Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it ok to use fake contact info? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it ok to use fake contact info?

12346»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2015

MannDude said: phone chat.

Yes, jabber.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Maounique said: Yes, jabber.

You mean instant messaging on your phone?

@Nekki said:
    You mean instant messaging on your phone?

His, I am now home, but before I also used the phone.

• vijaivijai Member
    edited March 2015

@WebProject said:
    I heard only Indian call centers are sharing the customer details, what do you expect? if they work for 50 cents per day.

I consider that a serious racism. You don't read news about banks getting hacked because they are trying to cover up their mess. I know a lot of banks which got hacked. I have friends who develop and maintain the online banking division of some of the bigshots in U.S. like Citi bank and they do get hacked Indeed. There is always a hacker waiting for you commit a mistake. You cannot blindly believe in something and expect it to work fool proof. And for your kind information, indian call centers run American Business. Lot of people who work there are poor graduates who studied engineering and science and couldn't get a job due to the rising unemployment. The client base they do have is provided by the marketing team of the company that hired them to spam away. Blaming Indian Call centers are the "only" people sharing their customer details is total bullshit. Google does it on a day to day basis.. Why don't you go furious on them and ask them not to crawl into any of your sites?

Everybody has a different definition of privacy.

• vijai said: Google does it on a day to day basis.. Why don't you go furious on them and ask them not to crawl into any of your sites?

No need to go furious, there is a very well documented and easy method to ask them nicely to not crawl your sites, and they will comply - it's called robots.txt
    Not sure why google got dragged in this though.

• vijaivijai Member

@rds100 said:

Bringing in google was not really required. I agree.I apologize for that . I am furious indeed. Because the answer to most of the discussions (online in general) seem to be "Let's blame India . . ." That's what got me...
    Nothing more.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • If I'm paying with paypal, Unless you intend to send me a Birthday Card, why you want my Name, Address and Birthday

Especially as there is no delivery of a product or service.
    To pay by credit card, ok, because the whole Credit Card system is weak.
    But to pay by paypal, the user must authorize it in paypal.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@john564 said:

Especially as there is no delivery of a product or service.

Why would you need to pay with paypal if there is no delivery of a product or service.

• @mikho said:
    Why would you need to pay with paypal if there is no delivery of a product or service.

When you purchase a low end VPS, there is no physical delivery, only granting access to a VPS.
    Why anyone want Name, Address, DOB, Mother Maiden name, etc..

@john564 said:
    When you purchase a low end VPS, there is no physical delivery, only granting access to a VPS. Why anyone want Name, Address, DOB, Mother Maiden name, etc..

When receiving that access to your RENTED vps you are in a contract with the provider, thats why they need your information. Do you expec that a car rental service would grant you service if they knew you provided fake information?

Thanked by 1wych
  • You can do it.
    But then times should be a problem (with eg. domains), you have no guarantee that this can be solved.

edited March 2015

Ugh, right, because fraudsters only exist in India. Most carders and people breaking iinto accounts are from Russia/kazahstan/ukraine, etc. Also, many from US. India has 1/5 of the world population, there is a guarantee there are some crooks among them.

Besides, many countries today are becoming racist. UK is even racist against other europeans, not to mention Indians.

• GienGien Member
    edited March 2015

Im not disputing any law.

But yes, why do i have to give my entire personal information to anyone?

If i buy a piece of bread i pay and thats it, at most they have my bankaccount number /OR/ creditcard number. There is no need for any further information.

Same goes for buy for example powertools, but why does someone over the internet just needs to fill in his entire personal information to anyone, just because i want to buy something. Atleast when buying something at a shop i see the person who sells it to me. I get a receipt which i can use to claim warranty. And ONLY if i need the warranty i need to fill in aditional information. So why does any webhost need my real name, adres, phonenumber, email adres etc.. they sell me a package, i pay thats it. If i do something that is against tos terminate me, if i do something illegal, then when the authority's come give them my payment info, ip adres and that should be enough. No need for all that additional information.

Cause if i used fraudulent payment information to start with, i in hell wouldn't use my real name.

You dont ship me anything, then you dont need my adres.

You want my money, then my payment details should be enough.

And yes i totally agree with @Maounique

If the person in the supermarket doesn't know my name (and why whould they) why should some random webhost have it.

And i'm much closer to my supermarket lady then any webhost.

Also im in favor of using a different name, email, (you can add additional email to paypal) payment info and providing real adres but fake adres data (the adres exists etc..)

We all think giving away this info is normal, but it isn't. As long as the data is stored online (offline also but less likely) it can be hacked. Call me stupid but im not ready to be the next victim of identity theft

@mikho as long as my creditcard is good they dont care. Personal experience. Most require a copy of your drivers license, which is reasonable as you need a valid license to drive, but i always black out my license id, and certain key parts, such as but not limited to my personalservicenumber. (in usa called socialsecuritynumber)

• pradeep said: I have separate hosting and domains from czech republic. Is it ok to use fake info?

No.

edited March 2015

Gien said: Atleast when buying something at a shop i see the person who sells it to me.

Yes, and that person can ask your ID to check if the card you use is indeed yours. That cannot work over the internet, there are people asking for IDs, but those are easy to fake online, you dont even need to be a pro, just not overly stupid.
    There are now laws that require providers to prove location of their customers for taxation purposes. You cannot tell the taxman good ole Abe Lincoln from Trinidad and Tobago uses a romanian IP to order and pays with bitcoin, but is surely legit because he says so, and everyone should trust Abe Lincoln.

• SMatSMat Member

It is always better to have your real info when it comes to domains.
    If you dont it can be counted as ilegal and your domain ownership might be revoqued.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Not reading all 4 pages but based on the OP.

No it is not OK to use fake details, no one however can stop you from doing that, at the same time though if the details are discovered to be fake do not act all surprised and upset if your service is then removed without refund especially if you agreed to provide real and accurate information prior to payment.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • GienGien Member

Maounique said: Yes, and that
    person can ask your ID to check if the card you use is indeed yours. That cannot work
    over the internet, there are people asking for IDs, but those are easy to fake online, you
    dont even need to be a pro, just not overly stupid.

That might be the case in the usa, where they use creditcards like there bankcards. (and where an old carbon copy with signature is still enough)

But when using my bankcard, i have never been asked to verify my identity. Same with creditcard btw, but i havent got that one as long..

As far as domains go, i use my real name or corperate identity. Depending on the purpose.

@Gien said:
    Im not disputing any law.

But yes, why do i have to give my entire personal information to anyone?

If i buy a piece of bread i pay and thats it, at most they have my bankaccount number /OR/ creditcard number. There is no need for any further information.

Same goes for buy for example powertools, but why does someone over the internet just needs to fill in his entire personal information to anyone, just because i want to buy something. Atleast when buying something at a shop i see the person who sells it to me. I get a receipt which i can use to claim warranty. And ONLY if i need the warranty i need to fill in aditional information. So why does any webhost need my real name, adres, phonenumber, email adres etc.. they sell me a package, i pay thats it. If i do something that is against tos terminate me, if i do something illegal, then when the authority's come give them my payment info, ip adres and that should be enough. No need for all that additional information.

Cause if i used fraudulent payment information to start with, i in hell wouldn't use my real name.

You dont ship me anything, then you dont need my adres.

You want my money, then my payment details should be enough.

And yes i totally agree with Maounique

If the person in the supermarket doesn't know my name (and why whould they) why should some random webhost have it.

And i'm much closer to my supermarket lady then any webhost.

Also im in favor of using a different name, email, (you can add additional email to paypal) payment info and providing real adres but fake adres data (the adres exists etc..)

We all think giving away this info is normal, but it isn't. As long as the data is stored online (offline also but less likely) it can be hacked. Call me stupid but im not ready to be the next victim of identity theft

mikho as long as my creditcard is good they dont care. Personal experience. Most require a copy of your drivers license, which is reasonable as you need a valid license to drive, but i always black out my license id, and certain key parts, such as but not limited to my personalservicenumber. (in usa called socialsecuritynumber)

You are comparing web hosting to buy a loaf of bread, which is in terms correct but at the same time nothing alike.

When buying web hosting you are entering a contract to rent space/bandwidth etc for a limited time, like when you rent a movie at the store or rent a car.

Both the video store snd car rental office want your personal information so that they would know who uses their products. Same thing goes for VPS/shared hosting providers.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Gien said: But when using my bankcard, i have never been asked to verify my identity

You dont have to enter a pin number?