Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr and Dediserve
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr and Dediserve

nfnnfn Veteran

Hello,

For those of you that used both providers, could you give me some insights between both, mainly about performance and reliability in real world usage?

Thanks

Thanked by 1dediserve

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

What locations are you looking at?

• Vultr is pretty good, I use them to host a ts3, and irc server. No complaints, haven't been kicked off yet so that's a good sign.

• nfnnfn Veteran

I'm looking for London.

• I've been using Vultr since May of last year without any downtime at all.

• Key differential is that we're very open about our platform, which is designed for enterprise production use. We use HP Bl460C Gen8 (shortly Gen9) Blade servers running dual E5-2660 V2 processors, 4x 10Gbps nics and D2220SB Storage arrays running 12 800GB Enterprise SSD Drives with Flash Caching.

Thanked by 2nfn inthecloudblog
  • J1021J1021 Member

dediserve said: Key differential is that we're very open about our platform

How may this benefit me as a customer?

• @kcaj said:
    How may this benefit me as a customer?

By running an open, enterprise grade platform, build to deliver 'five nines' reliability - before virtualisation and orchestration tools, you get a truley scalable, enterprise grade performance platform that can give you uptime and performance.

Add to that you can scale RAM and CPU on the fly (rebootless) and our billing model lets you buy JUST ram or cores, or SSD or NAS or IPs and we've no set specs or limits.

If you need 1 GB RAM, 1 Core and 1TB SSD, thats fine, or 32 Cores, 128GB RAM, 200GB SSD to run a high IO database, or 4 cores, 4 GB RAM with 50GB disk and 128 IPs. Total flexibility you control.

Add to that our awesome 24/7 comprehensive support and great prices :)

• Try ABStation in UK, they fine, own DC, offer unmetered BW for request.

• We also give you free gigabit private LAN, firewalls, snapshots and has a NAS on demand service (with another dedicated free gigabit NIC to mount)

Thanked by 2MikePT nfn
  • nfnnfn Veteran

The idea was getting some real world usage. The specs I can get in both sites.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • dediserve > vultr

Vultr is singlehomed trash.

• nfnnfn Veteran

@tr1cky beside that, any performance comparation betweeen them?

Thanks

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited March 2015

@dediserve can resources be shared between locations? Can I use Railgun in all domains I have in the cloudflare account?

Thanks

• J1021J1021 Member

tr1cky said: dediserve > vultr

Vultr is singlehomed trash.

Vultr have removed the word "multihome" from their website for the time being and are working hard to get their locations multihomed. There is no denying that Vultr have started off on the wrong foot with some of their customers (or this community) but they are working hard to make an even better product for the same affordable price. I think people like you need to find some composure in yourself and get over it like an adult.

Dediserve and Vultr are catering for different markets/needs and their price tags are respective of that.

@dediserve Congrats on your rip of the Linode site.

• @nfn said:
    dediserve can resources be shared between locations? Can I use Railgun in all domains I have in the cloudflare account?

Thanks

Each resource pool is tied to a location, so you would have a resource pool per location.

RailGun is standard on any cloudflare domains you have on our IP ranges / in our clouds, as a CloudFlare Optimized partner

Thanked by 1nfn
  • alegeekalegeek Member
    edited March 2015

I've used both, currently using dediserve and the performance has been stellar!

160+ days uptime on my server, not noticed any network problems. I've got a 2gb instance from one of their 50% off offers, the dedicated CPU is very noticeable :) we had 500 members online on our forum recently and the server load never went past 1.00 running XenForo, nginx, php-fpm and MariaDB. I didn't get this kind of performance on Linode and was paying them twice as much.

Thanked by 2dediserve nfn
  • @kcaj said:

On that basis you could accuse linode of ripping Digital Ocean, or Vultr of ripping Linode. :)

Each cloud to their own, customers will choose a provide based on their needs and the focus / style of the provider, not just on price point.

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited March 2015

@dediserve said:
    RailGun is standard on any cloudflare domains you have on our IP ranges / in our clouds, as a CloudFlare Optimized partner

So, I don't need to install Railgun deb package in my vps?

Thanks

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • No, once you are on our clouds, the RailGun option in your existing cloudflare account will light up.

Thanked by 1nfn
  • As an Optimized partner, we run large railgun cache servers dedicated to each cloud to offload all that work for you.

Thanked by 1nfn
  • MuZoMuZo Member

@kcaj I don't think it's a rip off, lot of templates/websites for selling products use a macbook to show the item. In this case for a cloud/vps provider, a terminal is pretty appropriate, what else should they show? Also when explaining the features all cloud providers with multiple location and scalable plans will write: pick location, choose plan, expand, deploy, blabla, I find it "common stuff". Just because Linode has "Pick Location" another provider can't write it in their website? About the manager i don't really see how they are similar.

• nfnnfn Veteran

@dediserve do you have any recent benchmarks in serverbear?

• dediservedediserve Member
    edited March 2015

No we don't hold much Sway in benchmarks :)

Drop us a line if you'd like a brief trial or grab our current 50% off deal to see first hand.

Thanked by 1nfn
  • @dediserve said:
    No we don't hold much Sway in benchmarks :)

Drop us a line if you'd like a brief trial or grab our current 50% off deal to see first hand.

Honestly I'd say it'd be a no brainer! I'm usually one of those guys who purchase the plan, do a benchmark and complain that it doesn't match "X" plan from "X" provider. However for Dediserve, I didn't bother because I knew the quality was there, and if I ever have an issue they're there for me.

Thanked by 2nfn dediserve
  • ollietrexollietrex Member
    edited March 2015

We have found dediserve to be very good, we spent over a year researching cloud providers, aws, azure etc and decided on dediserve for our hosting. We not run a fairly big site out of there Dublin cloud and are very happy with the performance and support.

• sinsin Member

I think they're both great but if you think you're going to need a lot of resources or be able to scale up quickly then go with Dediserve.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • I am happy with both.

Vultr has so far been great for me and didn't face any major issue.

Only draw back I faced about Dediserve is that we need to purchase resources or cloud vm for each location separately. When we destroy the purchased instance or resource they don't refund any prorate amount.

I feel Vultr control panel more unfriendly than Dediserve in terms of deployment

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • @praveen said:

Only draw back I faced about Dediserve is that we need to purchase resources or cloud vm for each location separately. When we destroy the purchased instance or resource they don't refund any prorate amount.

If you scale down, the platform will pro-rate a credit, but cancellation wont at the moment.

Thanked by 1praveen
  • JonchunJonchun Member
    edited March 2015

@dediserve said:
    If you scale down, the platform will pro-rate a credit, but cancellation wont at the moment.

So basically, scale down as small as you can before you cancel :D

Granted, everyone on LET is going to be on the starter 2GB pack.

• Exactly that, and on cancellation you can choose 'at end of billing cycle' so everything stays online for the period you've paid.