Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using Dediserve and able to upgrade to Jessie?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using Dediserve and able to upgrade to Jessie?

sinsin Member

I've been trying to upgrade a brand new install of Wheezy to Debian Jessie on Dediserve and after rebooting the vps just fails to startup.

I'm just curious if anyone using them is also using Jessie and what did you have to change when upgrading?

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello,

According to a thread posted here today, IIRC, there's other people having the same issue, so you should wait for it to be released as stable tho.

• sinsin Member

@MrGeneral said:
    Hello,

According to a thread posted here today, IIRC, there's other people having the same issue, so you should wait for it to be released as stable tho.

Ahh okay thanks, that sucks :(

@sin said:
    Ahh okay thanks, that sucks :(

Give it a few more days, then take a snapshot and try, I haven't tried it myself tho :-)

• sinsin Member
    edited April 2015

I'll play around with it some more :) I create a brand new Wheezy install and then just do a apt-get dist-upgrade to jessie, when I reboot the VPS never comes back on and I can't even manually turn it on in Dediserve's control panel.

I booted into recovery mode and looked around but couldn't figure out what was the issue.

• Debian Jessie seems to be using systemd, the same as Fedora 22, which also has issues running in OpenVZ. There have been some work-arounds attempted, but nothing production worthy to note, as of this time.

• We run Xen on all clouds, but it does sound like something kernel or disk related is broken. If you can find a version that works on Xen, and use the xen compatible kernel, it should work... Drop us (or update) a ticket and we can help you out.

• Just had a dig and there is a debian-7.8 template available (in test, but we can add to your account as a private template). Drop support a line and they'll add it for you!

@dediserve said:
    Just had a dig and there is a debian-7.8 template available (in test, but we can add to your account as a private template). Drop support a line and they'll add it for you!

Give me a test VM and I'll see what I can do :P

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited April 2015

cncking2000 said: Debian Jessie seems to be using systemd, the same as Fedora 22, which also has issues running in OpenVZ. There have been some work-arounds attempted, but nothing production worthy to note, as of this time.

Systemd has been in used since Fedora 15, which was back in late 2010.

The OVZ development team should have been working to get it ready to work fine with systemd. So I highly doubt it is the issue with systemd and ovz kernel compatibility but rather OS and kernel compatibility. Fedora 18 on-wards require OVZ 2.6.2, 2.6.18 will not work at all. This should be the same for Debian. You might want to ask what dediserve ovz kernel version is.

EDIT: oops, just noticed Xen.

• sinsin Member
    edited April 2015

@dediserve said:
    Just had a dig and there is a debian-7.8 template available (in test, but we can add to your account as a private template). Drop support a line and they'll add it for you!

Sweet, I'll hit up your support in a few then! Gotta finish my morning coffee and wake up some first :)

Hello folks,

I'm working on this to see if it's possible for us to upgrade to Jessie, I'll update you shortly.

@dediserve said:

I'm afraid Debian 7.8 is still wheezy, and we're able to update to 7.8 without any issues. I'm working on this with Dediserve's support to see what they can do, and if they can catch the error, hopefully to find a way to boot it up.

According to Xen Orchestra post:

The first one is to install Debian 8 (Jessie) without any glitches. For those who tried on 6.2 and before, you know the deal: you can't boot your VM, due to an old version of pyGrub (used to read your VM Grub configuration and boot the PV domain).

Could definitely be related. Let's see if it's possible to get it running on Xen HVM.

Dediserve's staff were able to boot up Jessie, however, running the old kernel:

root@test:~# uname -r
    3.2.0-4-amd64

It seems XenPV doesn't support Kernel 3.4, still investigating this.

• sinsin Member

@MrGeneral said:
    Dediserve's staff were able to boot up Jessie, however, running the old kernel:

3.2.0-4-amd64

It seems XenPV doesn't support Kernel 3.4, still investigating this.

I really appreciate all the work you're doing! So if I set it to boot using the old 3.2 kernel it would boot up? If so I will login to the recovery and switch it over to that kernel for right now.

edited April 2015

Hello,

Latest finds folks:

Error:

xm create /onapp/config/ru8bu7zs6f7vhz Using config file "/onapp/config/ru8bu7zs6f7vhz". Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found\n') Fatal: Virtual machine has not been started on hypervisor

--
    Explanation:

According to: http://noone.org/blog/English/Computer/Debian/Running a Sid DomU on a Squeeze Dom0.html and another posts I read about Jessie, the new kernel 3.4 implements a new compression type, therefore isn't supported in this Xen version. So right now it's not possible to run Jessie at @Dediserve with the newest kernel 3.4.

A new Xen version should fix this.

@sin said:
    I really appreciate all the work you're doing! So if I set it to boot using the old 3.2 kernel it would boot up? If so I will login to the recovery and switch it over to that kernel for right now.

You're welcome!

Yes, if you change the new kernel from 3.4 to 3.2.0-4-amd64, then it will boot.

root@test:~# cat /etc/debian_version
    3.2.0-4-amd64

Here's the how-to to upgrade to Jessie @ Dediserve:

I've created a test VM (Debian 64bit) to test this in Dediserve Xen environment:

After rebuilding your server image, it's default updated to Debian 7.5 according to:

1 - Run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, then reboot the server as a new kernel version is installed.

After rebooting, it shows the latest stable Debian version, which is:

2 - Create a backup of /etc/apt/sources.list, cp /etc/apt/sources.list{,.bak}

3 - Replace the sources in your sources.list, sed -i -e 's/ (stable|wheezy)/ testing/ig' /etc/apt/sources.list

4 - Update the packages, apt-get update

5 - Run dist-upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade (it'll ask you if you want to replace /etc/securitetty, choose "Y" to replace it)

6 - Edit grub to load the kernel version 3.2.0-4-amd64, since 3.4 isn't currently supported by XenPV (Xen HVM should be possible, I'll give it a try later).

7 - Reboot!

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • sinsin Member

@MrGeneral said:
    Hello,

Latest finds folks:

Error:

xm create /onapp/config/ru8bu7zs6f7vhz Using config file "/onapp/config/ru8bu7zs6f7vhz". Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found\n') Fatal: Virtual machine has not been started on hypervisor

--
    Explanation:

According to: http://noone.org/blog/English/Computer/Debian/Running a Sid DomU on a Squeeze Dom0.html and another posts I read about Jessie, the new kernel 3.4 implements a new compression type, therefore isn't supported in this Xen version. So right now it's not possible to run Jessie at Dediserve with the newest kernel 3.4.

A new Xen version should fix this.

7 - Reboot!

Okay so I followed your steps and now I'm running Debian Jessie but just with using the older kernel 3.2 and it looks like everything is working correctly :). I guess I will just stay on the older kernel until Jessie officially releases later this month and hope it be will be supported then. I haven't had any trouble upgrading my servers to Jessie on any other provider but none of them are using Xen.

and once again I appreciate all your help :)

Thanked by 2MikePT dediserve

@sin said:
    and once again I appreciate all your help :)

I'm glad to help this community! :)

Well, the issue is that Xen doesn't support the compression of the new kernel, hence we're unable to boot it using the new kernel. As soon as @Dediserve update their Xen version, this will work.

I asked @Dediserve if I can get a test instance, XenHVM to see if we're able to boot the new kernel, which should be possible.

I'll update this thread as soon as possible. :)

Thanked by 3dediserve sin vimalware
  • On phone can't write much.

You may want to search about "pvgrub chaining on linode".

• sinsin Member

@msg7086 said:
    On phone can't write much.

You may want to search about "pvgrub chaining on linode".

Thanks, I just tried following the guides on that and it didn't work :(

• BBTNBBTN Member

@MrGeneral @dediserve any news on this? I'd be interested in doing a fresh install using Jessie.

• sinsin Member
    edited April 2015

@BBTN said:
    MrGeneral dediserve any news on this? I'd be interested in doing a fresh install using Jessie.

I tried it again yesterday and it still didn't work :( Jessie officially becomes stable this coming weekend too. You can install Jessie on Dediserve but you have to use the old Wheezy kernel and not the kernel that comes with Jessie.

Thanked by 1BBTN
  • Dediserve support is promp, good manners, know what they do. Simply great.

James is also great to work with

Thanked by 2dediserve NanoG6

@BBTN said:
    MrGeneral dediserve any news on this? I'd be interested in doing a fresh install using Jessie.

@BBTN,

Hello,

No news yet. If @Dediserve can provide me a test HVM instance (I tested XenPV for free from @Dediserve to see if it'd be possible to ugrade to Jessie) so this time I'll try to get a XenHVM which should work.

Until then, the "official" explanation is that their current Xen version does not support the new encryptation used in the new kernel. We shall see what's coming up.

@sin,

That is correct. Right now the only way to run Jessie is using the old kernel, which wouldn't make sense at all.

@inthecloudblog,

James is indeed a great guy with lots of patience! :) I admire him a lot.

I'm sure they'll figure out a way to get Jessie running, and I'll try to work with them debugging as much as possible.

As for the moment, only XenHVM seems to be able to run Jessie, but the instance I tested to upgrade was XenPV. I'll have a talk with @Dediserve to see if they can provide me a XenHVM instance, and get Jessie running on it.

I'll update you as soon as possible folks.

Thanked by 2sin dediserve
  • Maybe you could setup some hack where it boots with the older kernel, then the boot scripts (or inside initrd) detect it's the old kernel and kexecs the new kernel and boots with it.

@rds100 said:
    Maybe you could setup some hack where it boots with the older kernel, then the boot scripts (or inside initrd) detect it's the old kernel and kexecs the new kernel and boots with it.

I doubt that'd be possible. Xen is not complete virtualization such as KVM, therefore the kernel needs to be compatible with their Xen version. The issue resides precisely there, the new kernel isn't supported because it utilizes another form of encryption, sadly.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • The kernel is not encrypted, it's compressed. Xen's "bootloader" probably doesn't know the new compression method and doesn't know how to boot the new kernel. I don't know, kexec-ing from the old kernel might still work. Doesn't hurt to try it.

Thanked by 1dediserve

@rds100 said:
    The kernel is not encrypted, it's compressed. Xen's "bootloader" probably doesn't know the new compression method and doesn't know how to boot the new kernel. I don't know, kexec-ing from the old kernel might still work. Doesn't hurt to try it.

I am sorry, totally my fault. It's the new type of compression that is not compatible (I woke up and didn't think right! Although I've mentioned it a few posts earlier in this thread). You're completely right :-).

That's precisely the issue, though. I'll see what I can do with @Dediserve.

Thanked by 1sin
  • BBTNBBTN Member

Could you figure something out? @MrGeneral

• If it helps, we're trialing KVM at the moment, which will make life simpler.

Thanked by 2eva2000 Umair