Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net strangeness - terminated server & account gone? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net strangeness - terminated server & account gone?

Comments

• @wych said:
    This seems peculiar...

I have several boxes with them, generating much more load and traffic than a dropbox instance; no issues here.

Sure support could be better, but I can't see them doing this for no good reason.

I was thinking the same. I have 5 boxes with Online and at least one of them is generating a lot more traffic than I'd expect that to. I agree support could be slightly better, but they've always been fairly quick and frienly towards me. I cannot complain about that.

Anything back yet @Fatboy?

• @iKeyZ said:
    generating a lot more traffic than I'd expect that to

I'm talking about 30TB+ over a few boxes, bursting over a few days.

• @wych said:
    I'm talking about 30TB+ over a few boxes, bursting over a few days.

Exactly why this seems pretty odd.. Would be good to know a few more details.

• FatboyFatboy Member
    edited February 2015

Okay - just got home so apologies about the lack of reply. Online.net replied to me after 12 hours of waiting to say they will not let the server back on the network and then said I could close the ticket!

After reading what you guys are pushing through your servers I have now asked Online tech support to show me some graphs and tell me what type of flood was happening.

Something is very strange and @bene_online spouting that it was a verification problem has now been proved to be complete BS.

@kcaj - the server he went for was http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-lt

Its not even my money but I will be pushing the guy to get a full refund for the BS he has gone through, the rubbish he has been told on this forum by @bene_online and for the distinct lack of service - about 3 hours of actual online time!

Hopefully someone will see this thread and think twice about Online.net and their shady tactics and lying support staff.

Lets see if I get a reply within 12 hours - strange that @bene_online has gone very quiet since the truth came out.

Thanked by 2Mark_R J1021
  • @Fatboy: You got an answer in your ticket. And we're not shutting down a server because you are syncing it with Dropbox...

Thanked by 1oijpghjighoji
  • wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

@bene_online said:
    Fatboy: You got an answer in your ticket. And we're not shutting down a server because you are syncing it with Dropbox...

Interesting...

@Fatboy what was the reason Online.net stated?

• FatboyFatboy Member
    edited February 2015

The only reason we got, and I quote directly from the ticket Online.net opened, was:

You can now access on your Online account, your server make too many problem on switch and perturbate network and much of customer. Then, you can access to your server in rescue mode to backup all data and search another provider. Your server will terminate at the end of month.

So once again, not sure what @bene_online means, yet more smoke and mirrors and not one word of truth spoken, think I will grab the whole ticket incase it suddenly gets closed and/or deleted

I replied to that with:

AmI right in saying that you are complaining about the amount of traffic I was causing to go through your switches? If that is the case then its easy to explain: My cPanel backups were in Dropbox so I was syncing Dropbox with the server as well as transferring accounts via the cPanel transfer tool from another server. I would ask that you reactivate the server and allow me to stay on the server. I will disable the Dropbox sync script and the traffic shouldn't be too high anymore as I have transferred all the domains. Dropbox will no longer be used on the server - again, I repeat that IF this is purely traffic problems, they will not be a problem any longer as all accounts have been transferred

To which they replied:

indeed it was a flood problem on our network. You can get your data from the rescue mode as explained by my colleague Vincent. Unfortunately, we'll not be able to let you renew your server. It'll be terminated on the 1rst March.

Slightly cheesed off with still getting no proof about anything I sent:

In that case please provide graphs showing the proof of the flood, together what type of flood, as I am finding this hard to believe, especially after chatting to others pushing a lot more data through your network than I was. Also, please point out in the T&C about you being able to terminate whilst not telling the individual involved for 72 hours Perhaps a reply faster than 12 hours would be possible as well.

Anyway, if @bene_online thinks we have been told anything else, perhaps he would like to enlighten us publicly instead of hiding behind yet more untruthful one liners

Thanked by 3J1021 Chuck default
  • @Fatboy said:

their reasoning is really vague. ontop of that i find their replies kind of rude if whatever you posted here is true. honestly, i personally would have just taken the backup and move on to a more mature provider who's straightforward and fair, no bullshit.

Thanked by 3J1021 Fatboy Chuck
  • Move has already been made - the chap couldn't wait so bought a new server and so I start again this evening. Doesn't mean I am not digging into whats happened anymore, I have only just started!

I have no problem posting the whole trouble ticket to show everything I am saying is down the line. Unfortunately it doesn't contain what the guy said on the phone, but I know the server had just been set up as I did that and three hours later all this happens.

Guessing at the end of the day its our word verses theirs but to be honest, I would suggest that people take care when going anywhere near Online.net and their shady business practices, even their online rep here @bene_online doesn't speak a word of truth!

However, I guess they have to make their money somewhere due to their prices.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • I am surprised with the attitude of the support.

What you have to know though is that online.net comes from iliad S.A which is specialized in low cost and low quality services. All their services are based on the fact that a customer is not going to consume all resources presumably available, thus they lower prices so much that when a few of them start to use the resources indeed, they can't keep up. They have an ISP, free.fr which is worst large ISP of France behind orange.fr.

Historically they basically figured out that they could pretend to provide high speed, such as 28Mbit/s in ADSL for just a few euros because customers were only using a few kbit/s. But then some services which required bandwidth started to appear, mostly youtube.com and then the scam was falling apart. So they've discovered a new way to make money, asking huge money for peering, of course no network wants to peer with them, and this is how their customers ended up not even being able to watch a low quality on youtube.com without re-buffering constantly.

Thanked by 1Fatboy
  • bene_onlinebene_online Member
    edited February 2015

@UrDN: Online does belong to Iliad, but we are different company than Free. Not linked to them anyway. We use our own AS and have our own rules. You'll always be allowed to use the guaranteed bandwidth included in the offer you choose, in case you're using it in a legit way

Thanked by 3rm_ oijpghjighoji ahmiq
  • @bene_online said:
    UrDN: Online does belong to Iliad but we are different company than Free. Not linked to them anyway. We use our own AS and have our own rules. You'll always be allowed to use the guaranteed bandwidth included in the offer you choose, in case you're using it in a legit way

Complete put me off buying a online.net server or any vps on your network. 1 VPS syncing with Dropbox boom there goes a whole account could be thousands of VPSes

Thanked by 1default
  • You can sync as many dropbox accounts as you want, no issue about that

• @bene_online said:
    You can sync as many dropbox accounts as you want, no issue about that

In that case why was this server cancelled. And DO NOT REFER TO FATBOY AND SAY A USUAL SHADY RESPONSE LIKE CHECK THE PM.

We are all sat here on the edge of our seats wondering whether it's going to affect us

Thanked by 1default
  • BuyAdsBuyAds Member
    edited February 2015

Bene_online, why do not provide logs from flooding to your client?
    I really have another look for online.net from today.

Thanked by 1default
  • wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

Fatboy said: I have no problem posting the whole trouble ticket to show everything I am saying is down the line.

I would be curious to see it...

@BuyAds said:
    Bene_online, why do not provide logs from flooding to your client?
    I really have another look for online.net from today.

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    In that case why was this server cancelled. And DO NOT REFER TO FATBOY AND SAY A USUAL SHADY RESPONSE LIKE CHECK THE PM.

Its not up to bene and as a customer of his I would be annoyed if he did post them, however @Fatboy or his client could post them.

• Ask him for any details. He can find the information in his account. I will not post any confidential information about any customer we have. As I told you, there is no need to worry if you're using it in a legit way, like customers explained here (@wych or @iKeyZ to mention)

• bene_online said: You can sync as many dropbox accounts as you want, no issue about that

Client's logs please..

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited February 2015

@ATHK said:

Why would they hand out clients logs? It's up to @Fatboy to ask/show any details - as @wych said, I'd be pretty worried if @bene_online released any of this information.

Something does seem odd though, was it really just a dropbox sync?

• @iKeyZ said:
    Something does seem odd though, was it really just a dropbox sync?

Not kidding, OP just wants proof, which obviously they aren't willing to hand over the logs.

The provider not willing to hand over logs seems suss to me..

Thanked by 3BuyAds Mark_R default
  • Like i said, something fishy is going on. Nobody is going to believe a server got suspended for (legit)dropbox sync.

• @bene_online said:
    UrDN: Online does belong to Iliad, but we are different company than Free. Not linked to them anyway. We use our own AS and have our own rules. You'll always be allowed to use the guaranteed bandwidth included in the offer you choose, in case you're using it in a legit way

This is only like this for not so long. Despite this has considerably improved the chaotic network situation I am confident that online.net will try to apply the same politics once it would have a considerable amount of users base that could be used to extort others.

Iliad always tried to appear "fancy" to seduce the weak-minded and hide horrible practices that only technical people can understand.

• @cosmicgate said:
    Like i said, something fishy is going on. Nobody is going to believe a server got suspended for (legit)dropbox sync.

This.

I was doing ~500 Mbps in/out for several days without a single issue before and my servers are working without a hitch. Support for one dead box was quick and fine too.

• bene_online said: he will get contacted by us on monday. I invite both of you to wait until then

See, you yourself just typed "the problem with your support".

• @Patrick said:
    I was doing ~500 Mbps in/out for several days without a single issue before and my servers are working without a hitch. Support for one dead box was quick and fine too.

I'd second this, I've used 300mbps+ for days straight with no complaint from them on a 20EUR server.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2015

ATHK said: The provider not willing to hand over logs seems suss to me..

Why are you believing the OP that they didn't give him logs? Just going by one side's accusations, while that side is probably just a script kid trying to ddos, got caught, and now raises a whine trying to not lose his server.

Thanked by 4iKeyZ ahmiq Dylan netomx
  • ATHKATHK Member
    edited February 2015

@rm_ said:
    Why are you believing the OP that they didn't give him logs? Just going by one side's accusations, while that side is probably just a script kid trying to ddos, got caught, and now raises a whine trying to not lose his server.

My first impression of @bne_online put a sour taste in my mouth, so I opted for OP's story.

Honestly I don't really care about any of this I just want a speedy outcome, and supplying logs .. would be a speedy outcome.

Thanked by 3Fatboy Mark_R default
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2015

ATHK said: and supplying logs

The provider should not publicly post any data about their client, let alone actual logs of their usage. That you/we here may have used to small potato LEB providers blatantly breaking this, does not mean the large providers don't have any privacy standards to upkeep.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited February 2015

@rm_ said:
    The provider should not publicly post any data about their client, let alone actual logs of their usage. That you/we here may have used to small potato LEB providers blatantly breaking this, does not mean the large providers don't have any privacy standards to upkeep.

I know that, I don't want them, OP does...

OP is probably then free to post them if he wishes..

• FatboyFatboy Member
    edited February 2015

Morning all - I am off to work in a bit so will look at the graphs available in the Online dashboard a little later, I probably won't understand them too well but will have a go :)

Here is the complete ticket, along with the reply I have just sent Online. I have taken out their agent names (replaced with xxxx). The ticket reads from the bottom upwards. You will notice that the latest reply actually states that it wasn't the amount of traffic used it was the traffic that was sent? I just wish they would give a straight answer!

I wasn't there when the guy who bought the server called on the phone, but was on Skype with him when he did it. I advised him to ask why he was blocked from his account (something that @bene_online says they never do remember!) and why I couldn't get into the server (using keys not password so I knew it wasn't fat fingers and typos!!). I have nothing to hide, this thread started off as a 'what has happened' and slowly turned into my own 'Watch your footing if you go with Online' (perhaps I should call them offline.net?)

Anyway:

** EDIT**: As @wych suggested screen shots I have them in PDF uploaded to mediafire, if anyone needs anything in a different format I will get to that later when I get home.

Graphs: http://www.mediafire.com/view/b4byttnsbiyts80/Online_graphs.pdf

Ticket: http://www.mediafire.com/view/ph7gc9dbz3u6aed/Online_Ticket.pdf

Those are just print screens of both pages in the Online console