Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MXRoute, USA or Europe based? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MXRoute, USA or Europe based?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2015

@4n0nx said:
    Oh. 1m pps are not that much, right? :|

I swear he was going for 2m! Lol

It actually wasn't targeted to us at all either. It hit our primary IP which never, since the purchase of the server, had been tied to any hostname of mine. Now mitigation is blocking UDP out, so reverse lookups are failing and Exim is struggling.

I've simply no choice, tonight MX1 is migrating to BuyVM's EU location. @Francisco knows how to handle floods, for too long now I've been letting someone else handle them. I've always known better. Tunneling just doesn't cut it when you're running a mail server. Time to do it right.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Jar said:
    I've simply no choice, tonight MX1 is migrating to BuyVM's EU location. Francisco knows how to handle floods, for too long now I've been letting someone else handle them. I've always known better. Tunneling just doesn't cut it when you're running a mail server. Time to do it right.

BuyVM's EU location?

That's awwwwwwwwweeeeesome!

Really glad to read that. You're doing the best for your customers, that's why I think it's more than worth to signup for your services, plus, we help your business growing. I like to help LET members businesses.

Thanked by 2jar linuxthefish

MrGeneral said: Really glad to read that

I don't like provider hopping for production services, but I'm not afraid to do it when I'm backed into a corner :)

Thanked by 2MikePT BlazeMuis

@Jar said:
    I don't like provider hopping for production services, but I'm not afraid to do it when I'm backed into a corner :)

If you're doing it to improve the quality of your services, then you should definitely do it, it'll be worth in long-term. :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • Yay for BuyVM! :)

Thanked by 3MikePT jar 4n0nx
  • @Jar said:

>

Really long night ahead for you! Hope it all comes out well :-) and +1 for BuyVM.

Thanked by 1jar

A 130gb rsync while trying to be respectful of the pipe....that's the worst part.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Jar: One word - objectstore! This stops the need to move data, you just move the heads if needed.

Thanked by 1aglodek

@MarkTurner said:
    Jar: One word - objectstore! This stops the need to move data, you just move the heads if needed.

Fair point :D

• @Jar - you can then also have multiple heads from the same object store, so geographic distribution is easy to do.

@Jar said:
    A 130gb rsync while trying to be respectful of the pipe....that's the worst part.

How's it going? :P

@MrGeneral said:
    How's it going? :P

24GB in on the rsync, hasn't been going that long though, other preparations had to be made before I could begin. So we're making good time :)

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Jar said:
    24GB in on the rsync, hasn't been going that long though, other preparations had to be made before I could begin. So we're making good time :)

Sounds good, I'm excited to have my account deployed, no rush though, I assume you've ordered BuyVM storage, in Europe, right?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

MrGeneral said: Sounds good, I'm excited to have my account deployed, no rush though, I assume you've ordered BuyVM storage, in Europe, right?

I think BuyVM is off on weekends

• @MarkTurner said: One word - objectstore! This stops the need to move data, you just move the heads if needed.

Interesting idea. Not practical though when migrating things to a new location ~100ms away, I think?

• @Aglodek - you don't migrate the data, you just move the head around and point it to the objectstore.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @MarkTurner said: you don't migrate the data, you just move the head around and point it to the objectstore.

I get that. I was referring to latency between the new heads and data.

@MrGeneral said:
    Sounds good, I'm excited to have my account deployed, no rush though, I assume you've ordered BuyVM storage, in Europe, right?

Not the storage line but I added a lot of storage to it :)

@aglodek said:
    I get that. I was referring to latency between the new heads and data.

Even with added latency it would definitely speed up things like what I'm doing now, then I could move the storage elsewhere and reduce latency after the fact. Certainly a lesser evil on days like today. There's definitely going to be some dividing up of services/tasks this round.

Thanked by 2MikePT aglodek
  • @aglodek - Keep them relatively (< 40ms) apart and you are fine. Obviously you jurisdictional issues hoping between continents so you're not going to want to do that too often. Remember IMAP latency is horrendous anyway especially with maildir/mailbox so the objectstore will save you a some latency there and you'll gain some between the heads/objectstore. But at 30-40ms its not going to be noticeable.

Thanked by 1aglodek

@Jar said:
    Not the storage line but I added a lot of storage to it :)

Makes sense, doesn't get cheap to you! Definitely worths. :)

edited April 2015

Props to @Jar for being working non-stop (he just updated a ticket, so he's still online) to ensure that our services will be working and no downtime is present.

You've gained a loyal "to-stick" customer.

He has been updating the announcement at https://billing.mxroute.com/announcements.php?id=28

I couldn't recommend more his services, he definitely does it right to ensure that we're happy customers.

Providers, take this as an example how you should run your services!

Thanked by 1jar

MrGeneral said: working non-stop

I'll sleep when I die ;)

@Jar said:

No problem, I'm here to talk if you need! :P

It's 7 am here and I'm still awake as well :-)

Thanked by 1jar
  • So @Jar I'm guessing your services are now in LUX, are they staying there or are you going to move back to USA/Canada?

edited April 2015

@rmlhhd said:
    So Jar I'm guessing your services are now in LUX, are they staying there or are you going to move back to USA/Canada?

As long as I don't wear out my welcome with BuyVM I'll gladly stay there :) Certainly if I were to move back to the US I believe notice would be in order, as the fact that I'm not there may be a selling point for some.

I'm not a big fan of hopping around, more of an unfortunate result of circumstances.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Okay, well it seems we maybe competing then. With your physical presence being in the US and the servers in Canada there was/is a market for a similar service to MXRoute in the EU which is why I've been spending many hours setting up servers with OVH/Online.net for my "EU" version of MXRoute since I'm based in the UK and the servers will ONLY be based in the EU.

edited April 2015

rmlhhd said: it seems we maybe competing then

Sorry! :(

For what it's worth, I like competition. Options are good for everyone :) Plus you can totally take a jab at me for the downtime today ;)

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Jar said:
    For what it's worth, I like competition. Options are good for everyone :) Plus you can totally take a jab at me for the downtime today ;

MXroute will always be MXroute :P

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Jar said:
    For what it's worth, I like competition. Options are good for everyone :) Plus you can totally take a jab at me for the downtime today ;)

I agree, competition is good :)

Thanked by 1jar

And @Jar managed to get it back online, my account has been provisioned and emails were setup.

Jar, don't forget to set the proper rDNS record! :)

Thanked by 1jar