Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone offering Hosted/Managed Seafile Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone offering Hosted/Managed Seafile Server

Sorry i asked this on another thread, but that sort of went off topic with alternatives.

Im sure quite a lot of you here do/offer Saas style deals. Does anyone plan on, or want to make a Saas style Hosted/Managed Seafile server?

Im aware @0xdragon was working on something, but i havent heard from him in few days, so not sure where hes at with his project (hope hes ok).

But yeah, im in need of some solution quite urgently (i had my seafile server die so all my files are now not being backed up). Im tempted to use seafiles own seacloud option, which is reasonable, but is anyone offering something similar for cheaper?

Cheers :)

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Location? how much disk do you need and how much is "cheaper"?

• Seacloud is a good option

• Oh sorry, guess i forgot to specify my needs, i was more interested in actually finding someone that offers these services and discussion what they offer and how much they offer it for.

But for my needs, location is less important. Im located in NZ, so closer to NZ is better, but i really dont mind anywhere, so long as its not hosted in a hole somewhere. I currently have few VPS's in US, which work great for me, but im sure EU is also fine.

As for storage, im looking at ~20GB, but interested in hearing prices vs storage the provider can offer.

"cheaper", well, seacloud offers 100gb for 10USD/mth. @0xdragon informally mentioned (unsure if its correct still) that he was planning on offering 15GB with his unique build for ~$24/year. http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/43509/hosted-seafile-or-alternatives

Seacloud is still within my budget, it just depends on what is being offered vs the price its being offered at. :)

• I think Seacloud has an SLA and is hosted on AWS so probably quite a robust solution.

• So you're in NZ, do you think AU is the best?

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    So you're in NZ, do you think AU is the best?

Best in general or best for latency?

I believe @Oliver From RansomIT has NZ servers, obviously this would require you to self host and manage them..

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

If you want the best latency I have a POP in Auckland and offer the same plans there as in Australia anyway. :-) Not familiar with Seacloud myself but if it runs on a standard Linux setup you should be able to set it up yourself.

• XIAOSpider97 said: So you're in NZ, do you think AU is the best?

Usually NZ/AU servers are significantly more expensive (price vs specs) than US/EU ones. Guessing theres a bigger market and bandwidth is cheaper?

AU is definitely better than US/EU, and NZ is even better, but i really have no requirement for it to be in AU/NZ, it really doesnt matter that much (so long as it works, that extra 50-100ms makes very little difference to me, specially compared to price vs specs).

Saying that, i was meaning to talk to @Oliver, i think i saw a nicely priced NZ VPS offers from you guys at somepoint and i was meaning on enquiring. Though, at this stage, im not in need of a NZ VPS, but in the near future i will, and will be in touch. :)

As for the seafile server, im actually looking for a hosted/managed solution. I have tried twice with decent VPS's to host my own seafile server (currently still have one). But every time, i have the issue of having to restart the server every so often, restart seafile every so often (i didnt have a auto start script), and do all these maintenance stuff (heck, i never bothered to even update it). And each of those servers actually ended up crashing because of seafile somehow corrupted, which was annoying and confusing. My current VPS has seafile running, but i cant sync anymore because it claims that some of the repos are corrupted, and none of the recommended fixes worked.

I just want to pass these tasks for someone who is more experienced and that they do it as a job themselves anyway, so i can have a peace of mind and do my job without having to worry or waste time :) thus why im looking for a hosted/managed system :)

Could be an interesting project.
    I have no idea what the requirements are and how isolated the users files would be so that means that if I would offer seafile, it won't be now. Probably would need some months to do a proper decision.

Did have a look at it and if one would go for the free/community edition it would certainly need some sort of isolation to make sure that other users don't read your files.
    The "proper" way to offer it would be getting the Hosting Edition, which isn't cheap (compared to lowend servers).

Not to mention that the recommendation from seafile is having at least 2 GB Ram in the server (depends on usage).

When i did the calculation on how I would set something like this up (that means in a way that I could support it properly) it wouldn't be able to compete with the plans offered already. Mainly because I don't have a large infrastructure, yet.

I have a plan so it might be done in the future as SaaS but not right now.

The closest thing to an offer I can think of at this moment is:
    Xen based VPS
    25 GB storage
    1 GB RAM + 1GB Swap
    500 GB /month
    Miami location.

Setup Fee and monthly price is negotiable but expect somewhere around $7,5-10 / month.

As you can see, not even close to what you can get direct from seafile.

• @mikho said:

500GB Managed Seafile Server needed. What can you offer @mikho ?

• Thanked by 1eol
  • @visionboard said:

@mikho said:

How ironic that you can't see that this was nearly a 4 year old post you replied to.

• @Letzien said:

@visionboard said:

@mikho said:

How ironic that you can't see that this was nearly a 4 year old post you replied to.

I don't care about thread being old, all I care is that @mikho is still active on LET :D