Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QuadIX iDrac - Mounting ISO
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QuadIX iDrac - Mounting ISO

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited April 2015 in Help

Hello folks,

Are any of you able to use QuadIX iDrac, mounting ISO's?

I can't seem to mount an ISO, tried different java versions. The iDrac firmware is outdated and they gave me Operator role so I can't update it myself (they lied telling me there was no newer iDrac firmware). For the record, I have a huge ticket with them demanding to upgrade their iDrac firmware version, v1.97 and v1.98 fully support java 7.

Here's the error I'm getting, tried in 4 different computers with different java environments: http://gyazo.com/ea7430e319580454db5b83009a209eb9

Comments

• To put it bluntly, thats because iDrac is a pile of crap! Its just a Dell hacked up version of MegaRac IPMI which is hell on ALL platforms.

Its not QuadIX's fault, its just very old kit.

• Which OS have you used? I notice that Windows is the only reliable OS when it comes to iDRAC/IPMi.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@MarkTurner said:
    To put it bluntly, thats because iDrac is a pile of crap! Its just a Dell hacked up version of MegaRac IPMI which is hell on ALL platforms.

Its not QuadIX's fault, its just very old kit.

http://gyazo.com/81ad79cc17cc7bf2babad2febbfec939
    http://gyazo.com/340a9127b3fef618a6bb09f819c86d5c

Please correct me if I'm wrong, there are newer firmware updates that might fix this, and java 7 support.

• @MrGeneral - Irrespective, iDrac is hell. I wouldn't touch it. Why are you trying to install Centos 6 via ISO. Don't they have an installation system to use?

edited April 2015

@Steven_F said:
    Which OS have you used? I notice that Windows is the only reliable OS when it comes to iDRAC/IPMi.

Hello Steven!

I've tried:

Windows 7

Windows 8 64 bit

2xWindows Server 2012

Java Environments:

Java 7

Java 6

Java 5.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2015

Just ask them to log into admin, and activate auto-mount in the Vritual Media configuration section.

Resolution:

• In IDRAC, click on "System" in the far left column.
    • Then, click on the "Console/Media" tab.
    • Then, click on "Configuration".
    • Then, select "Attach" in the "Status" row under "Virtual Media".
    • And finally, apply your changes.
    • You should now be able to mount an ISO as you would expect to be able to.

Otherwise, like I said, activate the auto-mount and the problem is fixed. Only the Administrator can do it.

Thanked by 2MikePT ItsChrisG

@davidgestiondbi said:
    Just ask them to log into admin, and activate auto-mount in the Vritual Media configuration section.

Will do, thank you!

@MarkTurner said:
    MrGeneral - Irrespective, iDrac is hell. I wouldn't touch it. Why are you trying to install Centos 6 via ISO. Don't they have an installation system to use?

Hello Mark,

Not at all. They installed CentOS 7 which was the ISO I choose when I signed up with them, but I'll need CentOS 6 so I requested iDrac access as they advertise. I know their iDrac cards are old, but still supported. The firmware update 1.97 even supports java 7, which could fix this issue I'm experiencing.

They also have not bothered to read the whole cancellation ticket, they replied me with a single text line.

• earlearl Member

If the iDrac don't work maybe you can ask them to hook you up with the Lantronix KVMoIP.. They did that over at volumedrive.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @earl - Lantronix KVMoIP generally use SMB to mount the ISO which can be an interesting experience over the public Internet.

Thanked by 1MikePT

Let's see how it goes, I'm still willing to give them another chance.

I have edited the thread title, and am willing to give them another chance to prove me they can definitely provide a working iDrac. At least, if they update the firmware version, it should fix it.

@earl said:
    If the iDrac don't work maybe you can ask them to hook you up with the Lantronix KVMoIP.. They did that over at volumedrive.

I'll try to :-)

• just re-mount and continue the installation.. can confirm it doesn't cause any corruption with centos 6/7 as well as debian 7

• @MrGeneral said:
    I have edited the thread title, and am willing to give them another chance to prove me they can definitely provide a working iDrac. At least, if they update the firmware version, it should fix it.

you have a 'working drac' I'm pretty sure they all do that

• earlearl Member

@MarkTurner said:
    earl - Lantronix KVMoIP generally use SMB to mount the ISO which can be an interesting experience over the public Internet.

Been a while since I used it, so can't recall how well it worked..

• earlearl Member

@MrGeneral

Is this the L5630 servers? did you have to pay an extra $10 for the virtual media feature?

Thanked by 1MikePT

@earl said:
    MrGeneral

Is this the L5630 servers? did you have to pay an extra $10 for the virtual media feature?

Hello,

Dedicated Hosting - Dual Intel Xeon X5650 24 Core Dedicated Server

And no :P

Thanked by 1earl
  • dougsdougs Member

You can simply install OpenIPMI and use ipmitool to add an Admin user and enable automount.
    e.g.

ipmitool channel setaccess 1 2 link=on ipmi=on callin=on privilege=4

Not rocket science, but check the man page for ipmi.

@dougs said:
    You can simply install OpenIPMI and use ipmitool to add an Admin user and enable automount.
    e.g.

Not rocket science, but check the man page for ipmi.

Not sure if that'll work, I'd rather have this iDrac updated.

@ronaldgrn said:
    just re-mount and continue the installation.. can confirm it doesn't cause any corruption with centos 6/7 as well as debian 7

I can't even mount, nor even install, obviously.

@ronaldgrn said:
    you have a 'working drac' I'm pretty sure they all do that

It's not working well, I can't mount any ISO's.

edited April 2015

@davidgestiondbi said:

Resolution:

Otherwise, like I said, activate the auto-mount and the problem is fixed. Only the Administrator can do it.

I'll let them know about this right now. If it works, then thank you so much! :)

I'll let you know of any results.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • dougsdougs Member

@MrGeneral said:
    Not sure if that'll work, I'd rather have this iDrac updated.

It does work. I've done it myself on a Quadix box. I can give you guys more details instructions later if there is a need/interest.

And yeah, a newer version is always better - you can update the firmware yourself too, if you dare - I can give you info, it's a google away, but I would NOT recommend doing this, as you risk bricking their hardware and, well, that's just not nice.

edited April 2015

@dougs said:
    And yeah, a newer version is always better - you can update the firmware yourself too, if you dare - I can give you info, it's a google away, but I would NOT recommend doing this, as you risk bricking their hardware and, well, that's just not nice.

Hello,

To be honest I've never done it so using ipmitool right now isn't something I should try, unless I know what I'm doing :P

I can't upgrade the iDrac version to a newer version though. How would you do it?

Edit: Googled the default username and pw (root:calvin), and it's been changing from the default password. So what info can you give me?

edited April 2015

@dougs said:

THANK YOOOOOOOOOOU!

Well, I resetted their iDrac password and gone ahead to fix this myself. > @davidgestiondbi said:

Resolution:

This was the solution. I can finally mount any ISO and works just fine. :-)

Setting it to auto-mount has fixed it!

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • dougsdougs Member
    edited April 2015

@MrGeneral said:
    THANK YOOOOOOOOOOU!

Most welcome, but I would honestly not recommend resetting their password on the IPMI, they likely utilize that for centralized management. Rather, you should update the privileges of your IPMI user to have administrative rights. I'll throw a quick how-to together and put it up in the next few days. It's actually REALLY simple, just a few commands, with the first being 'sudo apt-get install openipmi'. You can also then use ipmitool to monitor sensor data (temps, etc) as well as other functionality.

This is not something that is specific to Quadix. OpenIPMI supports the IPMI devices in a great many chassis/boards, and additionally Dell (as well as HP, SuperMicro, etc) all have deb repos available where you can obtain other management tools for things such as HW RAID, etc.

Again, this is not something to play with without first learning about it. You can easily mess stuff up.

Let me know if this kind of stuff is interesting to people and I can write up a tutorial or how-to about it. I was thinking of doing likewise with some more advanced networking techniques using things like linux namespaces and OpenVSwitch to achieve all kinds of awesome fun. ;)

Feel free to reach out to me if anyone has any specific questions. Glad to help if I have extra time, but don't expect lightning fast responses - I have work to do...or so I tell myself.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@dougs said:
    Feel free to reach out to me if anyone has any specific questions. Glad to help if I have extra time, but don't expect lightning fast responses - I have work to do...or so I tell myself.

Sure thing dougs. I'll describe to them how I managed to fix it. They said it was a java issue and I tried several environments. This wasn't the issue. I replied to the ticket telling them I'd say how I managed to fix it (thanks to this thread, mainly @davidgestiondbi and you). I'll of course give them the credentials for the iDrac. I had to fix this as I was getting crazy! This was a 17 hour fight! :P

You should indeed write a tutorial, I'd help me and lots other users. Honestly, I first thought about resetting the iDrac password, but wasn't aware the error, clearly stating that the drive isn't attached, should be auto-mounted as I set in the iDrac for it to work the way I want :-).

I appreciate your help. I'll be launching my KVM offerings soon and this wouldn't be possible without this thread. :-)

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • MarkTurner said: @earl - Lantronix KVMoIP generally use SMB to mount the ISO which can be an interesting experience over the public Internet.

I normally mount ISO's through SMB in supermicro and don't notice that much of a speed drop, however the initial loading bit when booting from the ISO seems a bit slow.

Hello folks,

After reading this all over, I decided to request for a refund. I may given QuadIX the benefit of doubt later and order a server for backup purposes, although this time I decided to go ahead and order a server from @ItsChrisG. While the configuration isn't cheap as QuadIX, it's far superior and will allow me to provide a really decent service to my customers.

I appreciate your input, it's really valuable. We're all here to share and learn.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • timnboystimnboys Member
    edited April 2015

@MrGeneral said:
    Hello folks,

After reading this all over, I decided to request for a refund. I may given QuadIX the benefit of doubt later and order a server for backup purposes, although this time I decided to go ahead and order a server from ItsChrisG. While the configuration isn't cheap as QuadIX, it's far superior and will allow me to provide a really decent service to my customers.

I appreciate your input, it's really valuable. We're all here to share and learn.

Really? the wht(webhostingtalk) forum ad they had yesterday said "full" not "half full" ipmi access and by that I was expecting them to give me full admin access to the ipmi as they should as I already paid for the idrac enterprise and it was said in their ad they would just waiting for them to setup my server though.

here is link to wht ad:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=bdb5d53e944007a37479bc4e9b2807ee&t=1468714

quote stating full ipmi access(idrac):

★★ 16 Core / 32 GB Ram / 250GB SSD - or 1 TB / 1 GBPS / FULL IPMI Dedicated Server Special ★★
    ★★2 x CPU Intel Xeon L5630 2.4 Ghz (16 cores w/hyper threading):★★

» 2 x Intel Xeon X5630 (16 cores total w/HT)

» 32 GB ECC Memory FREE UPGRADE!

» 250GB SSD or 1TB SATA Hard Drive FREE UPGRADE!

» 1 Gbps Port (30TB Transfer)

» 3 IP Addresses

» LSI Hardware Raid 0, 1 and 10 supported
    » SSD storage available

» Full DELL Dedicated iDRAC IPMI Access (reboot, reload and rescue)