Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any decent Windows 2012 plans out there - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any decent Windows 2012 plans out there

Comments

• @wych said:
    Fixed.

Please stop spamming! This is not a LowEnd Affiliate network forum.

• CrabCrab Member

I have had the biggest winity plan for a year now. Zero issues, very stable.

• wychwych Member

@alexvolk said:
    Please stop spamming! This is not a LowEnd Affiliate network forum.

Sure thing.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Well, would you look at that, @hostingboss got banned!

• @Nekki said:
    Well, would you look at that, hostingboss got banned!

shhh. you're gonna get ddosd

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Nekki who did you end up going with? I'm in need of a Windows VPS also so whoever you pick I'll probably grab one also so I don't have to spend time shopping and second guessing myself. :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Jonchun said:
    shhh. you're gonna get ddosd

Fortunately, I have nothing to DDoS.

@KuJoe said:
    Nekki who did you end up going with? I'm in need of a Windows VPS also so whoever you pick I'll probably grab one also so I don't have to spend time shopping and second guessing myself. :)

I haven't sorted it yet due to work being an absolute bitch, but I'll let you know when I've picked something up.

• @Nekki said:

I'd love to know what issues you've had with Oktay. I always recommend his services to everyone.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@David_P said:
    I'd love to know what issues you've had with Oktay. I always recommend his services to everyone.

Just a disagreement over how he advertised his services, a personal thing.

Thanked by 1Davidx
  • Check out our offering here: https://www.stablebox.com/cloud-servers-virtual-private-servers/

Server 2012 R2 Standard fully licensed is included in the monthly cost and the VM is deployed on E5 V2's and SSD's to ensure good performance.

Let us know if you have any questions.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Well, this is embarrassing.

I plumped for an Inception Hosting plan, on the basis that @AnthonySmith provides great support, I know from experience he looks after his nodes, and that I wanted something in the UK. I ended up buying this one:

4 CPU cores
    1GB RAM
    1GB swap
    55GB disk space
    1.25TB bandwidth
    100Mbit uplink
    1 x IPv4 address
    5 x IPv6 address
    XenPV/SolusVM
    Coupon: ukhvm1024
    €4.95/month
    https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=59

@Kujoe assuming you want something in the US, I'd have look at this one:

4 CPU cores
    2GB RAM
    45GB disk space
    1TB bandwidth
    1Gbit Port
    1 x IPv4
    5 x IPv6
    XenHVM/SolusVM
    Coupon: 7I8MNSUCC9
    €5/month
    https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=89

Anyway; I ordered this last night, but left it there. Today I've logged in and seen two identical plans; I already had exactly the same plan, but had been running a Debian desktop on in :-0. Moral of the story, check your VPS inventory before seeing if you need to buy something else.

So, Windows 2012 installed, runs just as well as the machines I use at work, so all good. I may well turn the old Debian desktop into a Windows 2008 machine now, as I could always use a test machine on that too.

Thanked by 2mikho perennate
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

haha, if you want me to refund it and cancel it just let me know.

Thanked by 1mikho

Thanks @Nekki, I'm shopping around for a Windows 2008 R2 license now so if I find one I'll order the Miami plan that you linked to. :)

@Nekki I ended up getting the 1GB plan instead for a few bucks cheaper since I only need it as a jump box. Going to get 2012 installed shortly. :)

@AnthonySmith I can't believe it took me this long to finally order a VPS from you. :P

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Nekki
    @Kujoe

I'm more then happy with the performance I get.
    My only "concern" is the latency between myself and Miami but that is what it is.

dont forget to install the xen drivers :)

if it is just fot internal use and testing msdn should br fine license wise, I have full msdn if you get stuck @KuJoe

Thanked by 1KuJoe

I got my DreamSpark account reactivated so I have some 2008 and 2012 keys to play with. I'm going to use the trial for now just to see if 2012 is worth using (I use it at work and absolutely hate Metro).

I hate it so much I will be going from Windows 7 to 10 with hololense :)

Thanked by 1ATHK
    edited March 2015

Why don't you guys uninstall the GUI and go "hardcore"? Huh, I double dare you @AnthonySmith and @Kujoe. :)

declined.

edited March 2015

You could always run it with the desktop and a start-menu like old fashioned Windows.

I've used Server Core in the past but I need the GUI since I'll be using it as a jump box. I'll be removing the Metro interface as soon as I get it on the network.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited March 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    haha, if you want me to refund it and cancel it just let me know.

Nah, no need, I have a use for both, I just feel silly that I needed to ask the forum when I not only knew of, but had the actual plan.

@mikho said:

My only "concern" is the latency between myself and Miami but that is what it is.

Early indications even pre Xen drivers were good, but with them installed it absolutely flew over RDP. I now need to setup and tune the shit of IIS.

Yeah it is the equivalent of vmware tools basic qemu/ide driver vs pv on hvm/vmware tools.

that reminds me (again) that I emptied the Miami server for a reinstall but never got around to actually reinstall it.....

Where do I find these Xen drivers exactly? :)

• leckleyleckley Member
    edited March 2015

@Nekki - somehow your response didn't show, you beat me to it!

• ClancomsClancoms Member
    edited March 2015

i have windows 2008R2 and 2012 full license not a trial license, hosted in Las Vegas on proxmox for under $9.00 month if it helps 4CPU core and 2028 Ram 60GB drive

• @mikho said:
    Nekki
    Kujoe

This is the only reason I don't have tons of VPSes. If it wasn't for the latency between here and the US, I would buy loads since there is always lots of cheap boxes available.

Someone needs to invent something faster than the speed of light already.