Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex Server Config - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex Server Config

2»

Comments

• I have a dedi that's a core 2 duo.

2gb ram and comes with a 250gb hdd. UK based. £18/mo.

• MunMun Member

@camjac251 said:

Get a dedicated from wholesaleinternet or datashack.

You could also try incerno, but I think they would be a little out of budget.

• Anyone here use Mediabrowser in place of Plex?

I quite like it, although do need to get a more powerful box to run it on as at the moment transcoding 720p works but 1080p brings it to to it's knees (J1900 based board)

• NomadNomad Member

I just tried Media Browser a few hour ago with an 8 core DO droplet.
    It was hurting the CPU and I was having some lags whereas I was able to run it smoothly on Plex...

• I'm hoping the work that some people are doing to enable support of quicksync/nvenc with mediabrowser goes well and is accepted into it.

They're both pretty good platforms so it's whichever you prefer.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@camjac251 If you really want to do this for the lowest possible price, you need to understand your use cases, i.e.

• How many simultaneous streams you expect to have;
    • How many different devices you'll be streaming to;
    • The types of files you'll be streaming (i.e. .mp4, .avi etc)
    • The quality of the files you'll be streaming (i.e. 1080p, 720p, standard-def)
    • Whether the files have subtitles, and if they do, whether they're soft or hard subbed

For example, if you're only streaming 720p mp4 files via the browser for yourself, you can get away with a VPS with 512MB RAM and access to a reasonably decent CPU core, plus the requisite storage from wherever.

• Nomad said: I just tried Media Browser a few hour ago with an 8 core DO droplet. It was hurting the CPU and I was having some lags whereas I was able to run it smoothly on Plex...

Likely DO are throttling CPU, i can easily run it fine on a Overclocked Pentium G3258 (@4.5Ghz)

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited March 2015

@TarZZ92 said:

https://www.digitalocean.com/help/technical/general/

What is the CPU speed of my droplet?

We use server-grade Intel Hexcore processors between 2.0 GHz and 3.0 GHz. To view the clock speed and other details of the CPU on the hypervisor you are assigned, run this command on the command line: cat /proc/cpuinfo

I generally get 2.0 GHZ min and have had 3.0 GHZ before, never lower or higher for any container.

• admin you can close this thread

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Closed as requested

This discussion has been closed.