Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted Seafile or Alternatives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted Seafile or Alternatives?

decaydecay Member
edited February 2015 in General

I have posted a question here a while back regurding wanting a dropbox alternative for backing up and syncing my code/work/files etc. Im a programmer, and i work on a LOT of projects, and i have a huge amount of past projects. They arnt big in filesize, but theres thousands of smaller files etc. The main purpose is for cloud backups and to have all my computers always synced, so i can quickly swap computers and continue where i left off (or work from home, or work from work etc). Also nice to have access rights and sharing options so you can give others access to a folder/file if required, but thats not really a big deal.

I have tried solutions like owncloud and dropbox and gdrive which struggled to upload a large number of files as such.

Best solution i found was seafile. But since i started using it (year or so ago?), i have had many issues (always followed their guide and setup on my own VPS). There were couple of times where it just stopped syncing (or connecting alltogether), and theer is no logical reason why, no obvious error log. WTF right? And couple of times i realised that it wasent syncing some files, or folders (it didnt even throw any noticable error), and i only realised because i realised some of my code was lost(?), which was annoying.

Anyway, today i realised that my seafile client was not connected for last couple of days (no biggie), i had to load up the server and restart seafile and what not, but its causing the issue every so often again and again which is driving me nuts.

TL;DR;
Soooo, i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of seafile alternatives, OR know any good HOSTED seafile providers (i assume these would be much more reliable than own hosted), as in that they would be monitoring and restarting when needed etc instead of letting it hang.

Comments

• Try their own hosted service:
    https://seacloud.cc/accounts/register/

• I really like BtSync. I am synching about 150gig of RAW pictures with three desktop and one linux debian server. http://www.getsync.com/.

Thanked by 1Rapta
  • oh yup, i saw those, i was considering that. Just wondering if there are alternatives. :)

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited February 2015

I can definitely do Seafile if you want :)

How much storage are you looking for?

• 0xdragon said: How much storage are you looking for?

Currently im using about 15GB on the whole VPS im hosting on. So maybe a bit more, and the ability to expand later when required.

But the main question is, whats the benefit of you vs doing my own (how i currently have) or even the seafile cloud on their website? Sorry, no offence by this, i have to ask to understand what you are offering. :)

• @decay said:
    But the main question is, whats the benefit of you vs doing my own (how i currently have) or even the seafile cloud on their website? Sorry, no offence by this, i have to ask to understand what you are offering. :)

• Backups (to NetApp storage)
    • Backed by redundant servers (in the event of failure)
    • Cheaper? (I'm unsure as to the pricing of SeaCloud, I don't see it mentioned anywhere..)
    • Own installation (by this, I mean you have your own, isolated install that isn't just a subuser on one big install)- like self-hosted.

Otherwise, as you can expect, it's Just-Another-SaaS. People sometimes love self-hosting and sometimes they just want things ready to go. It just depends on your needs! :)

• @0xdragon

Fair enough, What sort of pricing can you offer? Just give me couple of storage tires and options if you can (monthly/yearly etc as well if price can differ).

Also, assuming it can also support custom domain? I can change the CNAME/A record of one of my subdomains i wish to use to what ever you ask etc.

Cheers

• @0xdragon

oh and forgot to ask, updates etc as well?

• Also back to the topic, has anyone used: Pydio or Sparkleshare before?

• @decay - I am running Pydio for my family on a Delimiter dedicated server. It works well, the Android apps work that even my sister can upload her stuff.

• @decay said:
    Also back to the topic, has anyone used: Pydio or Sparkleshare before?

I use Pydio, thank you for reminding me

• @decay said:
    0xdragon

Fair enough, What sort of pricing can you offer? Just give me couple of storage tires and options if you can (monthly/yearly etc as well if price can differ).

Also, assuming it can also support custom domain? I can change the CNAME/A record of one of my subdomains i wish to use to what ever you ask etc.

Cheers

Not 100% sure but:

I think the price will be something like https://traviro.net/cloud/index.php/order/config/index/Small/?group_id=1&pricing_id=12 (check out the storage options too).

Custom domain will probably be possible.

Ask for updates, you get updates

• @MarkTurner, @cassa: how does pydio work compared to seafile/dropbox/owncloud? I saw some info, but it fails to explain if it watches and syncs folders you choose automatically (like dropbox/seafile etc). Well, there is a sync client i found, but their website is too vague, im not even sure if its supported for the free version.

@cassa TY for the link, yeah thats pretty nice pricing (though their storage explanation is pretty horrible haha). Sorry i dont really keep a lot of attention to this community (regarding feedback and reputation), but im assuming 0xdragon's CloudCommando services are pretty recommended around here? I don't really want to invest on something then have to swap providers again and again (time and effort of doing that is more costly to me than the actual cost of the thing), already have done some bad VPS investments here in the past, so im learning my lesson slowly to not to cheap out :P

• @decay Have a look at https://pyd.io/apps/pydio-sync/ this is their new sync client. It works well.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

decay said: but im assuming 0xdragon's CloudCommando services are pretty recommended around here?

@0xdragon is a good guy, I have an Observium install with him and its top notch.

@0xdragon: hook me up :D

• Why not use bitbucket private repository for your private projects? Git is very efficient for handling lots small files. I know some sync app use the git binary compression to handle massive small files.

edited February 2015

@decay said:

0xdragon: hook me up :D

I can do 15GB for $8/yr and SeaFile with a dedicated IP for $16/yr which means a total of $24/yr. Storage can be expanded as needed :)

• @0xdragon said:

Where do we sign up? haha :-)

Thanked by 1TheKiller
    edited February 2015

Just updated the image, it's not quite right (older image).

@catalystium said:
    Where do we sign up? haha :-)

It'll be in my offer on the 16th. Hope to have automated provisioning too, but it'll be limited stock :-)

Thanked by 1catalystium
  • @0xdragon hook me up plz. Sounds interesting, keen to give it a go. Price sounds nice too. Hook me up with a bit more storage too if you can (do you have couple more storage tire options?). Also curious to know if you guys do updates automatically on regular basis (since seafile is still being developed quite a bit, so there will be a lot of regular updates being released?).

Also, assuming this is ok, but just thought i would check again about the custom domain thing. Is there anything specific i need to do, im assuming this is nothing difficult. I want the seafile instance to connect with seafile.mydomain.com (or equivalent).

• bookstack said: Why not use bitbucket private repository for your private projects? Git is very efficient for handling lots small files. I know some sync app use the git binary compression to handle massive small files.

haha, yeah ofcorse im aware of the benefits of git and version control. the question here is not about how to version control or manage your projects. Its more about how to keep some of my project folders in sync between multiple computers (reason i mentioned that im a programmer and i code is to emphasize the type of files and amount of files i will be syncing). And Yes, i use bitbucket too, project per project basis, but i have about 3 work stations that i swap between every day, for which is pretty silly to have to commit and push every time i swap workstations (and i may be working on 10 projects at once).

edited February 2015

@decay said:
    0xdragon hook me up plz. Sounds interesting, keen to give it a go. Price sounds nice too. Hook me up with a bit more storage too if you can (do you have couple more storage tire options?). Also curious to know if you guys do updates automatically on regular basis (since seafile is still being developed quite a bit, so there will be a lot of regular updates being released?).

Also, assuming this is ok, but just thought i would check again about the custom domain thing. Is there anything specific i need to do, im assuming this is nothing difficult. I want the seafile instance to connect with seafile.mydomain.com (or equivalent).

Yep, storage is relatively simple to calculate.

First 8GB is $5/yr and further storage is 12.5c/GB/mth up to 50GB where the price drops :)

For your custom domain, when you order there is a compulsory input box to place your domain in :)

@decay, PM me- and anyone interested, PM me too.

Thanks!

• 0xdragon said: Yep, storage is relatively simple to calculate.

First 8GB is $5/yr and further storage is 12.5c/GB/mth up to 50GB where the price drops :)

For your custom domain, when you order there is a compulsory input box to place your domain in :)

Sweet, and how would i go about ordering this? :D

edited February 2015

@decay said:
    Sweet, and how would i go about ordering this? :D

PM me :)

• 0xdragon said: PM me :)

Spammed you. Probably regretting asking me to pm now XD

• still waiting for 0xdragon's response, but im in need of such solution urgently. So, incase his setup is not ready yet, anyone know of any other alternatives?