Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many openVZ vps on a server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many openVZ vps on a server?

bamnaelbamnael Member
edited August 2012 in Help

Just being curious (No I don't plan to sell anything; got a job and no time for this.);
Lets say I have a root server with an i7-920 - or a XeonE3 if that's a big difference(?), - 24GB ram - how many 128MB openVZ vps could I run on it? Like they should run with decent speed.

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

By your words, I take you are looking at Hetzner. The bottleneck will be the HDDs, before reaching the limits of the CPU / RAM. Also the IPs will be problem as well, as they are expensive at hetzner. With good HDD configuration, an E3 server can handle a LOT 128 VMs.

• bamnaelbamnael Member
    edited August 2012

@Alex_LiquidHost said: By your words, I take you are looking at Hetzner.

lol yes; was the first one that came to my mind and I just looked for the cpu/ram of a few root servers. (How did you see that?)
    What is a lot? I have no idea of this field; 10, 50, 100 ?

• The whole problem is playing the resource balancing game. You have 4 major resources, CPU/RAM/HDD Space/HDD IOPS. An E3-1230 onwards should handle better than a 920 in the CPU department. RAM as you said 24GB, gives you about 192 VMs, or 180 VMs to be in the safe zone. Problem is at 180 VMs, your CPU is going to be 4 core 8 thread, which will literally go to hell if half of the VMs are actively churning stuff. Not to mention IOPS will be an issue at 180VMs as well. If you assume that each VM needs an average 5 IOPS constantly, that's 900 IOPS to factor in. One drive is capable of between 70-100 IOPS, you're going to need 9 drives (18 drives if RAID10) to be safe.

Of course if all those 128MB VMs were doing nothing then even 200 VMs would be a problem, but unless you can control each and every one of your customers, you can't avoid trying to play the balancing game.

The more experienced LEB hosts would probably be able to give you more actual figures, I'm still pretty new in the LEB market. Most of my experience revolves around 512MB+ VMs at my main company, so I'm not sure if my figures are overinflated.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Thanked by 2TheHackBox jcaleb
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Kenshin I agree with the things you've said. SAS drives can be used for improved IOPS with less HDDs, as 18 drives RAID10 will be an overkill. I asume that atleast half of the VMs will be IDLEing, so I'd shoot at 150VMs hosted on a new E3 machine with carefully chosen HDD configuration.

• AsadAsad Member

I'm with jarland on this, 40,000 should be just about fine.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: SAS drives can be used for improved IOPS with less HDDs, as 18 drives RAID10 will be an overkill. I asume that atleast half of the VMs will be IDLEing

It depends. You need the 15k SAS or 10k Velociraptors drives to make a decent impact, and these are horribly expensive and reduce storage space at the same time. Again another balancing act involving costs vs capacity. Considering how CPU is going to also become a bottleneck, probably better off just running like 80-100 VMs so you only need 8 drives RAID10 and CPU won't be an issue.

In the past 12 years of providing hosting, I've learnt that assumption is a very very dangerous thing. Try hosting 80 cPanel VPSes on the same host node, then watch your host node die at 1AM daily due to cPanel's daily backup even though it's idle most of the time. Doesn't hurt as much at the start when the servers don't have much data, but over time is when things happen and accumulate.

• @Zen said: Get on my level, 80,000.

I see your 80,000 and raise you 80,000

Thanked by 1VPNsh
  • 42 :)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Thanked by 1klikli
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Over 9000?

:D

Thanked by 1rm_
  • maybe you should think about how many you wanna setup to decide to buy a dedicate servers. ;)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited August 2012

Just overload the server with 1 billion vms

• The people in a position to know are providers, and they're not going to come in here and tell you the degree that they're overselling their nodes.

• earlearl Member

I say 60 VPS's with 375mb ram 12gb HDD @ $4/month would be a good medium..

Breakdown:
    i7-920 59 €
    Flexi pack 15 €
    /26 (62 IP's) 43.40 €
    solusvm $10

Total approximate cost $160
    60 vps's @ $4 = $240/month

so you make $80/month per server

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@earl said: Total approximate cost $160

60 vps's @ $4 = $240/month

so you make $80/month per server

of course this is in a perfect world when you fill the node on the first month and keep it full each month ;)

• @prometeus said: of course this is in a perfect world when you fill the node on the first month and keep it full each month ;)

Not to mention for all the possible work involved and making $80/month you'd probably be better off finding a full time job instead.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

@prometeus said: of course this is in a perfect world when you fill the node on the first month and keep it full each month ;)

Yeah I'm sure after the tests are done people pretty much lose interest..

I forgot to include Paypal fees..

• earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

@Kenshin said: Not to mention for all the possible work involved and making $80/month

Well if $80 is not enough you could go for the /25 (126 IP's) so now you could do 190mb of ram @ $3/month

server with /26 = $206
    124 clients @ $3/month = $372

$166/month profit per server

not sure how well the server would run with 124 VPS's

• This might be slightly off-topic, how ever GoDaddy makes exactly $7672.32 per 48GB shared hosting server that costs them maybe $250/month. Now that's what I call profit!

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited August 2012

166/month = 8.30/day (20 days /month) = 1.04/hour (8 hrs/day)

I'm sure MacDonalds pays more. Though you don't get to call yourself CEO.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

@vpsnodebox said: This might be slightly off-topic, how ever GoDaddy makes exactly $7672.32 per 48GB shared hosting server that costs them maybe $250/month. Now that's what I call profit!

The server cost $250/month but the girls with the big boobs that advertise their services must cost a bit more than that..

@Jack said: First month your pretty stuck on profit...

Not too many business where you can be profitable or at least break even in the first month!! most expect returns in 3 years..

@Kenshin said: I'm sure MacDonalds pays more. Though you don't get to call yourself CEO.

But McDonald's is not scalable.. you are being paid time for money and since there is only one of you your potential to make money is very limited.

with a VPS you could get another server so now your making $166 x 2 you could even hire support.. you can't hire someone else to work for you at Mcdonald's!

• @earl said: But McDonald's is not scalable.. you are being paid time for money and since there is only one of you your potential to make money is very limited.

with a VPS you could get another server so now your making $166 x 2 you could even hire support.. you can't hire someone else to work for you at Mcdonald's!

True. But who would work for you for $166/month? Again that person would be better flipping burgers. Maybe at 7 servers, which would make that $7/hour, makes more sense. But that's 868 VPSes to sell, lol.

• @vpsnodebox said: This might be slightly off-topic, how ever GoDaddy makes exactly $7672.32 per 48GB shared hosting server that costs them maybe $250/month. Now that's what I call profit!

@earl I hate their commercials and their attitude towards their customers.

Fun trivia about GoDaddy shared servers:

• they run antiquated 32bit CentOS 5 with PAE enabled on dual CPU 48GB servers - I guess it's a safeguard to make sure that customers don't use to much RAM
    • the only PHP memory that a customer gets is 64MB without any APC or eAccelerator, and since they run PHP + FastCGI the customer will never ever be able to get more than that.
  • PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited August 2012

@Kenshin then why bother doing any of this? You could earn $65K+ / year by driving an 18 wheeler, you would get 10 hours a sleep every day and 2 days off every week.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • you guys also needs to market right?

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited August 2012

@vpsnodebox said: @Kenshin then why bother doing any of this? You could earn $65K+ / year by driving an 18 wheeler, you would get 10 hours a sleep every day and 2 days off every week.

Because if you succeed in the business, after a good number of years you can make 65K+/year by effectively watching your employees do the grunt work while you just make the decisions. That's when your deeply-hidden system admin senses/blood starts tingling due to the lack of hands-on work and you find LowEndBox/Talk, which makes you want to start all over again with this new concept of low end VPS servers.

True story.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @Kenshin It is a good concept and I was thinking about setting up a 64GB+ 12 core server with a RAID-10 array just for this community, but then I'm thinking about the stupid IPv4 limit. I guess that before I do anything I will poll the community.

• @jcaleb I guess their marketing budget is Zero, and it's not a bad thing. Most companies spend more on advertising than on the services that they provide -> hint !GoDaddy! hint