Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr.com permanently deletes accounts - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr.com permanently deletes accounts

Comments

• So funny, GVH reports him to fraudrecord but keeps him as a client, good work GVH.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @mrtz, @mikho

It's quite possible that ivanivanov isn't innocent like a newborn. I simply don't know. And I'm certainly not blindly defending him.

But again, if he did bad things, or even just OK things that, however, Vultr doesn't like for some reason, they were entitled to not anymore providing services to him. That's not the issue.

But from what we can see, the client was not provided an adequate accusation and reason and he was not provided a proof. And he was not provided an opportunity to safe his stuff. And he was, from what we know, not provided a (pro-rata) refund.

Now, granted, my experience in that field (being thrown out by a provider) is non-existening as I'm a boringly decent client but I would expect a provider to at the very minimum to respect the law. Which requires him to clearly specify what he accuses the client of and to provide adequate proof.

Instead Vultr (which btw. seems to not even have a company address on their web site) came up with a shady "fraud report" from a not exactly highly reputable provider who was anyway free to smear in that form whatever he pleased to.

Why not simply a clear statement from @DaveA "We have (pro-rata) refunded the client and we will provide him ftp access for 24 hrs to save his stuff" plus a private message to the client with a clear and adequate allegation and some proof?

• ivanivanovivanivanov Member
    edited February 2015

• @ivanivanov said:
    To make money from showing the ads . And for the promotion of my anonymizer

Then you should probably have paid attention to this little part in their ToS;

Vultr may, at its sole discretion, immediately terminate Your access to the Services, or >this Agreement, if Your conduct violates the AUP, or if any of Your end users' conduct >violates the AUP.

And this little part in their Use Policy;

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when you (or your end users >are) using a Service, you (and your end users) will not:

>

A. Use the Service in connection with unlawful contests, lotteries, or gambling; pyramid >schemes, chain letters, junk email, spamming or any duplicative or unsolicited messages >(commercial or otherwise).

• Once again :

If they wrote to me that my site on their hosting is undesirable, then I'd just moved to a new hosting

Instead, they waited until I bring money to my account. And then this account they removed. Well done!

• So you run an open proxy and inject ads into it. You received a DMCA request which you ignored and they terminated your account.

If you're going to steal people's intellectual property, you can at least be intellectually honest with yourself. You got caught.

• @mikho said:

We have no knowledge how many more abuse reports are sent between those dates and from the initial reply from the OP, he will ignore abuse reports unless it is delivered

You ask this question VULTR.
    Let them refuted my version

1. 01.27 I received a complaint

2. 01.27 I responded to a complaint

3. 02.20 My account has been deleted for multiple violations

Between "2" and "3" are no events!

edited February 2015

@ricardo said:
    So you run an open proxy and inject ads into it.

Yes

@ricardo said:
    You received a DMCA request which you ignored and they terminated your account.

No. I received DMCA when I host at GVH. I responded to the DMCA and GVH did not delete my account

@ricardo said:
    If you're going to steal people's intellectual property,

This is a lie.

• @ivanivanov What exactly does it say in the complaint they received / first contact you received?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@bsdguy

But from what we can see, the client was not provided an adequate accusation and reason and he was not provided a proof. And he was not provided an opportunity to safe his stuff.

He got one DMCA and they let him back in then gets a second one and is out. I say that is reason enough.

And he was, from what we know, not provided a (pro-rata) refund.

Why would he get a refund after two (or more) DMCA delivered to his provider?
    I'm sure it costs a pretty penny to clean up the mess.

@ivanivanov said:
    Once again :

If they wrote to me that my site on their hosting is undesirable, then I'd just moved to a new hosting

Guess anything goes unless you get a DMCA slapped in the face, at least twice.

@ivanivanov said:
    Instead, they waited until I bring money to my account. And then this account they removed. Well done!

I don't think they waited for your money, it was more of a unfortunate timing.
    Bottom line is, cut your loss and move on to another provider that actually allows you to run your open proxy. I think you will find them among the providers who allow TOR exits.

• I can not access my account and I can not take a screenshot tickets.

I can only make screenshots from the email, but they do not have the details.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2015

inanivanov, scraping people's content and injecting your own advertisements is theft. i could care less if this thread turns into a 20 page extravaganza about ethics, if you want to do that kind of thing you need to find a host that ignores DMCA's and copyright laws.

Open proxies have been considered bad form for eons. Play dumb all you like, most hosts won't host this kind of service.

• mikho said: Guess anything goes unless you get a DMCA slapped in the face, at least twice.

No. I did not get DMCA from VULTR.
    Only from GVH.

@ivanivanov said:
    Between "2" and "3" are no events!

Sorry, missed this while typing my previous response.
    As I read your response the the abuse report you ignore the report unless presented as DMCA complaint and will continue to run your service as it is similar to something hosted at another provider (I assume another provider in this case)?!

I fail to see your logic. Yes, you replied to the report but you could as well have written "F**k you and your reports". It would probably be rewarded with the same award.

@ivanivanov said:
    No. I did not get DMCA from VULTR. Only from GVH.

I stand corrected. I admit I was in the wrong there.
    Let me ask you this; if GVH (with the reputation that company has) wouldn't approve the service you offered and even reported you to FraudRecord (i can discuss my opinions about FR somewhere else), did you really think Vultr would be any different?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • mikho said: I fail to see your logic.

my logic works and works with all providers except vultr:

1. I get a complaint

2. I answer to the complaint

3.1 All providers except VULTR write to me: "all is well" or "do as we tell you".

3.2 VULTR: silent for a month, and then deletes account.

• mikho said: I stand corrected. I admit I was in the wrong there. Let me ask you this; if GVH (with the reputation that company has) wouldn't approve the service you offered and even reported you to FraudRecord (i can discuss my opinions about FR somewhere else), did you really think Vultr would be any different?

1. After my response to the DMCA, GVH unblocked my account and I continued to be hosted at them. Until he started having problems with ping.

2. I decided to try VULTR because he had not seen bad reviews about them and thought it was a solid company. I thought that in a solid company will not pay attention to complaints from competitors

• @mikho

He got one DMCA and they let him back in then gets a second one and is out. I say that is reason enough.

Misunderstanding. I didn't mean they had no reason (nor that they had). My point was about providing an clearly specified reason.

IOW: "You went against TOS/AUP" is not acceptable. "Your server has caused x DMCAs (see linked tickets)" is acceptable.

Why would he get a refund after two (or more) DMCA delivered to his provider?

I'm sure it costs a pretty penny to clean up the mess.

Because advance payments are for specified services only. If provider thinks, client is required to pay for cleaning up/damages/whatever, he's free to demand or even that sue for it.

Again a matter of law. No matter what TOS/AUP/whatever anyone comes up with.

I'm not saying, what ivanivanov did was right (or wrong). I'm not saying Vultr had to serve him no matter what. I'm not saying Vultr has no right to demand compensation for costs incurred, damages, etc.

I'm saying that Vultr has to respect the law, has to provide properly specified reason, has to provide proof, and has to refund pre-payed but unused services/time.

Law hands rights and obligation to both sides.

Instead Vultr comes up with shady sh-t based on shady allegations from a shady source and steal his advance payment without providing any proof.

Thanked by 1ivanivanov
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2015

@mikho said:
    I fail to see your logic. Yes, you replied to the report but you could as well have written "F**k you and your reports". It would probably be rewarded with the same award.

This should have been their cue to state disapproval of the service being run, if I'm to believe what I'm reading here. They should have asked him to pack his things right then, not wait until another report which they knew this service would generate if they know anything about the Internet.

Sounds to me like their silence was approval of how he responded and therefore of the service he ran. Sounds like they changed their mind later. At that point a refund of deposited credits would certainly be a nice gesture at the least.

Regardless, I know they're loving this thread because their sales are probably up today as a result. Bad reviews here generate good sales.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • LeeLee Veteran

GVH reports may not be the most reliable but the similarities are unavoidable.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @bsdguy

Vultr is not staking claim to any of the funds remaining in the account nor has it ever. The remaining funds have already been refunded to the user and will show up in the next 1-5 business days depending on his card issuer's policies.

It is unfortunate when these things occur but it is something that must happen in order to keep the service clean and reputable for all.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Sounds like you done good then @DaveA. Probably time to add that open proxy thing to the terms ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @DaveA

Now, that's some positive info ;)
    Probably you just hadn't yet informed ivanivanov and so he thought his advance payment was lost.

But you should really set some basic guidelines in place for your people on how to properly handle such cases (clearly specified cause, if reasonably feasible some proof, hint that any remaining funds are/have been transferred back, and some way for the clients to save their stuff).

I think much of this thread was based not so much on what you did but rather on how you did it.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • This is just a question so don't take it the wrong way (as me accusing Ivan of anything), but @ivanivanov said the details weren't in the emails, does that mean that the ticket (if he had been able to see it on vultrs site) had a more detailed description of the violation?

If so; could it be that Vultr have detailed what breaches of ToS the customer has done and also perhaps warned him about repeating offenses leading to termination?

Just asking for clarity, so even @DaveA might answer what the practice is currently! :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

ricardo said: inanivanov, scraping people's content and injecting your own advertisements is theft.

No, it's not. Please open up your nearest dictionary and look at the definition for "theft". That you morally disagree with it, or even that it is "profiting off somebody elses work", does not make it theft.

Thanked by 3Rallias ValdikSS k0nsl
  • Scoff... the ol' patronising dictionary reference.

I could counter your post from so many different angles but it's not worth the bother. Feel free to spend a few thousand hours working on some 'content' and I'll gladly ethically borrow your content.

What you may not realise is that he's likely just replacing the adsense publisher ID on the sites that are fetched through the open proxy. That's income in his pocket instead of the site owner.

Thanked by 20xdragon vimalware
    edited February 2015

ricardo said: he's likely just replacing the adsense publisher ID on the sites

It is not true , I do not change anything on the sites. Just add another ad.

By your logic: browsers too stealing content?

Jar said: Probably time to add that open proxy thing to the terms ;)

Let the 80 port will be closed too, as they close 25. To avoid forum-spam. )))

• DaveA said: The remaining funds have already been refunded to the user

Stop already lie at last!
    I trusted you before and therefore had paid through BitCoin.
    You have made refund Bitcoin to my VISA card ??? LOL!!!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Bitcoin refunds are immediate, same paypal, why need many days inbetween them?

• Maounique said: Bitcoin refunds are immediate

vultr makes no refunds Bitcoins.
    Only DaveA this probably does not know.

DaveA said: The remaining funds have already been refunded to the user and will show up in the next 1-5 business days depending on his card issuer's policies.

LOL!