Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Dedicated Server Option Would You Choose? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Dedicated Server Option Would You Choose?

2»

Comments

• earlearl Member

@Seriously2015

Not sure why you feel the need to post a silly question on my wall as opposed to here but hopefully my answer is more than satisfying..

• earlearl Member

Well, your silence really speaks volumes.. for you and your buddy @seriously2015

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member
    edited April 2015

@earl said:

Chill out man. Drink water or anything. If you want to start a fight, go to the dojo or boxing arena. If you have no sparing partner, come to my house and I'll spare with you. No one should be treated like that, just for asking a question. (regardless the purpose of it)

• earlearl Member

@sirmbhe said:

I don't drink water.. but if you got beer i might make the effort to come over :) you seem like a nice enough fella just wish you knew the real intent of the OP. posting $200/mo dedis on LET really boils my blood!!

• @earl said:
    I don't drink water.. but if you got beer i might make the effort to come over :) you seem like a nice enough fella just wish you knew the real intent of the OP. posting $200/mo dedis on LET really boils my blood!!

You should try water buddy, its good for your body :)

Um, to be honest I also don't like that comment. There are a lot of cheaper better option, but hey, respect to each other is what makes us human, man.

Just let this thread sink.

• earlearl Member

@sirmbhe said:

I dont see where in this post that i was being disrespectful.. just dont want people getting the idea on freely posting offers above LET standards.. just pay your $100/mo to CC and advertise whatever you like but dont do silly things like this post and think were stupid enough to not know whats going on..

i just dont want this to be a habit on LET.. is that wrong?

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

@earl said:
    i just dont want this to be a habit on LET.. is that wrong?

I can see both sides.

I believe @earl is just trying to keep consistency on LET, and wants to make sure the client gets a good deal on a dedi. A lot of inexperienced buyers get pulled into $500/mo dedis that are $150/mo elsewhere.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

It's hard to compare, there is no CPU model mentioned in the first option:

Intel Xeon Quad Core 2.5GHz (8 threads)

Would be nice to know what generation that is.

• erkinerkin Member

They are both expensive, imo.

• earlearl Member

@Clouvider said:
    It's hard to compare, there is no CPU model mentioned in the first option:

You don't actually need to know that.. Hostgator is the best deal since it cost more so it will be better.

• earlearl Member

@erkin said:
    They are both expensive, imo.

yeah, im not sure why they're so expensive considering they don't pay for advertising

• 8bit8bit Member
    edited April 2015

-1 Avoid hostgator.
    -2 I wouldn't choose both.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@earl said:
    You don't actually need to know that.. Hostgator is the best deal since it cost more so it will be better.

:D

Thanked by 1earl
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I wouldn't go with a host that doesn't display the actual processor you get.

• I will chose softlayer or online than 2 above

• kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited April 2015

Is that it? just a regular business website with a blog...

I am guessing... decently heavy traffic (not facebook / twitter kinda) ..... somewhere around maxing out at 100000 unique visitors a day....(approx 70 a minute if spread evenly) but I am positive that yours would be around one tenth of the above

Why go for a dedicated even... Get a reseller account with Buyshared with your own ip ( @Francisco they are very active here ) around $20 a year.(comes with a control panel) No server manager / admin required... just plug and play .. For your email services you can opt for google apps for business which are far more reliable than your own server...

So-- reduced server costs, zero server admin costs and reliable hosting at $20 per year...

Use the rest of the money to add value to your website / business some other way

• 100000 unique visitors a day on a shared hosting

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello,

I didn't read all posts though, but I suggest you to look for offers here in LET, you'll find several 8 core servers + SSD disk, that'd be faster than a mofo! :D

Best luck, and do let us know if you need any further help!

• To the OP , do not micro-optimize yet , get a decent dedi , and use cloudflare ..Cloudflare will take care of all your latency problems (if any) ...You can have your nameservers , branding and what not even when you use cloudflare (with a paid plan ofc).

Use caching or cloudflare's page rules option to cache entire pages.

• kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited April 2015

comXyz said: 100000 unique visitors a day on a shared hosting

On the contrary... I am a regular joe...and calling (mocking) me a genius announces to the world what exactly you are...And to be honest.. I so see you trolling in LET, posting in nearly every thread but not exactly adding value...(mostly)

I do feel that you are one of those lurking here feeling that shared hosting is good for nothing (which you are wrong by the way)... I've run an opencart based ecommerce site (now no more) on godaddy lowest tier shared hosting which had around 5000 unique visitors a day... and I stress tested the sh*t out of it with 200 concurrent visitors and also it stood fine for 400+ visitors connecting within a single minute without timeouts... (And this was godaddy + apache + no cloudflare)

Kindly be educated that, a normal business website is predominantly html and with proper caching and free use of cloudflare, any decently configured shared hosting service with enough bandwidth is adequate for 100000 unique visitors a day (70 a minute)... Note - I also mentioned a sentence below the same that I kinda expect the op's site to get around 10% of the traffic...

I do remember from somewhere that LET was once hosted on a 64mb box (kindly correct if I am wrong)

Thanked by 1Riz
  • @ez2uk said:

Honestly it depends on the content on your site. If it's hundreds of videos and javascript and what not you're probably not going to be welcome on shared hosting for 100,000 visitors. If you're even at that point I can imagine you make plenty off the ad revenue to sustain paying more than shared hosting costs anyway unless of course it's a business site in which case you probably get enough money from clients.

I think you're both right to an extent. You'll probably manage on shared hosting fine, won't really affect you much but you'll probably be asked to migrate elsewhere before any of these kinds of figures come into play.

OP, if you could give us an idea of how many users you have per day people might be able to offer you some other ideas to consider if you ever wish to change from SoftLayer which may help you to reduce costs at a later date.

Glad you found an option for you though.

• ez2uk said: 100000 unique visitors a day (70 a minute)