Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChunkHost 128MB / 3GB Disk / 35GB BW Xen VPS - Price: FREE FOREVER
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChunkHost 128MB / 3GB Disk / 35GB BW Xen VPS - Price: FREE FOREVER

NickMNickM Member
edited September 2012 in General

Came across this offer on reddit today and I figured that you guys and gals might be interested. They require a facebook account to get your free VPS (they claim they won't post anything on your wall or anything like that).

Offer can be found here: http://chunkhost.com/r/nickmoeck

In the interest of full disclosure, yes, the above link is a referral link. I am in no way affiliated with ChunkHost, but I'll receive an extra 64MB of RAM for each person who signs up using the referral link. If you don't want to use the referral link, that's your choice, and it's fine with me - you can find the offer directly on their homepage.

EDIT: I figured it would be most appropriate if I put this in the General section, since it's not really an offer from me, but if you guys would prefer it be moved to the Offers section, let me know.

Thanked by 2Zero tinyray

Comments

• You got it? I signed up about 3 weeks ago and they said they're at full capacity.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @fan said: You got it? I signed up about 3 weeks ago and they said they're at full capacity.

Yep, mine was provisioned in about 3 minutes.

• Signed up with your link.
    I got this:

Sadly, we are at capacity at the moment, but we're fixing that ASAP!

• Signed up!

Thanks @NickM

• Just found this thread, looks like not everyone it getting one: http://freevps.us/thread-6166.html

• nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2012

@dnom said: Signed up with your link.

I got this:

Sadly, we are at capacity at the moment, but we're fixing that ASAP!

Same deal for me, so they harvested my email for nothing :o Glad I made a new facebook for this.

In their control panel, ChunkySoup pending-machine

• The fact that you're using a fake facebook may be the reason you're getting rejected. I saw something that says that they check that it's an established profile, with friends and whatnot.

• @NickM said: The fact that you're using a fake facebook may be the reason you're getting rejected. I saw something that says that they check that it's an established profile, with friends and whatnot.

Says they verify my identity using facebook but what constitutes a real facebook identity? I could go on fiverr and get 5k friends, add a few pics from google images? We'll see what happens.

• I used my real FB account. I'll update you guys if my chunk will get activated after 24 hours.

• @NickM said: fake facebook

Mine's real, still rejected.

• @nunim said: Same deal for me, so they harvested my email for nothing :o Glad I made a new facebook for this.

You can delete app from facebook and account still active on ChunkHost

• Not working for me "at full capacity"

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

Sweet, got one first try and it's not bad. Here's the LEB bench stats:

[root@AsadHaider ~]# sh bench.sh
    CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5310 @ 1.60GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency : 1600.106 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 112 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 3 min,
    Download speed : (7.63MB/s)
    I/O speed : 26.1MB/s

Reposted this at my universities computing society forum, already got a couple of signups.

• Used real Facebook, referred some people, tada! VPS not working anymore, can't login.

• I got "at full capacity" too. when I click on "Chunks" in the navbar to list servers associated with my (new) account it shows "pending-machine".

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited September 2012

i have their free vps for about 1 month, you should use your real facebook account (tried afew times with my gaming account, no luck..)

i think they look your fb account, infos, and decide if their capacity is full or not..

their uptime is good...

• @craigb said: I got "at full capacity" too. when I click on "Chunks" in the navbar to list servers associated with my (new) account it shows "pending-machine".

Well, if you are in pending-machine, good luck getting one. Also, don't waste your time, after you get some referrals on it, they block you.

Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

I've got 5 referrals but my "chunk" is still showing as having 128MB RAM. Has anyone managed to get the extra RAM from referrals applied?

How about you @NickM?

• Just signed up with an fb account that I use once or twice a year, all good.

• kkasbergkkasberg Member
    edited September 2012

I signed up, and within 15 minutes I had an account. The IO looks pretty poor. Still, you can't complain for a free VPS.

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5310 @ 1.60GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency : 1600.106 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 118 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 22 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 3.19MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 1.54MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 1.64MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 822KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 680KB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 476KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 373KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 2.32MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 4.22MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 1.00MB/s
    I/O speed : 28.2 MB/s

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited September 2012

@AsadHaider they dont offer extra ram for referals as far as i know

• @tridinebandim said: @AsadHaider they dont offer extra ram for referals as far as i know

Really? I emailed their support about it, Nick mentioned it in his post that you get 64MB RAM for each person you refer. I guess it's only referrals who sign up to a paid plan, you get paid out.

@NickM said: I'll receive an extra 64MB of RAM for each person who signs up using the referral link.

• edited September 2012

@liam said: what if you don't have facebook?

This is what I was wondering.

I deleted my Facebook a while back. =[

• I tried signing up for Chunkhost quite awhile ago, during their 'beta'. They said the beta was coming to an end, and I would need to pay to continue using my 'chunk'.

I didn't pay, so the 'chunk' was cancelled. I noticed they were still having 'beta' months later.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @Damian said: I didn't pay, so the 'chunk' was cancelled. I noticed they were still having 'beta' months later.

its a marketing tactic :) i guess

• I got mine after half an hour, used Nick's referral link :)

• edited September 2012

ChunkHost is down now?

Nevermind

• Not sure about the name, reminds me of:

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • @MannDude: their site loads for me.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Damian said: I tried signing up for Chunkhost quite awhile ago, during their 'beta'. They said the beta was coming to an end, and I would need to pay to continue using my 'chunk'.

I didn't pay, so the 'chunk' was cancelled. I noticed they were still having 'beta' months later.

@tridinebandim said: i think they look your fb account, infos, and decide if their capacity is full or not..

These kind of things are what make me seriously consider to not ever do any kind of business with them.