Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS Web Panel - Any Good? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS Web Panel - Any Good?

2»

Comments

• CWP is a good panel if you are a system admin and know in and out of Centos. If you just have basic technical knowledge and does not know the CentOS file structure and what file does what etc, then stick to something like CPanel. CWP is free, but there are quite a lot of features that are missing, like the redirect option to name one. I like the UI of CWP better. But if you are not a system administrator in terms of the technical know-how, then you might end up buying their support plan which is $12/month for unlimited requests. But what is that point when their support is nothing more than mediocre at best? They are not customer centric and doesnt really care about fixing the issues or your requests. From a cost perspective, it really doesnt add up, if you are getting CP at $10 or so for VPS from a hosting provider. Even if you are paying more like $20 or $40 per month for Dedicated license with CP, it's much more reliable. You hardly even have to go into the terminal/ssh with CP or edit a lot of files to get something done. Most of the tasks are builts into the CP . Moreover their support is far superior than CWP. I am looking to switch over from CWP to CPanel/WHM.

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • I started to test CWP and also got a support package for the panel ($12/month).

In general, the panel works OK, some issues with my wilcard SSL, they fixed it with my 1st ticket. But they didn't tell me what waqs failing.

After that, I created some WP sites with my premium Sotaculous license, and after changing an account plan (quota) the installs inside softaculous dissapeared, and now looks empty.

This ticket is about 14h old and still waiting.

Also, webmail doesn't work, authentication not working in any case, will have to open ticket after old one is fixed.

The problem with that cheap support is that they don't allow you to have more than one ticket open and you can stay days waiting ..... but well, for $12 monthly, you can't expect really much.

In all this cases, they point you all the time to get the enterprise support, wich is about $35 per month.

Just keep this in mind.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Well, devs gotta make money .. right.. so they force for getting paid support, forum support is next to none.. if you have some issue, you are almost on your own unless someone had that issue in past and shared its fix somewhere and they don't have IPv6 support I suppose..

But its pretty good, if there is good community support, it does all stuff for you easily (apart of few , but eventually that will be added too).

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • +1for centos webpanel also

• jaejae Member

+1 for centos web panel too,
    have two vps for email hosting with it. one of them have ~17 domain with about 250 email acc. run perfectly

• nepsneps Member

Me_B said: Sentora works fine with centos and ubuntu.

To be honest, I wouldn't say zPanel or its fork "work fine" anywhere.

• teppeikunteppeikun Member
    edited June 2016

CWP is good ?
    yes ! i think so.

• Layer03Layer03 Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

We have few clients running cwp, i have tried it months ago and remember liking it a lot. Its a perfect panel for a single domain personal website, easy to use and setup.

• CWP is good, stable and easy to use but sometimes it's really slow and for
    Multi domain it's not the best choice, Personally I much prefer Virtualmin
    As it's faster and more powerful and support many linux distros (CWP support
    Only Centos 6.x ) but Wibmin/Virtualmin has a higher learning curve

• I've used CWP, it is the most comprehensive of the free but heavy panels. Uses enough server memory, but I recommend this to anyone who needs to host many websites for few websites I recommend VestaCP.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • sobsob Member
    edited March 2019

I have tried to use CWP but never got it to work. I purchased the "pro" but the system randomly reset to "no pro", disabling the "pro" functionality temporarily.

I think it's buggy and you need serious programming skills to get your sites online. The virtual server profiles are not working out of the box. It doesn't take care of rewrite rules for you. My biggest success was seeing the Apache start page. Perhaps with the right skills, you're able to easily set up SSL manually.

I had HSTS activated on my sites and fought with CWP for two days without any success.

You can only upload SSL manually for the first domain in the account. The auto-SSL is not working as long as the virtual server profile isn't correct. Without SSL, your HSTS site won't work for a long time.

A workaround would probably be to create a separate account for each domain but I don't think that's very attractive unless you're selling hosting.

But what stinks most is the attitude of the developer. He or she is negative and dismissive.

I do not recommend this for a production environment at all and I do not recommend it for inexperienced users.

My 5 sites were up & secured in Virtualmin in less than an hour.

• I've run into some minor bugs and was thrown for a loop with the major overhaul when they implemented PHP-FMP but overall I'm impressed. The pro version is under $12 a year. I was pretty upset with the way they rolled out that PHP-FMP update and all of the changes that came with it so I revisited some of the free control panels.

I host on my own servers so I actually installed, configured and tested a few different control panels. Guess what… I went back to CWP. None of them come close to the flexibility of CWP. There is a bit of a learning curve (actually not as bad as some of the others) and their forum is not very active so be prepared to dig in and learn.

Virtualmin and others are really good but I much prefer CWP and I haven’t encountered any resource issues or any bugs that caused any down time. It’s been rock solid for me and easy to use.

Yes, you should use a separate account for each domain.

It's free... give it a try. If you’re just looking to get a CP up and running as quickly as possible and don’t need all the flexibility that CWP offers, then try Vesta CP.

• Jeez, the thread that won't die!
    Don't click 'Graphs' in CWP whatever you do - it'll immediately install the spyware netdata, along with no database password. Not cute.
    CWP=rock solid; not quite but still pretty good. Try getting DKIM/SPF installed for the hostname and watch out for the over-committed memory allocation.
    Disclosure: I use one CWP Pro, plus three free versions. This is in addition to WHM/cPanel and the cumbersome Webmin/Virtualmin, on other VPSes.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

We just changed from cwp to virtualmin and it seems much more stable.

• Works really well, has a lot of features and automated options, so a definite recommend. Helped me save so much time and effort

This discussion has been closed.