Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody know the secret handshake to get a VPS from GoodHosting? What are you best and worst times?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody know the secret handshake to get a VPS from GoodHosting? What are you best and worst times?

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I know the setup time ranges from 72 hours to X months, but I'm sure there's got to be a way to get a VPS from them within a day or two, so what's the secret? Basically at what time should I start to grow concerned? Some threads have said 72 hours is par for the course, other threads say they've waited months for their VPS, so what's your experience with them?

What's the shortest and longest you've had to wait for your GoodHosting VPS after you'd paid for it?

And I'll post it first to save some of you the trouble: "Canadian Holiday" ;)

Thanked by 2mpkossen mikho

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I would also like to point out that my complaint isn't with their deployment times. My complaint is that when you place the order you get a ticket saying your VPS has been delivered when it has not and their website or ads make no mention of when you might get your VPS so

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • I've seen people mentioning calling him through google hangouts

• Wait until you have a machine. Then you get to figure out how to use it with OpenNebula.

• J1021J1021 Member

@KuJoe how long have you already been awaiting? Exceptionally long waiting times without any word from the host should send you running. What will you do when something goes wrong with your container/VM and you need assistance from your host and they're nowhere to be seen?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @kcaj said:
    What will you do when something goes wrong with your container/VM

We wait till they come back from holiday break of course :)

Thanked by 3KuJoe TheKiller Pwner
  • why even bother with this company anymore? are there any unique aspects of it that make it worth the risk of a) it never being setup b) the admin not being around for days/weeks if there is an issue/outage.

@kcaj said:
    KuJoe how long have you already been awaiting? Exceptionally long waiting times without any word from the host should send you running. What will you do when something goes wrong with your container/VM and you need assistance from your host and they're nowhere to be seen?

It's been less than 48 hours so far and I wasn't going to host anything critical on it so if it disappears I won't lose sleep over it. It's mainly a test bed for a project I'm working on and I'll have the data replicated (I already bought 2 other VPSs to sync with).

@JoeMerit said:
    why even bother with this company anymore? are there any unique aspects of it that make it worth the risk of a) it never being setup b) the admin not being around for days/weeks if there is an issue/outage.

The unmetered gigabit port was what drew me to it since I don't want overages or suspensions to impact my testing since I will be syncing large amounts of test data between 3 VPSs and might even use a few TB a month. For production I have some dedicated servers with unmetered ports to use but for dev I needed some cheap boxes with a lot of bandwidth.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Last thread was about a node outage? Or was it "only" a few servers? Can't remember but there has been no reply to those tickets IIRC. Even though the server is back online after a google call.

Whatever you do, don't hold your breath.

• NomadNomad Member

I'll give you a hint:

+

x3

• My GH VPS is working fine (now). I'm using it because of OpenNebula and I don't know any other provider who uses it.

• @IceCream said:
    My GH VPS is working fine (now). I'm using it because of OpenNebula and I don't know any other provider who uses it.

Me too, I love OpenNebula, and don't know why people hate it.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@comXyz said:
    Me too, I love OpenNebula, and don't know why people hate it.

Because people don't take the time to actually learn how to use it.

My GoodHosting VPS was provisioned in about two hours after ordering.

Thanked by 2comXyz Mark_R
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nomad said: I'll give you a hint:

That warms my 80s retro heart. Nicely done.

Thanked by 2Nomad Maximum_VPS
  • souensouen Member

13 h. Order was placed around 3:30 pm PST. There's a welcome email that said provisioning can take up to 72 h, but by chance I logged into the client area the next day and found a ticket saying the vps had been provisioned with the details (didn't receive email notification).

A BHS node was down a few days ago (back on the 5th) so maybe he was busy sorting that?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

raindog308 said: That warms my 80s retro heart. Nicely done.

I have an 80's retro heart but i have no idea what is that about.

Maounique said: I have an 80's retro heart but i have no idea what is that about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beetlejuice

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Ah, i saw it, but i was not getting the idea from the pictures, i saw a bug and some orange juice. It is obviously too late in the night for me :)

Thanked by 2netomx Dylan
  • @KuJoe It goes something like this.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish J1021

I woke up and found an e-mail in my inbox saying my VPS was provisioned. :)

Still would be nice if they got rid of the false notification and advertised some deployment time estimates somewhere on their site or order form.

• ATHKATHK Member

@KuJoe said:
    I woke up and found an e-mail in my inbox saying my VPS was provisioned. :)

Still would be nice if they got rid of the false notification and advertised some deployment time estimates somewhere on their site or order form.

Dreaming, still has 24 hour support listed on the site which is an outright lie..

The boxes are great, if something goes wrong don't expect answers to your ticket, LET posts / PMs, Skype or phone calls.. or even when it's been fixed...

@ATHK said:
    The boxes are great, if something goes wrong don't expect answers to your ticket, LET posts / PMs, Skype or phone calls.. or even when it's been fixed...

Yeah, it's a shame it's not usable for production but luckily they aren't charging outrageous prices so it's a trade-off.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

So basically its the same as Kimsufi? It works until something vent wrong and when it does your are fucked.

Thanked by 1Maounique
    edited March 2015

Hmmm, it looks like my VPS was deployed in Chicago. It would have been nice if the client got to pick which location their VPS was deployed to.

Yay! Broken links to OpenNebula in their provisioned ticket. :(

• @KuJoe do you need the proper URL? I can message it to you, assuming they put you on the new chicago deployment

Thanked by 1KuJoe
    edited March 2015

@mikeyur said:
    KuJoe do you need the proper URL? I can message it to you, assuming they put you on the new chicago deployment

Thanks but luckily they included an "alternate link" which worked. :)

Off to a rough start so far with lots of errors in OpenNebula only allowing me to use half of the resources I ordered. After closing my browser and reopening it I was greeted with a lot of Javascript prompts with errors and once I closed them I was able to deploy a VPS correctly.

• @KuJoe yeah. I'm not a fan of it. Also, this is my Chi2 experience so far: http://i.sprk.co/150307-1419-azj3p.png

If the console doesn't work, then try switching to the https or non-https version (opposite of whatever one you're currently on). For some reason I had issues. Also if you're using debian, openssh requires a 'apt-get install ... --reinstall' for some reason - something with the template it broken.

edited March 2015

EDIT: @mikeyur Thanks! You beat me to it. Switching to HTTPS fixed most of the issues. Would have been nice if they mentioned that.

• NomadNomad Member
    edited March 2015

@Maounique said:
    Ah, i saw it, but i was not getting the idea from the pictures, i saw a bug and some orange juice. It is obviously too late in the night for me :)

You should check this out then. Maybe it'll ring a bell.

@Raindog308, congrats. Maybe the first to notice amongst a bunch that'll ever...

Nomad said: Maybe the first to notice amongst a bunch that'll ever...

What's my prize? Middle age. :-)