you're helping people or thinking about people BECAUSE of your religion, there's something wrong. You should be helping out of sympathy or kindness, not because a higher power ordered you to live that way.

Great use of a religious statement to attack religion. Clap clap. :|

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited April 2015

@deadbeef said:
    Great use of a religious statement to attack religion. Clap clap. :|

I was trying to sum up what modern society (regardless of religion) tends to view as "moral actions". If you disagree, feel free to leave your rebuttal.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Just stop it now.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • BruceBruce Member

[Suggestion] ban political and/or religious discussion. it has no place here

Thanked by 2Jonchun Mark_R
  • @Jonchun said:
    I was trying to sum up what modern society (regardless of religion) tends to view as "moral actions".

^ This is a religious thing. Secular religion is still a religion.

• @Bruce said:
    [Suggestion] ban political and/or religious discussion. it has no place here

Political and Religious discussion belong in a place where the majority of people are mature enough to debate without melting down.

+1.

• @deadbeef said:

Secular religion is generally used to describe communistic belief systems, or other "cult-like" phenomena like sports and gaming.

You were probably thinking of secular ethics, which are separate from religion.

• @Jonchun said:
    You were probably thinking of secular ethics, which are separate from religion.

Religion is anything that does not fall into the realm of science. Morals/ethics do not fall into the realm of science.

• @deadbeef said:
    Religion is anything that does not fall into the realm of science. Morals/ethics do not fall into the realm of science.

Please go take a BASIC philosophy course at your local community college before attempting to continue this discussion.

• @Jonchun said:
    Please go take a BASIC philosophy course at your local community college before attempting to continue this discussion.

Ah, so that's where you got your half-baked "knowledge". Makes sense now.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Stop it, please. Have this conversation in PM of you really must.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

And I'm on mobile, someone flag the topic please?

• @Nekki said:
    Stop it, please. Have this conversation in PM of you really must.

Yes sir :(

@deadbeef said:
    Ah, so that's where you got your half-baked "knowledge". Makes sense now.

I'm suggesting you do so because this is just a straight-up unfair playing field. You can continue this in PM if you wish.

• @Nekki said:
    And I'm on mobile, someone flag the topic please?

done.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited April 2015

@Jonchun said:
    I'm suggesting you do so because this is just a straight-up unfair playing field.

Not sure what you want to say here. If you're implying you have a better understanding that me in philosophy, you are lucky Nekki stopped us. I'm the most hard core, orthodox, stricter that strict, uncompromising scientific method proponent you'll ever meet.

You can continue this in PM if you wish.

No point if people are not going to benefit from it, which is the only reason I take part in such discussions.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

Jonchun said: Yes sir :(

Ain't she a her? @Nekki

• @deadbeef said:
    Not sure what you want to say here. If you're implying you have a better understanding that me in philosophy, you are lucky Nekki stopped us. I'm the most hard core, orthodox, stricter that strict, uncompromising scientific method proponent you'll ever meet.

http://www.neok12.com/Scientific-Method.htm

@Traffic said:
    Ain't she a her? Nekki

I was never really sure... He is a he as far as I know....

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Traffic said: Ain't she a her? @Nekki

Why do you think I'm female?

Jonchun said: I was never really sure... He is a he as far as I know....

Why do you think I'm male?

Thanked by 2Pwner Mark_R
  • @Nekki said:
    Why do you think I'm female?

Because you said so? :D

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Traffic said: Because you said so? :D

Are you sure?

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

@Nekki said:
    Are you sure?

Well, maybe you explicitly accepted it in a reply to a fellow LET'r... But I recall seeing that conversation :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Traffic said: Well, maybe you explicitly accepted it in a reply to a fellow LET'r... But I recall seeing that conversation :)

I find it hilarious that anyone think's I'm female. I'm pretty sure a lot of people read my name as 'Nikki' and go from there, so I never correct anyone.

I even added the meaning of my posting name in my sig...

• @Nekki said:

I'm actually happy to know the truth after all this time of uncertainty :D Won't think otherwise ever, not will I correct anyone ;)

• Perfectly suitable site for you, everyone has to start from somewhere, no shame in it.

• @deadbeef said:
    Perfectly suitable site for you, everyone has to start from somewhere, no shame in it.

I feel like a parent trying to convince a 10-year old that not everything in the world goes his way.

• @Nekki said:

I'm not sure why you would want to spread it around LET that you're actually a politician...

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited April 2015

@Jonchun said:
    I feel like a parent trying to convince a 10-year old that not everything in the world goes his way.

That's what the average parent does, no surprise you subscribe to that mentality. On the contrary, the best of us work super hard to make the world go the way our kids want - not the other way around.