Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode will start charging VAT to EU customers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode will start charging VAT to EU customers

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
edited February 2015 in Providers

Since we are a non-EU supplier of electronic services to customers in the European Union, RamNode is required to charge VAT to customers located in the EU. We will be adding VAT to invoices for EU clients starting on February 19 (for invoices due March 1). We send out invoices 10 days in advance of a due date, so February 19 will be the first batch of invoices for March. If you have a valid VAT ID, you will be able to submit it to us starting February 18.

For more information on how RamNode is handling VAT and how to submit your VAT ID, please see this FAQ article: https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=110

Yes, technically they need to do so, but fact is no one is currently complying. Let's see how this develops for others.

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Well, there are a few examples of US services that actually do charge VAT to EU customers. If I'm not mistaken Amazon is one.

• +1 for RamNode for trying to comply with the laws. Shows that they are a serious company.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2015

-1, Bullshit from the EU again.

• Fucking Europe can shove these new VAT rules up their arse. Enough workarounds though.

• Wonder if they would consider adding a 3 year payment plan so we can buy it before the VAT increase

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • 20% on $15 for me, no big deal.

but fact is no one is currently complying

Silly.

@hostnoob said:
    Wonder if they would consider adding a 3 year payment plan so we can buy it before the VAT increase

The VAT rules came into effect on Jan 1st. Guess its already to late.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @MikHo said:
    The VAT rules came into effect on Jan 1st. Guess its already to late.

It says they will introduce VAT from the 18th Feb though

• @hostnoob said:

Clever, innit. Plenty of time for people to pay in advance without explicitly making that offer.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2015

hostnoob said: It says they will introduce VAT from the 18th Feb though

I am sure they will report and pay the VAT owed for the payments between 1st of January and 18th of February too, they will just pay it out of their pockets.

@hostnoob said:

We had the discussion about the new rules in this thread. http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/35101/the-elephant-in-the-room-vat-rules-jan-2015

@Nekki said:
    Clever, innit. Plenty of time for people to pay in advance.

Even if you add credit the next invoice will be including VAT so that really wont make any difference unless you ask for the next invoice in advance and actually pay for it.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

Nekki said: Clever, innit. Plenty of time for people to pay in advance without explicitly making that offer.

You're inferring a bit too much there. No attempt at being clever. We are just trying to give EU clients at least two weeks notice for what amounts to a pricing change. It took us longer than we hoped to confirm that we needed to make this move.

EDIT: Also, to be clear, we did not decide to do this just based on reading some forum posts. We have talked it over with tax experts familiar with the situation.

• I'm so proud of living in the EU again! :D

• LeeLee Veteran

Meh, don't care, another 20% for the service is worth it to me.

• @Nick_A said:
    You're inferring a bit too much there. No attempt at being clever. We are just trying to give EU clients at least two weeks notice for what amounts to a pricing change. It took us longer than we hoped to confirm that we needed to make this move.

But you are allowing existing customers with invoices to pay settle the minus VAT, right? Is that extended to new customers or are they paying the VAT immediately?

@Nekki said:
    But you are allowing existing customers with invoices to pay settle the minus VAT, right? Is that extended to new customers or are they paying the VAT immediately?

I'm honestly not sure what you're asking. Any current invoices are not being charged VAT. VAT will show up on any invoice from February 19 on. Does that answer your questions?

Thanked by 1mikho
  • @Nick_A said:
    I'm honestly not sure what you're asking. Any current invoices are not being charged VAT. VAT will show up on any invoice from February 19 on. Does that answer your questions?

It does.

Why aren't you charging the VAT to new customers immediately? Too tricky to configure?

• @trexos Norway rulzz :D

Thanked by 1myhken

Nekki said: Why aren't you charging the VAT to new customers immediately?

As indicated above: "We are just trying to give EU clients at least two weeks notice for what amounts to a pricing change."

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited February 2015

Looks like the governments try to cover their ass with this new EU VAT rules. There shouldn't be this EU VAT rules if the governments officials have stopped using tax money like their own money.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited February 2015

@Nick_A So if I purchase credits now I guess all new invoices will be VAT-free as long as they are paid with credits?

Edit: Also, it's unfortunate that the location can't be changed in your WHMCS, I know other providers who allow a simple location change.

• @pbalazs123 it looks like a beautiful country yeah :D

@tr1cky said:
    Nick_A So if I purchase credits now I guess all new invoices will be VAT-free as long as they are paid with credits?

No - any invoice after February 18 will have VAT. VAT will be taken from your credit at that point. The only way to avoid VAT is to submit a VAT ID as a business or not be in an EU member state.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Good on you Nick !

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited February 2015

@Nick_A said:
    No - any invoice after February 18 will have VAT. VAT will be taken from your credit at that point. The only way to avoid VAT is to submit a VAT ID as a business or not be in an EU member state.

What steps are necessary to get a location change?

• @tr1cky said:
    What steps are necessary to get a location change?

Get a new job in the new location, find a nice house or flat, learn the language over there and make some new friends.

Thanked by 2mikho Maounique
  • @Amitz said:

Well, there are big letters that say: "Update Your details", but unfortunately the options are all grayed-out.

• @tr1cky said:
    Well, there are big letters that say: "Update Your details", but unfortunately the options are all grayed-out.

So you essentially would like to fake your address in their client area?

• LeeLee Veteran

@Amitz, sounds like it. @tr1cky, I don't really think RamNode are that type of provider.

• Alternatively, he wants to provide a VAT number. I don't see how you can assume 'fake'.