Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any decent Windows 2012 plans out there - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any decent Windows 2012 plans out there

13»

Comments

• DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2015

I know you've already picked something, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned OVH's RunAbove -- the $2.50 medium sandbox instance (Canada or France, 2GB RAM/20GB SSD/1TB transfer) is perfect for this sort of thing. Trial license, obviously.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I finally got the VPS configured and running but it looks like I should have gone with the 2GB plan instead. Oh well, I'll make it work. :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

KuJoe said: I finally got the VPS configured and running but it looks like I should have gone with the 2GB plan instead. Oh well, I'll make it work. :)

Which version of Windows are you running?

@Nekki Server 2012 R2 Standard

• NekkiNekki Veteran

KuJoe said: @Nekki Server 2012 R2 Standard

Seems to be running fine for me with 1GB RAM, pretty snappy.

It's usable, but I don't have much room left RAM-wise for what I plan to install.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

KuJoe said: It's usable, but I don't have much room left RAM-wise for what I plan to install.

I must confess, I haven't looked much at what resource consumption is like. I'll check that out later, but essentially I'm only going to be running IIS + MySQL, so the footprint shouldn't be too heavy.

• @Clancoms said:
    i have windows 2008R2 and 2012 full license not a trial license, hosted in Las Vegas on proxmox for under $9.00 month if it helps 4CPU core and 2028 Ram 60GB drive

Clancoms, I PM'd you with a link to another offer thread, but this deal would work for me too. I need a VPS with a licensed Windows 2012 and 2GB of RAM. I'm not picky about geo or HDD, but I prefer a non-oversold box. The Winity node I'm on runs like molasses -- that is, SUPER slow. I hope to hear from you soon.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe said:
    I finally got the VPS configured and running but it looks like I should have gone with the 2GB plan instead. Oh well, I'll make it work. :)

I'm sure @AnthonySmith can upgrade your plan. :)
    Using it as a remote desktop with only 1 Gb ram requires some tweaking.
    My UK one only has 1 GB and I'm using somewhere around 600-700 mb.

Disable a bunch of services and never use chrome.

@Nekki said:
    essentially I'm only going to be running IIS + MySQL, so the footprint shouldn't be too heavy.

Remove the GUI, should free up some extra ram.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

mikho said: Remove the GUI, should free up some extra ram.

Defeats the point of having the server in the first place. I have to know how to use the GUI because the people I'm going to train up will HAVE to use the GUI.

• sc754sc754 Member

@Nekki said:
    Time marches on, and at work we're slowing moving to Windows 2012 on our new servers, so I need to get up to speed.

Are there any half-decent providers offering Windows 2012 plan, inc license? I'd only need this for a short time for testing/learning, so a trial license is fine. Location doesn't really matter too much, anywhere in Europe or Canada/east-coast US would be ideal. Minimal bandwidth required, other specs just need to be the minimum to run Win2012 at a decent clip.

Runabove? I think you can get a 2GB one for like $5 a month incl licence

• komputerkingkomputerking Member, Host Rep

Let me know if you still need something. Over at ftpit.com, one of our templates is the Windows Server 2012 R2 Trial (180 days), so you can just deploy that and try it out

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Cheers both, but I'm sorted. I'll bear Runabove in mind incase I ever want a permanent Windows VPS, but I can't imagine I'd touch it out of personal choice.

• ReeRee Member

@sc754 said:
    Runabove? I think you can get a 2GB one for like $5 a month incl licence

No license AFAIK