Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it ok to use fake contact info?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it ok to use fake contact info?

I have separate hosting and domains from czech republic. Is it ok to use fake info?

Comments

• No.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

no

• No

• wychwych Member

No.

• ATHKATHK Member

Yea... NO.

• No

• Thanks, I thought so. I do this though everytime I cancel accounts and move to a different provider. (Just to keep my details safe)

• Ask @tr1cky lol...

Thanked by 2TheKiller paily
  • I personally dont see it as an issue with things such as age as people from the start have always done this - however important information such as name, email address and so on should be filled correctly at all times

Hope that helps

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Depends on where you are. It is even legal where I live, as long as you don't do it for fraud. :)

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • Yes, it definitely is okay.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Does you bank let you withdraw money with a ski mask on and a library card?

• kbkkkbkk Member

I use fake data 90% of the time, no problems at all.

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • IceCream said: Yes, it definitely is okay.

kbkk said:

I use fake data 90% of the time, no problems at all.

I hope thats sarcasm.

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

KuJoe said: Does you bank let you withdraw money with a ski mask on and a library card?

It lets me deposit money with a ski mask on and a library card

• Seeing how extremely lously many businesses treated and took care of my data I seriously regret having been honest all the time.

• I don't advocate using "fake" contact info.

I do however, suggest using the minimum information necessary to complete the transaction and DEFINITELY use a UNIQUE email address for EVERY host.

Makes it easy to determine who sold your info or had their database compromised and makes it easy to block the ensuing SPAM. (It also quite informative after acquisitions/takeovers/buyouts to see who respects your requests not to be spammed, and who does not ... the "Winning" guy from this forum, in particular should know what I mean).

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Heck, there are a number of companies who are represented here who assign fake names to their 'employees'. It's no surprise customers do it too.

Is it shitty? Yes. Does it happen? Yes.

Thanked by 3geekalot chrisp george
  • @MannDude said:
    Heck, there are a number of companies who are represented here who assign fake names to their 'employees'. It's no surprise customers do it too.

Is it shitty? Yes. Does it happen? Yes.

Fake names to employees? As in giving American names to outsourced employees? Or giving multiple personas to a single employee?

(I'm just curious. I see the former happening pretty often)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@4n0nx said:
    It lets me deposit money with a ski mask on and a library card

That's also a good way to get arrested.

edited March 2015

Jonchun said: Fake names to employees? As in giving American names to outsourced employees? Or giving multiple personas to a single employee?

Both.

Some have hired people who have their own companies repped here, will hire them and assign them some other name so people don't catch on.

Others have used a fake name and pretended to be someone else for years, pretended to be living in a different area of the world for a long time while working for a company who knew about it.

Some hire outsourced companys. Praveen turns into 'Bobby', even though he still can't type a proper sentence.

Others have press releases saying they've hired someone new, but that someone 'new' is just an old employee, who was going by a fake name, who is really some other teenage skid who ran a host...

Lot of dishonesty all around.

And of course, you have idiot customers who do this too. They're often horrible clients to have as they hide behind fake details and abuse your service and leave when the next bill comes. Not all, but most.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

trewq said: That's also a good way to get arrested.

Maybe in America. :)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@4n0nx said:
    Maybe in America. :)

And Australia and basically every country that actually cares about its citizens...

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

trewq said: And Australia and basically every country that actually cares about its citizens...

bullshit

Thanked by 3chrisp Makenai Mark_R
  • @4n0nx said:
    bullshit

If you did that in the UK as-well they would probably push the red alarm button which alerts the police.

If I wear a hoody the first thing I do when going into a shop, bank, doctors etc, is take the hood down, so they can see my face and know I'm not a bad guy.

The only way in the UK you can hide your face in a bank, shop etc is if it's part of your religion.

• Using fake information would be in violation of the ICANN agreement that you have with the registrar, and by doing so (for domains) you can have your registration revoked and receive penalties. Additionally, the same goes for your hosting provider. As a provider, we require that all information on file be up to date and accurate.

• ChuckChuck Member

Question:

How do you pay if you use "fake" contact info?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Chuck said: How do you pay if you use "fake" contact info?

There are ways.
    I am still using fake info. This makes sure real data is not leaked.
    Prometeus even does not have my real data in the database and Uncle never met me, nor did we speak on phone.
    I pay good money to have a company represent me. A proper warrant will yield all my data from paypal transactions linked to my bank accounts, but a regular kid will not be able to get it.
    All the people here paid me money in fake data accounts, when we did some transactions or I paid them using the same method.
    Is it OK? It depends. I know it means termination if this is discovered, but the liabilities will end there because I never breach ToS/AUP, AFAIK I was never hacked, nor doing illegal things. If you do it to conceal your identity because you are doing illegal things, trust me, it will not work if the police is really after you, unless you are a master criminal, but in that case you do not need to pay any money for VPSes.

Thanked by 2Chuck lifehome
  • AutoSnipeAutoSnipe Member
    edited March 2015

Licensecart said: and know I'm not a bad guy

Well, back in the town i'm from i was in a rush and a half (had to catch a plane in ~20 minutes.. so rocked up to the bank on my motorbike, parked it out front.. ran in.. and next thing i knew the whole place got locked down.. turns out.. running into a bank with a motor bike helmet on heading straight for the counter is NOT a good idea.. needless to say, i missed the plane.. got held at the police station for a few hours.. before they let me go..

But back on topic.. Had an order from a chap using these details

Needless to say, no Service was provisioned.

Thanked by 2Licensecart Makenai

Maounique said: There are ways.

I am still using fake info. This makes sure real data is not leaked.
    Prometeus even does not have my real data in the database and Uncle never met me, nor did we speak on phone.
    I pay good money to have a company represent me. A proper warrant will yield all my data from paypal transactions linked to my bank accounts, but a regular kid will not be able to get it.
    All the people here paid me money in fake data accounts, when we did some transactions or I paid them using the same method.
    Is it OK? It depends. I know it means termination if this is discovered, but the liabilities will end there because I never breach ToS/AUP, AFAIK I was never hacked, nor doing illegal things. If you do it to conceal your identity because you are doing illegal things, trust me, it will not work if the police is really after you, unless you are a master criminal, but in that case you do not need to pay any money for VPSes.

Do you allow customers to order with fake details, assuming they don't break the TOS?

Can I order from a VPN/TOR and a fake name, for the sake of my privacy?

I know you and Sal run a tight ship and offer a solid service and I know we've personally had our differences in the past but it is a bit worrisome to me that even your employer doesn't even know who you are and I think others should feel the same.