Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode will start charging VAT to EU customers - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode will start charging VAT to EU customers

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yeah, I didnt think of this part.
    Looks like the governments peddled globalization, but when the taxes fly to other countries and people use that pesky free speech in impunity and anonymity, things change.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@rds100 said:

Nah,even in the us they don't charge tax for buying in another state

• @netomx said:
    Nah,even in the us they don't charge tax for buying in another state

Don't give them any ideas, they just might think about it.

Thanked by 2netomx VikingLayer
  • netomx said: Nah,even in the us they don't charge tax for buying in another state

As far as i know the US has both origin based and destination based sales taxes for online sellers. The destination based ones are VERY complicated, they depend on the state, city and district the customer is in. Fortunately these sales taxes don't apply to services... for now.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited February 2015

20% is a huge amount. Probably European people should start to call the cop everyday. It's time to put your tax in good use.

• @chuck - Some countries have 27% eg Hungary, Sweden 25%. Then income tax, whatever else tax on top.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited February 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    chuck - Some countries have 27% eg Hungary, Sweden 25%. Then income tax, whatever else tax on top.

And I thought 10% sale tax here is too high. Alright, Those 20% tax or higher should start to call the cop using payphone. Probably the politicians enjoy this new tax rules.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Chuck said: 20% is a huge amount. Probably European people should start to call the cop everyday. It's time to put your tax in good use.

Yeah, we got huge taxes but we are not letting people die when they can't pay some hospital bills :)

• @Nyr said:
    Yeah, we got huge taxes but we are not letting people die when they can't pay some hospital bills :)

Hehe.

Nyr said: Yeah, we got huge taxes but we are not letting people die when they can't pay some hospital bills :)

Not only that, there are many things EU governments do and the US doesnt, yes, the taxes are high, but I choose to pay them because I have retirement, unemployment benefits, a fairly competent police which does not go around to kill "niggars" or "gypsies", or "yellows", or muslims in the streets, we have no armed gangs, you can walk in any area at midnight without worry, even as unaccompanied woman, the situation is way better than this report shows, because romanians tend to worry too much:
    http://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Romania
    But I am sure in other EU countries it is even better: http://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Finland&country2=United+States.
    High taxes have another benefit, they tend to reduce waste.
    For example, property tax was not applied to agricultural fields and people simply left them unattended which was good for nature and wildlife, but not for agriculture. Since they are now taxed, they started to circulate, elderly people sell them and enterprising farmers put them to work.
    High taxes can work if administered objectively, without dogmas and religion, in the interest of the local communities. High taxes are absolutely needed today all over the world, the increasing gap between rich and poor is undermining the social fabric and self-sustenance of a country, after decades of neocon policies, it is time to rethink the economy and taxation, not to nationalize economy sectors, under any circumstances, but keep a robust public healthcare and school system on which private ones can only improve upon and offer much more to justify the costs.
    Leave it to the market doesnt work, it did not work until 29, it does not work after 80's, but also nationalization and state involvement in the productive economy wont work.
    As an economist, I am all for rewarding talent and enterprising spirit, hard work and brilliant ideas, but cutting taxes for the super rich and big corporations not only that does not help innovation, but empowers those to stifle innovation through various means, and not give a chance to smaller companies which are the main contributors to taxes and source of employment. Big corporations already rule US together with the cults, it is already too late to break the cycle of bigger power to the corporations, bigger bribing funds, even more tax breaks, even more power to them.

Thanked by 2Chuck hostnoob
  • Guys, again with the politics: cest pit please!!

edited February 2015

mpkossen said: Guys, again with the politics: cest pit please!!

This is about taxes and economy. There will be a time when these discussions will be censored as "politics" by the governments and overzealous admins afraid for their "freedom" and "well-being", but it is not here yet, in most countries this is still allowed.
    As for the off-topic excuse, this is about VAT, the differences between EU and US and the ways companies abroad can be forced to collect taxes for other countries. I think it is highly relevant in the RN-VAT discussion, but, feel free to chop anything you consider too far from my posts.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said:
    As for the off-topic excuse, this is about VAT, the differences between EU and US and the ways companies abroad can be forced to collect taxes for other countries. I think it is highly relevant in the RN-VAT discussion, but, feel free to chop anything you consider too far from my posts.

Not really about the differences between US and EU countries.
    To be more specific: "RamNode will start charging VAT to EU customers"

If you want to add something to that, feel free. If you want to post about agriculture taxes in EU/US, please post in the famous pit.

Thank you for reading.

Thanked by 2Nick_A mpkossen
  • smansman Member
    edited February 2015

@rds100 said:
    +1 for RamNode for trying to comply with the laws. Shows that they are a serious company.

Could you be more of an obvious shill for these guys? You make it sound like they are superheros for simply trying to comply with tax laws just like almost everyone else.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2015

sman said: Could you be more of an obvious shill for these guys? You make it sound like they are superheros for simply trying to comply with tax laws just like almost everyone else.

Well, sorry, you are wrong. I am not shilling for RamNode, i'm not even their customer and have never been. Go check my previous history and you will see. I was even very sceptic about them when they started, because i thought they were trying to copy the name of another well known at that time host (RamHost).

And can you tell me how many of the other well known US based companies try to comply with this stupid tax law?

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • well I cannot understand anything from this...

so if I have a company in the US and customers in the EU, I have to collect taxes for the EU?

and how will I file these taxes?

it's ridiculous.

besides the EU wouldn't have juristiction over me if I don't collect VAT and comply with them.

And what about other countries? If I have a tax free company in like Dominica will I still have to charge VAT? how would they stop me if I didn't?

this s**t is getting ridiculous!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Maounique said: we have no armed gangs, you can walk in any area at midnight without worry, even as unaccompanied woman

What the fuck are your smoking haha..... you can yes, if you want to be robbed or raped.

AnthonySmith said: What the fuck are your smoking haha..... you can yes, if you want to be robbed or raped.

Maybe in UK.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    What the fuck are your smoking

LowEndSmack.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said:
    Maybe in UK.

Or Sweden.

• @Maounique said:
    Maybe in UK.

I don't think so.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: What the fuck are your smoking haha..... you can yes, if you want to be robbed or raped.

This isn't the case in (most of) Spain either. You can walk alone at 5 am, no big deal.

• AnthonySmith said: What the fuck are your smoking haha..... you can yes, if you want to be robbed or raped.

This isn't the case in Slovenia either. You can fall asleep drunk in park at 3am. No one will bother you.

Thanked by 18420PR
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

sman said: simply trying to comply with tax laws just like almost everyone else.

What other US VPS providers are charging VAT?

• Nick_A said: What other US VPS providers are charging VAT?

GoDaddy?

haha, oh well, guess I need to move away from northern England then.

Anyhoo @Nick_A you might be interested in this http://vickyford.org/campaigns/vatmoss

Don't be at all surprised if this whole load of bollocks only lasts a few months anyway before you get you €100,000 threshold and can stop charging VAT again.

Frankly it is exactly because I expected this and because my tax authority (HMRC) have pretty much said we wont be touching anyone or bothering with it much for 6 months I am just taking my time to get complaint in the hope that it simply goes away, and I expect it will to be honest.

Spirit said: This isn't the case in Slovenia either. You can fall asleep drunk in park at 3am. No one will bother you.

I have seen the hostel, I will be invited to "the spa" and then get my eyes burned out with a blow torch.!

Thanked by 3hostnoob mikho Nekki
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

rds100 said: GoDaddy?

Yeah, and HostGator. Not sure who "almost everyone else" is though.

AnthonySmith said: Don't be at all surprised if this whole load of bollocks only lasts a few months anyway before you get you €100,000 threshold and can stop charging VAT again.

Sounds good.

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

@Nick_A said:
    What other US VPS providers are charging VAT?

We started charging VAT to our European customers on February 1st. We were aiming for the January 1st date but it just didn't happen as we had an issue getting our VAT number in time. We will end up paying the VAT out of pocket for January for European customers. We figured it was just better to safe than sorry since the penalties are brutal.

So far no complaints or cancellations from those affected by the VAT price increase. I think most clients understand that the tax is collected for their country and don't mind so much as the providers do with the change. It will be interesting to see if other providers decide to become compliant as I haven't seen a lot of the smaller companies (at least based outside the EU) even blink at it.

Thanked by 3Nick_A rds100 Maounique
  • SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@MeanServers said:

I would just like to say that this thread makes me laugh so much. The number of people whom seem to be taking tax advice from LET blows my mind.

Thanked by 1matthewvz