Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What type of deals would you like to see? Come in and respond!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What type of deals would you like to see? Come in and respond!

JonchunJonchun Member
edited February 2015 in General

I know there's tons of VPS providers out there, and there are already a lot of quality budget hosts as well. Still, I know there are people who are looking for something new, and those of you who are looking to add another VPS to your collection, so hit me. What type of plan/deal would you like to see?

I'm currently building and relaunching a new domain I have, so at the very least, it will give me some options to consider. I've always been told that aiming at the low end markets was a terrible idea, but I have some servers to sell, and I figure it's better than having them sit here. Currently, I'm thinking low price, (no) support, but solid specs. I want to do something solid like the following, and hopefully become a one-stop shop for your xen LEBs. If you guys have any suggestions or feedback, let me know and I'll try to take them into account!

Current proposed plans:
Hosted on E3-1230v2 nodes.

Xen PV
1 CPU - Fair Share
1GB RAM
50GB HDD
1TB BW @ 100mbps
1 IPv4

for $4/mo.

These will be hosted on Incero's Dallas Location. Should I be looking into providing OpenVZ, but making sure I don't oversell RAM? Would that generate any interest? I've been trying to move away from VZ because of the bad reputation it has. Hopefully this post generates some interest, and I (and other providers here at LET) can get a better idea of what our customers want.

Comments

• Personally prefer yearly deals. And I am actually considering a Dallas server, current one is just 5GB HDD.

• @Jonchun said:
    These will be hosted on Incero's Dallas Location. Should I be looking into providing OpenVZ, but making sure I don't oversell RAM? Would that generate any interest?

Nothing wrong with overselling RAM (since not everyone uses all of their resources, and it ends up making prices cheaper), as long as it's done properly and not oversold to the point it's unusable.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

said: Xen PV

1 CPU - Fair Share
    1GB RAM
    50GB HDD
    1TB BW @ 100mbps
    1 IPv4
    for $4/mo.

I am suggesting to take your calculator and do your math again.

2 gb for node opreation (swraid ) = 30 GB sellable = 120 usd per month - on 30 transactions your paypal fee will be 12,6 usd which leads you to 107,4 usd of income 97,40 usd of income after panel fee

1GB for node opreation (hwraid) =31 GB sellable = 124 usd per month which leads you to 110,93 usd after paypal - panel fee (lets round it to 10 usd) - 100,93 usd of income

How much will node cost you ?

I hope that i have helped you.

Thanked by 2BuyAds vimalware
  • @hostnoob said:
    Nothing wrong with overselling RAM (since not everyone uses all of their resources, and it ends up making prices cheaper), as long as it's done properly and not oversold to the point it's unusable.

Agreed. Overselling RAM/CPU is fine as not everyone will use 100% 24/7/365 however disk I never agree with overselling.

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited February 2015

@drserver said:
    I hope that i have helped you.

Thanks for the input! I've done the math so we don't need to worry about that. All I need to worry about is whether they'll sell or not :)

Edit: Shoutout to Incero for great pricing and package deals.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • well not everyone using 100% RAM is an assumption, not fact. what if coincidentally, everyone does?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @century1stop said:
    well not everyone using 100% RAM is an assumption, not fact. what if coincidentally, everyone does?

That's exactly what I was thinking! Granted, it's a pretty safe assumption: e.g. If I have 30GB ram to allocated and I assign 35, chances are it'll never even come close. But I never want to be caught in that sort of position.

• @Jonchun said:

better safe than sorry, plus you will provide a much better service ;)

• No IPv6? SolusVM? 100Mbps uplink? An E3-1230v2? Dallas?

I'll pass without thinking about it twice.

• add in some DDOS protection

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited February 2015

@century1stop said:
    well not everyone using 100% RAM is an assumption, not fact. what if coincidentally, everyone does?

There are always customers on every node who are there just to do testing & see what the provider has to offer in terms of quality. There are some who order more RAM than what they expect to use just to be safe & then there are only a few of those who use all of their allocated resources.

Also, everyone on a particular node runs different stuff & and I think there is only one in a million chance that everyone would use all of their allocated RAM at the same time.

And particularly on LET, there are lot of people here who sign up with a provider to get the "Amazing Yearly Deal" but most of the times there VMs sit idle staring at them for most of the year :)

• @fametel said:

what I'm saying is, not willing to take the risk, nothing more.

there are of course "safe" zones for overselling ;)

• @century1stop said:
    there are of course "safe" zones for overselling ;)

I do not recommend or promote overselling but I was just trying to say that there is nothing wrong with overselling a bit( not like those who do massive overselling) as it ensures optimum use of resources. All the giants of VPS & Cloud hosting oversell but they do it within acceptable limits & hence don't run into any issues.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • @mpkossen said:
    No IPv6? SolusVM? 100Mbps uplink? An E3-1230v2? Dallas?

I'll pass without thinking about it twice.

• 100Mbps uplink isn't the whole box. That's just the rate limit per VPS. I can't think of any realistic scenarios where a LEB needs more than 100Mbps. If you're using that much, you're just hogging b/w from your neighbors anyways.
    • SolusVM is pretty much like cPanel IMO. It may not be the best, but it's old, been tested, and gets the job done.
    • IPv6 is possible, but I haven't had too much demand for it so that can wait. (Incero's network is IPv6 capable so if need be I may be adding it soon)
    • E3-1230v2 is old, but still not terrible
    • Dallas = Central US. Pretty solid location for a lot of Americans as it's a good in-between for west/east coast.
    Thanked by 2vimalware Pwner
  • European KVMs (preferrably fresh locations) with no annoying limitations (Vultr, DO-level acceptance for usage) for around 7 USD.

• @Jonchun said:
    Edit: Shoutout to Incero for great pricing and package deals.

Yes, Incero does have some nice specials every few days. (just going by their Facebook)

Some new entrant could start a revolution with this 8 node e3-1271 cluster for 999/m(12m terms) : https://www.facebook.com/Incero/photos/a.398352700204330.94996.259717217401213/880369268669335/

Do you have any SSD Raid1 nodes?

I like these CPUs compared to the 2Ghz E5s. E3+ssd is a great pairing.

I'm waiting for some provider to apply price anchoring psychology to get buyers to go for high-ram plans (with carrots like 2.5x Disk/BW for every 2x RAM step up)

This in turn will reduce IO contention and provide excellent customer experience too.

Overselling Bandwidth a little is harmless as long as you don't give out tons of Disk(recipe for p2p abuse).

By crafting pricing strategy like this , someone could try and attract the right kind of clients (who just want their shit to run GREAT).

Heck, even OpenVZ providers could try this. Linear scaling of resources is getting boring . ;)

I don't know how this could work in the <$7 market. Someone on the mid-end market could run with this.

• @vimalware said:
    I don't know how this could work in the <$7 market. Someone on the mid-end market could run with this.

I have 1 SSD Raid 10 box, but that's reserved for higher end deals as there's very limited disk space. I could probably work something out for you if needed.

And please, could you explain a little more about what you meant with price anchoring?

Something like:
    1 GB RAM
    25 GB Disk

scales into

2 GB RAM
    75 GB Disk
    ?

Obviously this model won't work at LET, but I am definitely looking for different ways to have my slightly more premium hosting work.

• Price anchoring is already practiced by the 6gb overs/zold openvz vendors.

Say you want to extract more value from your customer base via a $7 offer,

You then price your 512 and 1gb plans at $3 and $5. These serve as your anchors.

You're now free to offer a 6gb ram plan at $7

(only feasible on E5s with >100GB of ram)

Barring a few outlier clients, this helps maintain a healthy cash flow to keep providing A-grade service. :)

Policing IO abusers will be main workload I think.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited February 2015

it would be cool if you could do something like dollarvz.com or xvmlabs.com does.

• What I really need right now is high bandwidth and high storage vps.. :)

• @sirmbhe said:
    What I really need right now is high bandwidth and high storage vps.. :)

3 Kidechire not enough yet, bro??

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • sirmbhesirmbhe Member
    edited February 2015

@Ndha said:

>

US based server, broh :)

• @Mark_R said:
    it would be cool if you could do something like dollarvz.com or xvmlabs.com does.

Dang I took a look. Maybe when I pick up some E5s, but there's no way I can offer something like that as of now in good faith :(

• @Jonchun said:
    Dang I took a look. Maybe when I pick up some E5s, but there's no way I can offer something like that as of now in good faith :(

duh, good faith not required. no guarantees, no refunds, good business strategy, haha

• @century1stop said:
    duh, good faith not required. no guarantees, no refunds, good business strategy, haha

so uhh. anyone interested in 32 GB RAM 8 Core Dedicated server? no guarantee. only $20/monthly.

• I looking for deal like xvmlabs do. But with unmattered bandwidth and 1gbps conection to asia would be good

• @Jonchun said:
    so uhh. anyone interested in 32 GB RAM 8 Core Dedicated server? no guarantee. only $20/monthly.

someone will come along..... over our end, prefer to keep reputation intact :)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2015

@Jonchun What you said in OP, but for $3(one provider did it, i was happy with that plan, sadly he is gone due to personal issues).

@Jonchun said:

What do you mean by no guarantee?

• @Radi said:
    Jonchun What you said in OP, but for $3(one provider did it, i was happy with that plan, sadly he is gone due to personal issues).

What do you mean by no guarantee?

It was a joke haha. I meant no guarantee it'll ever be online

• To be honest what we need is a XVMLabs/BudegtVZ/Dollarvz in Europe that's not hosted on OVH a dedicated IP at a yearly cost of under $5. I currently have loads of NAT locations but need some dedicated IPs in the EU

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3