Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest, fast & most reliable backup/cloud sync solution (for 10, 20 years)? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest, fast & most reliable backup/cloud sync solution (for 10, 20 years)?

2»

Comments

• Just switched from a custom Amazon S3+Glacier solution to Google Cloud Nearline storage. Cheaper and more flexible to use for my purposes.

• edited March 2015

Also get a safe at your bank ;)
    Use different types of storage / formats

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

deadbeef said: The answer to this is to have more redundancy ;)

Yes, you need at least RAIC-1 storage.

(RAIC = Redundant Array of Independent Clouds)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • bigcatbigcat Member
    edited March 2015

@MichaelBui said:
    bigcat, how much do you estimate it will cost me (yearly/monthly)?

Simple estimated figure: $16/month

$3840 for 20years is cheap! Not to mention that storage have become commodity and only will go lower in prices every other month.

Details

Glacier is one of the complexly priced Amazon product. I could go on for hours to explain how they prices it. To make it to $16/month figure,

• 1 object is better than multiple object(UPLOAD & RETRIEVE pricing is expensive)

• You better not restore unless you have to (they price restore based on median speed of download A.K.A complicated calculation)

Personally, I still will recommend Glacier over Nearline for archive.
    gaul.org/object-store-comparison/

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2015

bigcat said: $3840 for 20years is cheap!

Yeah and be sure to pre-pay all 4K in advance to your account, because who knows what will happen next!

And it's not like Amazon can discontinue this service or raise prices or go bankrupt or get bought out, because certainly no such thing has ever happened in the past, not to the biggest companies in the industry.

MichaelBui said: I need to backup video of my kids for 10, 20 years (sometime want to watch them on-the-fly as well).

Oh and since I'm replying once more...
    1) backup and "watch live" are two different things, do not try to combine them; assume you will have at least two copies, one live and one is the actual backup.
    2) nothing is reliable in a 10-20 years timescale, the only answer is to continuously maintain the data yourself, i.e. copy or move it between services or storage devices, let's say once in 1-3 years, verifying each time that everything is still readable; and at all times keep multiple copies in different places/technologies (e.g. "cloud" + local NAS) if it's truly important.

• rm_ said: Yeah and be sure to pre-pay all 4K in advance to your account, because who knows what will happen next!

And it's not like Amazon can discontinue this service or raise prices or go bankrupt or get bought out, because certainly no such thing has ever happened in the past, not to the biggest companies in the industry.

As with the nature of any estimation, we can only hope for the best.

Glacier doesn't lock your data in. It can be restored at anytime should Amazon plan to do anything stupid(increase price/bankrupt etc).

• I love Dropbox! hehe