Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest, fast & most reliable backup/cloud sync solution (for 10, 20 years)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest, fast & most reliable backup/cloud sync solution (for 10, 20 years)?

I need to backup video of my kids for 10, 20 years (sometime want to watch them on-the-fly as well). What's the best solution you can suggest:

• Storage: 100GB - 1TB
  • Cheapest? Qihoo/Tencent chinese cloud
  • Fast? Dropbox
  • Reliable? Google Drive

Just want to mention, some video is more than 1GB so I expect file size limit will be high or unlimited if possible.

Comments

• Just host everything on YouTube and make them private. Fast, free, unlimited as well.

• I forget to mention, my data is not only video but also others like photo, documents, project data, db backup,...

• We never know what will happen in the future. So just do what you can do.

If you want to keep the video format, so don't use Youtube. The only I can trust it can be reliable in next 10,20 years is Google. So +1 for Google Drive.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2015

comXyz said: The only I can trust it can be reliable in next 10,20 years is Google.

Really? Just see how many services they have abandoned and shutdown in the last years. Google code was the last one i remember.

I think Amazon storage will be around a lot longer than google drive..

Thanked by 3linuxthefish jvnadr rm_
  • @comXyz said:
    We never know what will happen in the future. So just do what you can do.

If you want to keep the video format, so don't use Youtube. The only I can trust it can be reliable in next 10,20 years is Google. So +1 for Google Drive.

You're forgetting Google IS Youtube.

@rds100 said:

Yea. Amazon, and maybe DropBox (first company to really make cloud storage popular)

• earlearl Member

I would probably just get a home NAS, like a drobo or a synology.. They normally have apps that allow you to access your content over the internet..

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2015

I use external hdds (2 copies, 2 locations). In the future I might drop 1 copy and migrate it to Glacier.

• Amazon glacier yes. DVD or tape drives will also work if you can get them for cheap, keep a copy at work or friends house.

I have CD's from 10 years ago that still work fine, if you buy high quality.

• linuxthefish said: Amazon glacier

Amazon Glacier is not on-the-fly friendly.

• My friend is offering me WD My Cloud EX4 8TB. How do you think?

• @eLohkCalb said:
    Amazon Glacier is not on-the-fly friendly.

Doesn't matter. He can have a on-the-fly setup, then have backups on Glacier since he's looking for something that will exist in 10, 20 years.

• cociucociu Member

20 years is many years , but we can provide you 1 tb in raid 10 for 49$/year

• Upload to S3, and auto-archive to Glacier automatically using S3 lifecycle policy.

There's a lot of S3 GUI tool for all major OS.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @bigcat, how much do you estimate it will cost me (yearly/monthly)?

• With any of these cloud services, you have to ask a very important question before choosing: "If this service shuts down in a week, how do I get my data out?", if you can't answer this question easily, you might want to reconsider. 20 years is a very long time in this industry, but if you can at least make sure that you can always migrate your data elsewhere, then you'll probably be fine.

• @JacobH said:
    With any of these cloud services, you have to ask a very important question before choosing: "If this service shuts down in a week, how do I get my data out?", if you can't answer this question easily, you might want to reconsider. 20 years is a very long time in this industry, but if you can at least make sure that you can always migrate your data elsewhere, then you'll probably be fine.

The answer to this is to have more redundancy ;)

• def. have more then one location/company as mirror.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited March 2015

Get 100 percent control. This is the only way to be sure for the future in long term ( home internet become several times faster at every decade and more relaible)

http://apcmag.com/how-to-build-your-own-nas-box.htm/

• @coolice said:
    Get 100 percent control. This is the only way to be sure for the future in long term

Fire, theft, accident - doesn't sound that sure to me unless you have redundancy in which case 100% control in every copy is not important.

• @deadbeef said:

You can combine that with cheaper online such as hubic not care more for 10 years of the service...

fire theft is not an issue for me, but accident is valid you never know for the big rock from out of space

• I'd always use Amazon Glacier as a secondary just in case.

• With the use of Google Drive, you can store up to 15 GB data at free of cost. It is a most reliable option to secure cloud storage and file backup for your photos, videos, files and more.

• Youtube is a big financial hole for Google. They will change it in the near feature, but anyone can tell now what changes would be there (paid subscriptions? Paid storage? Who knows?).

On the other hand, there were several services that are now defunkt. Do you remember geocities? Who would imagine back in the early '00 that it will be closed?

MySpace has shrinked a lot after FB rising and its feature is not guaranteed.

Sum up: there is no guarantee that Youtube will continue in 10 or 20 years to be like today. The best (free) solution is uploading to 2-3 free services (dailymotion, vimeo etx.) or backup services (dropbox, onecloud etc.) and monitor them from time to time that they exist and having the material.

• mpkossen said: Amazon Glacier

Amazon Glacier is a good choice for secondary store.

Host primary at home, backup to Glacier and you'll be set. I wouldn't bank on any of these free or freemium services. Youtube may suddenly close or change the terms of service so that Google can make all private videos public and exploit them for advertising and so on.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said:

Google Code still works.

• Radi said: Google Code still works.

It will stop in January 2016.

• I'd recommend Glacier as well (along with a local copy). Clearly Glacier doesn't meet your 'on-the-fly' requirement, but I think you can sacrifice that - imagine you remember a moment from your kid's first time at the fair in 15 year's time, could you really not wait a few hours for Glacier to retrieve the copy?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

rds100 said: Google code was the last one i remember.

Exactly, if I was to choose a code hosting service a couple of years ago, one of the upsides of Google Code would have been "hey it's Google, it is reliable, it will be here in the long term". But even the close down of Google Reader should have been the first sign for everybody that this couldn't be further from the truth.

• earlearl Member

@MichaelBui said:
    My friend is offering me WD My Cloud EX4 8TB. How do you think?

That looks nice..I would get that if not too expensive and probably put into raid 1 so you have 4TB of storage... i've used the wd cloud app on android, works pretty good.. probably one for apple as well..

You can try and install the app it has a demo mode.. you can see if you like it.

• I use bluray rw discs for family files and occasionally ask a family member to store a disc for me. I also use DVDs for specific data so they can play back the smaller data