Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlantic.net $0.99 VPS - How does it hold up? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Atlantic.net $0.99 VPS - How does it hold up?

2»

Comments

• Solid uptime, using it as VPN and working great.

• I used 256 RAM to serve 4 wordpress site with webmin control panel.
    So far in 3 days is very good.
    Great price for KVM VPS with dedicated IPv4

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • used it as vpn and it only goes down when am resetting password

• Questions for anyone:

• Can you mount your own ISO?
    • Can you change rDNS?
    • How is performance in Orlando? Dallas?

Thanks in advance

• No paypal based payment :(

• Best VPS you can buy for 99 cents. Uptime is fantastic, speeds are fantastic. No downtime in the 5 months I've had it. I'm at their USA-Central location.

• They have four locations, but speed test files for just one. I brought this up via live chat, but didn't really get anything out of it.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2015

Really good vps for the price. The GO box ($.99) is brilliant, coming with 1TB bandwidth. Best support via live chat, also (I had a problem updating cc and the rep of atlantic.net solve in in seconds). The only downtime for me is the speed: in Europe, Greece where I live I face speeds of 5-12MB download and 2,5-8MB upload.
    Surprisingly, central location has better speed than east location.

This is from Greece

Of course, from local server speeds are completely different!

• akbakb Member

geekalot said: Questions for anyone:

Can you mount your own ISO?

Can you change rDNS?
    How is performance in Orlando? Dallas?
    Thanks in advance

No you cannot mount any ISO (yours or theirs). They use template installs.

Yes. RDNS can be set via their custom panel.

Can't say about Dallas as I am using the Canadian location which has been all good so far.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • DBADBA Member

Can't get it with CentOS for some reason (select it and the 99c Go plan disappears).

• DBA said: Can't get it with CentOS for some reason

I think centos (they do not have minimal image) is recourse - hungry and they do not offer it to their small plan.

• @akb said:
    No you cannot mount any ISO (yours or theirs). They use template installs.

Yes. RDNS can be set via their custom panel.

Can't say about Dallas as I am using the Canadian location which has been all good so far.

Thanks @akb; that is what I thought, re: you cannot mount any ISO.

• akb said: No you cannot mount any ISO (yours or theirs). They use template installs.

It's KVM-based though, right? So you can at least bootstrap install if the OS supports it.

• DBADBA Member

jvnadr said: DBA said: Can't get it with CentOS for some reason

I think centos (they do not have minimal image) is resource - hungry and they do not offer it to their small plan.

They offer Fedora which is pretty close to CentOS. I have no problems with CentOS on a RamNode 128MB+64MB swap VPS (the $15/year plan) so it should also be fine on a 256MB VPS.

• @zeitgeist said:
    It's KVM-based though, right? So you can at least bootstrap install if the OS supports it.

Any resources to read on how to do that?

• @zeitgeist said:

Yes, possible, but a PITA if you want to encrypt the filesystem.

• @geekalot said:
    Yes, possible, but a PITA if you want to encrypt the filesystem.

Alternatively, if your OS supports it, you could get a bootstrap installer iso and start it from Grub, the rest goes via network. Anaconda/Kickstart, Debian/Ubuntu installers for example can do that.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@zeitgeist said: It's KVM-based though, right? So you can at least bootstrap install if the OS supports it.

>

Alternatively, if your OS supports it, you could get a bootstrap installer iso and start it from Grub, the rest goes via network. Anaconda/Kickstart, Debian/Ubuntu installers for example can do that.

Bootstrap? How? With no custom ISO install option, I mean.

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited March 2015

aglodek said: Bootstrap? How? With no custom ISO install option, I mean.

Yep. There are actually two ways. WIth CentOS/RH, you could prepare your existing grub (from the pre-installed Linux on your VPS) to netboot/PXE the Anaconda installer, so that when you reboot your VPS, the installer will be loaded instead of the existing Linux. Or, with Debian/Ubuntu, you could use the netboot mini.iso file, download it to your existing Linux along with the linux/initrd.gz kernel files, modify Grub again, and have Grub load the mini.iso upon the next restart. Same result - mini.iso is the bootstrapper that will load the rest of the netinstall code and launch your installer.

In both cases I assume that you have VNC access so that you can go through the installing process without SSH. If you don't have VNC, even then a custom install is possible; you'd have to prepare an unattended installation which is possible with both Debian/Ubuntu and CentOS.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Is this limited to 1 instance per customer?

• @zeitgeist said:

Interesting and very useful. Learn something new here every day. Thanks :)

• @vfuse said:
    Is this limited to 1 instance per customer?

Yes.

• My cc could not get "verified" .

• edited March 2015

@inthecloudblog
    The same happened to me (visa). So they asked me to send some ID (blurred driving license) and my account/VM was activated. They really should add PayPal.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • bersybersy Member
    edited March 2015

onkel said: Yep. Asked the support a while ago for speedtests of other DC, they dont have any.

New website design and working test files respectively https://www.atlantic.net/speed-test/

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@thomasthomas71985 said:
    Only 5$ for 5 VPS, what are you waiting for ?

https://www.fiverr.com/s/7yj4oq

Spamprick? Plz ban.