Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody know the secret handshake to get a VPS from GoodHosting? What are you best and worst times? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody know the secret handshake to get a VPS from GoodHosting? What are you best and worst times?

2»

Comments

• NomadNomad Member

Some claim it's the golden years of a man. Treasure it. :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Looks like running dd renders my VPS inoperable (power off and power on fixes it again). Guess I can't have a swap file. :(

• I'm confused. On the one hand there is a friendly, competent guy most would agree to like. On the other hand there is a totally ignorant a--hole not giving a damn and not caring either (it seems). Kind of Jeykill and Hide.

I don't mean this evil, honestly, but I'm under the impression there is some kind of serious psychological problem.

Again there is by no means any evil intention in saying that. Just astonishment and yes, even sympathy albeit with the guy, not with the provider.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

@bsdguy I noticed the same thing. I'm wondering if there are two people in play here, one is just the face of the company while the other struggles to make it barely work.

• @KuJoe goodhosting is a voice in the desert. I can go on for a few minutes explaining how slow their support is and how buggy their opennebula can get, but I'll just suggest you ask for a refund right away, because that too will take another 2 months to complete. Roughly.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bsdguy said: I don't mean this evil, honestly, but I'm under the impression there is some kind of serious psychological problem.

What is it about VPS hosting companies that attracts people with mental disorders? Seriously. For every decent provider there's one who's complete erratic. I assume because it costs little to enter the market, you get all types.

If I had to guess, I think Mr. GoodHosting has discovered that running a hosting company with razor-thin lowend margins gets very old very quickly. It must suck to have sunk so much time into it and realize the peanuts you're making do not justify the time (if he is indeed making a profit).

People do spreadsheets saying "I can sell $2/mo VPSes and make a profit!" but forget that if you could make more working at McDonald's, it's not worth the effort and risk. Making $X per month is fine unless you do the math and it works out to 50 cents an hour...and that the pennies per profit you're making on your servers are not going to fund expansion to reach the semi-mythical escape velocity of full-time riches.

I could be wrong...really just guessing, but that's my guess based on having seen that story many, many times.

Thanked by 2k0nsl gsrdgrdghd
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2015

bsdguy said: I'm confused. On the one hand there is a friendly, competent guy most would agree to like.

I'm gonna have to disagree on the friendly part. He comes across as disingenuous and condescending to me.

I'm also convinced he's not as technically competent as it seems -- a lot of the more knowledgeable posts he makes are just a bit too textbook, as if he looked something up and then slightly reworded it.

• souensouen Member

@KuJoe said:
    Hmmm, it looks like my VPS was deployed in Chicago. It would have been nice if the client got to pick which location their VPS was deployed to.

I asked about location before ordering and was instructed to include the desired location in the notes field on the order form.

• If you need a VPS from GoodHosting, talk to me. I'll get you sorted :)

Thanked by 1RackNode
  • @Dylan

I'm not a client of GH and such my impression is largely based on what I see here. I also didn't do a job interview or tests with him.

From what I saw here, he made a friendly, reflected, and competent impression. That's why I'm bewildered by his "other side".

Either way I take this as a tough to judge case because it seems to me that psychological problems are involved. So I'm very reluctant to judge him hard like an evil guy. On the other hand though one can't ignore the results either.

In summary, my personal position is to like the person but to avoid the provider.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:
    What is it about VPS hosting companies that attracts people with mental disorders? Seriously. For every decent provider there's one who's complete erratic. I assume because it costs little to enter the market, you get all types.

Look at all the benefits; working from home, not a single soul that bosses yiu around, work when you see fit.
    The list goes on with benefits, you don't have to work that much either since money comes rolling in every month. :)

In my line of work I meet many new faces who are either self-claimed or appointed IT-professionals. 99% of them are not or they wouldn't need to hire me.