Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good is the network / uptime of Delimiter
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How good is the network / uptime of Delimiter

Hi

I'm thinking of hiring a server with them, using these servers is to host some important sites for me.

I would like to know how good the network and the uptime of its servers.

Another vendor that I have in mind is Dacentec, which will be better?

Comments

• MunMun Member

From a few people that I have talked to, there support is slow and smacking mark on LET is more effective then ever waiting for there normal support. I have also heard things about there network going to shit.

Really the worry that they all hold is that they don't really trust Delimiter.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Mine works excellent

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • I use delimiter and I love them I will give you a speedtest or whatever you need as I can tell you my delimiter server has been up for a long time(it may show my server hasn't been up for more than 14 days but that was because of my fault of doing something to virtualizor causing me to have to reboot the server through ipmi).
    16:37:05 up 14 days, 18:48, 1 user, load average: 0.25, 0.27, 0.24
    so please just tell me which one you need to help you out with your decision also talk to @MarkTurner too.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

In a word, excellent. Never had a significant issue with uptime and support was fast and helpful to me several times, even after I received an incoming DDOS.

Thanked by 2netomx MarkTurner
  • timnboystimnboys Member
    edited March 2015

@Jar said:
    In a word, excellent. Never had a significant issue with uptime and support was fast and helpful to me several times, even after I received an incoming DDOS.

this is what I would say too. there great.
    although I never had ddos so I cannot really speak on that aspect though.

• I've heard both good and bad things of Delimiter.

It's worth a try, because you have @MarkTurner here. I can tell you he's active, friendly, will try to do his best to support you.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • There are always bad things, some people love Delimiter, some people hate them. Its more about how you perceive the relationship.

Remember a lot of people who hate their support is because they sell unmanaged servers and then people want a managed service. Most of the time I hear sterling reports of their support and that they've gone the extra mile, but don't have the expectation that they'll suddenly start managing your servers and configuring them for you.

The three guys handling their L1 support are all RHCE and have a minimum of 3 years real-world commercial/enterprise experience. They all come from corporate backgrounds rather than children playing around.

• If you want to know about network, I can say that it has been great from Dec when I purchased their L5420. Did not need to contact support frequently so I have no opinion.

Cannot give any idea about Dacentec since I have not been with them, but what I heard is also good :-)

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

So is that 3 guys each on a different 8 hour shift, so there's only one L1 support guy available at any one time?

• Well, obvious thing: if you plan using it in Europe - the network will suck.

• Nekki said: So is that 3 guys each on a different 8 hour shift, so there's only one L1 support guy available at any one time?

That is correct, they handle primary questions and anything they can't handle straight off they just escalate.

• at0mic said: the network will suck

How so?

• shileno said: Another vendor that I have in mind is Dacentec, which will be better?

I missed your original question. That answer is obvious - Of course Delimiter :)

• at0micat0mic Member
    edited March 2015

@MarkTurner said:

Well, latency is around 130-150ms if using from Spain/Italy, which is normal, but worth mentioning for anyone thinking of overseas dedi.

• Telefonica Spain last time I was there was about 94ms to Atlanta

• If i remember they had some issues with power a while back, but otherwise everything is fine!

P.S there are not many good speedtest.net servers around Atlanta that can do Gigabit...

• I've had an Atom with them for a month and it has been rock solid, no downtime, no network drops that my monitoring has seen. I've been very happy with their network and the ticket response. I've not had to open any major support tickets just RDNS and some sales questions and everything has been responded in a time I feel ok. RDNS took about 8 hours sales ticket and a billing change (monthly to annual) all took less than a couple of hours. The free 10 domain Interworx is a very nice bonus too.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • at0micat0mic Member
    edited March 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    Telefonica Spain last time I was there was about 94ms to Atlanta

Spain is really an agricultural country with shitty internet, but I've tried pinging from another server in Italy which is connected to Level3(NTT), and it's the same story.
    So far it's only 9 hops away but the NTT link between continents is poor

ae-25.r03.amstnl02.nl.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.6.128) 27.991 ms 28.049 ms 21.491 ms

>

67.111.20.80.ptr.us.xo.net (67.111.20.80) 15.429 ms 21.224 ms 15.438 ms

>

te0-3-4-0.rar3.washington-dc.us.xo.net (207.88.13.198) 107.669 ms 105.324 ms 108.970 ms

• linuxthefish said: speedtest.net

Speedtest.net that is a joke, you can manipulate the results so easily. You can intercept the IPs of the testers or force a test client to use a local one. I've seen some stunning instances of this in one particular network.

Tracerouted the IP and it looked normal, but traffic to port 80/443 (don't remember which) was intercepted and locally responded to.

Thanked by 2netomx Infinity
  • @shileno said:

Had experience with both and I would say both are great providers, however from more personal experience the guys at Dacentec support are excellent at helping you out with issues.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • at0mic said: Spain is really an agricultural country with shitty internet

I used to work there, Telefonica is not that bad.

Can you PM me the full traceroute, that looks a little strange.

• NomadNomad Member
    edited March 2015

@MarkTurner said:

Just try the speedtest.net with a compression enabled VPN. I know I am getting 78Mbps on my 24 Mbps home connection (:

• Nomad said: I know I am getting 78Mbps on my 24 Mbps home connection (:

There are better ones than that. I know of one provider, who has 200Mbps of Internet connection yet his customers who run the speedtest get 800-900Mbps! He has setup local interception of just the test traffic, traceroutes pass outwards to the test servers.

speedtest.net should just be put out of its misery, its a stupid/flawed tool

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited March 2015

How many atoms are on gigabit uplink in these blade things, like is 1Gbps port shared between different servers?

• It's strange there ain't no Looking Glass on delimiter or is there any?

• @linuxthefish - 20 Atoms per pod, each pod has 10GE uplink. The biggest problem with the Atom's network performance is the NIC, I think the fastest I have ever got out of it is 800Mbps.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • at0mic said: It's strange there ain't no Looking Glass on delimiter or is there any?

No

• I would like to load FreePbx/Asterisk on one of the dual -core atoms. Can anyone give me an idea of the network speed. Asterisk is worthless if ping times go above 60ms, too much latency/jitter.

• techwiz44 said: I would like to load FreePbx/Asterisk on one of the dual -core atoms. Can anyone give me an idea of the network speed. Asterisk is worthless if ping times go above 60ms, too much latency/jitter.

Network is fine, we have a lot of VoIP providers on our network. But I would NOT use one of those Atoms for it. You need a LOT more computing power than that especially if you are doing transcoding.

• BruceBruce Member

network - very good

uptime - blades are 100%. atoms seem to drop a couple of time a year, and sometimes dont powerup (but power cycle from their panel worked every time)

support - usually very good to excellent, depending on the question.

no complaints here

BTW, ping from UK is 90-100ms. 96ms today :)

Thanked by 1MarkTurner