Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS providers, where do most abusers come from?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS providers, where do most abusers come from?

XeiXei Member
edited February 2015 in General

Mildly curious, where do providers see the most abusers coming from? I monitor a lot of networks, the biggest concentration of abusers seems to be from Asia with the most from China (then HK, MY, ID, etc). After China I'd go with Russia. Do providers see a trend in abusers coming from specific locations, or is it from everywhere / hard to generalize? If they are concentrated in China for example, are you refusing to service people from there? At what point does servicing people from specific countries become cost prohibitive/impact your operations? If this is a crappy ? sorry... but I was genuinely curious if general location of abusers match my experience. :P

Comments

• No. China has been good to us. Mostly anyone on CC that's a problem.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2015

Ever since we stopped advertising on WHT, the rate of abusers on our network dropped. Massively.

Country wise, believe it or not, for us has been Germany.

PS. I am not saying all Germans are abusers, just stating that recently a lot of abuse is related to our German client base.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • China spammers and mining, us cc and address with Chinese IP or proxy, then Indian seo crap.

• Traffic sources attract abusers not really a set country.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @rsk said:
    Ever since we stopped advertising on WHT, the rate of abusers on our network dropped. Massively.

Country wise, believe it or not, for us has been Germany.

PS. I am not saying all Germans are abusers, just stating that recently a lot of abuse is related to our German client base.

What kind of abuse where you seeing? Spam? DDos? Maybe they just used a German VPN or fake address.

• How do you define an "abuser"?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

American kids raging over losing league of legends.

Thanked by 3TheKiller Hassan Pwner
  • America..

• Definitely Indonesia. I think I've had 1 legitimate customer from Indonesia.

Thanked by 1Hassan
  • @TarZZ92 said:
    America..

What do you mean by America ??? North America, South America ???

• martip07 said: What do you mean by America ??? North America, South America ???

North America!

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep
    1. china
    2. Indonasia
    3. India
  • What MY & ID mostly specifically do? Spam? Fraud?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited February 2015

rsk said: Ever since we stopped advertising on WHT, the rate of abusers on our network dropped. Massively.

Do you still advertise on LET/LEB?

I wonder if WHT or LET produces more problematic customers.

• @raindog308 said:
    I wonder if WHT or LET produces more problematic customers.

In my experience WHT, but then again my services probably are not high on a spammers wish list ;)

• I can concur that WHT is a major source of "bad" users. This is the main reason why we stopped advertising our services on WHT long time ago.

• South America (Excl Brazil and Chile) Indonesia, Ukraine, Bulgaria.
    Most dumb folks countries US and Australia
    Really surprised about Africa and Middle East, very good peoples around..

• larslars Member
    edited February 2015

India.

• It seems some providers see overlap in abuser locations and some are from all over the place. Maybe a long term poll would have been better. Thanks for the feedback.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Lately the number of abusers dropped a lot.
    I can't say precisely because a weight in by the number of total users fromt hat area should be done, but, I would say the highest percentage comes from vietnam, then follows china (mostly fake/replica shops). There are many fake US people trying to get in, I do not count those as most are screened out, but the real US people which abuse are illegal torrenters.
    As for spammers, those are from many countries, especially east, india, russia,, but most of those are "resellers" people which get a VPS and setup shared hosting, so, god knows where their customers are from.
    Surprisingly, not many spammers come from China, they probably advertise their fake shops some other way.

• Accept Alipay and see your abuse increase

• if china can clone a phone, car, fake bank, and all scam things. they can fake themselves as Indian.. china top #1 for me in abusers and spammers list.

When I say indian, I include pakistan, bangladesh, sri lanka, I know are not the same, but neither the indians themselves are the same people, there are many tribes and languages there. The divisions were mostly on religious grounds, rather than ethnic.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited February 2015

@creep said:
    if china can clone a phone, car, fake bank, and all scam things. they can fake themselves as Indian.. china top #1 for me in abusers and spammers list.

Same can be said about people faking Chinese IPs.

Remember, hacking is (unfortunately) exists in every single country in this planet. Software piracy just caused the Chinese PCs to be particularly susceptible to hacking.

• Maounique said: When I say indian, I include pakistan, bangladesh, sri lanka,

My Pakistani ex-colleague is very offended every time some calls him an "Indian" dude :)

• Any of the countries on this list look familiar when comparing what people have said in this thread:

More people overall = more spammers/abusers. It's not anything specific to these countries.

• 1.- China
    2.- India
    3.- USA

• Kids that get banned from Minecraft and SAMP servers.

Thanked by 1samczsun

mikeyur said: More people overall = more spammers/abusers. It's not anything specific to these countries.

Yes it is, I did a quick average in my mind, i do not claim it to be even 80% accurate, but it was the closest I could approximate it. An average meaning the number of users from that area and the number of abusers. We used to have a lot of romanian abusers, but for some reason, that ended completely many months ago, maybe one year, which makes me think it was just an individual or organization with many aliases.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Megahosting said: 1.- China 2.- India 3.- USA

Right after @mikeyur's comment and picture, your post seems especially insightful.