Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many openVZ vps on a server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many openVZ vps on a server?

2»

Comments

• earlearl Member

@Kenshin said: True. But who would work for you for $166/month? Again that person would be better flipping burgers

There is all sorts of services offered on WHT, from server management to ticket support, I'm not talking about hiring full time employees when you only have two server.. you can pay per incident/ticket.

I'm gathering that these support crews seems to stem from India.. looking at the minimum wage for India it would seem they are not better off flipping burgers at Mcdonald's, depending on the city $166 would be twice their monthly wage!!

• Get registered with ARIN and get IP addresses directly. That's the most cost effective way in the long run. Most DCs will announce the IPs for you so you can skip on router costs. You'll definitely be stuck with IPv4 limitations if you don't own your IPs. Worse case if ARIN is out of IPs, open market I'm told is about US$10/IP. If you have a solid business plan, I'm sure it's recoverable.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @Kenshin said: True story.

@Francisco is this true?

• @earl He could also deploy Virtualizor which is cheaper than SolusVM and is developed in India as well by people who have absolutely no concept what quality control or proper coding means.

• earlearl Member

@vpsnodebox said: @earl I hate their commercials and their attitude towards their customers.

I've pretty much hated Godaddy ever since they overcharged me on ssl renewal..

@vpsnodebox said: then why bother doing any of this? You could earn $65K+ / year by driving an 18 wheeler,

My buddy drives a cement truck and makes over 80k/year

• @Kenshin even so you can't hook up more than a /24 block per server, most data centers won't allow it. That's why I will never spin 256GB RAM servers, they would be pointless, unless I would get customers who need 16GB VPS servers or higher.

• @earl I have no doubt, specialized transportation pays even better, but is more work! Just ask your buddy, hell tell you ;)

• earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

I think it would be more profitable when you colo and have your own rack, buy some used server or build your own in the $200-$300 range so after a few months your server will be paid off and your only fees will be the $20-$30 per 1u +ip's that you pay to colo..

Can't really recall any VPS company that last long reselling VPS's from Hetzner, OVH, Kimsufi

• @vpsnodebox said: @Kenshin even so you can't hook up more than a /24 block per server, most data centers won't allow it. That's why I will never spin 256GB RAM servers, they would be pointless, unless I would get customers who need 16GB VPS servers or higher.

Who the hell told you that? Utter rubbish. You can route even a /8 if you want (10.0.0.0/8) to a single VLAN, it'll work as intended. Try aliasing 10.0.0.1/8 and 10.255.255.254/8 to 2 different servers in the same network, they'll be able to ping each other just fine.

It's not that you can't spin 256GB RAM servers, but how is your CPU/IO going to cope with the number of potential servers? That's 2000x 128MB servers. Sure you can get around IO by running 16x 512GB SSD RAID10, that will give you 4096GB of space, enough for 2GB per VPS. But 2000 nodes on 16 core 32 threads is going to literally die a horrible death. Intel's max is 80 core 160 thread E7-8800 series, but the cost of the beast will never be recoverable at LEB pricing.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @Kenshin said: Who the hell told you that? Utter rubbish. You can route even a /8 if you want (10.0.0.0/8) to a single VLAN, it'll work as intended. Try aliasing 10.0.0.1/8 and 10.255.255.254/8 to 2 different servers in the same network, they'll be able to ping each other just fine.

I am sorry, I didn't say that's impossible, I said that most data centers won't do it / work with you. If you think about it, after all, it's not in their best interest either.

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited August 2012

@Jack you forgot to mention Ubiquity - close to SoftLayer level of pricing and GoDaddy level of customer service.

Thanked by 1klikli